Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Should I go to IM Western Australia??
Quote | Reply
I have just gotten the bug to look into/consider going to Busselton for the Ironman Western Australia. This would be my first IM distance race. I wasn't even considering it, until I started talking to my former coach. He has a big crew heading out from Eastern Australia and it would be an absolute blast to race and party with them, and I have heard that the venue is absolutely spectacular.

My concern is this, $$$$$$, this obviously would not be a cheap trip. Major factors to consider 1) my wife will give birth to our first child in about a month, 2) I am PCS'ing (military term for moving) to Washington in August, 3) We are in the process of purchasing our first house, in Washington. The house is new construction, so there won't be any remodeling costs, but I know it will still nickle and dime us to death. The baby, well...yeah...that's not going to be cheap, so much for race wheels this year, or ever!

One positive note to consider: This is the first grandchild for my mother-in-law, and last night she was openly wondering when and where to take her yet-to-be born granddaughter on her first international trip. Hey, Western Australia would be a perfect choice, right? So, there is a chance that the g-parents could come along, which would help with paying for accommodations, food and such.

So...what's my question here??? I guess I'm wondering, what is a realistic dollar amount to figure that this trip will cost us. Would have to go for at least a week to make that mind-numbingly long flight worth the effort. Considering all the above mentioned factors, am I crazy for even considering this?

Have already looked into the Endurance Sports Travel with Ken Glah, they don't have anything finalized yet. My guess is, since that's a package that it may be a tad more expensive than getting a condo with the in-laws and taking care of some of the meals ourselves. Anybody have any experience with the Ken Glah trips?

Dan Hollingsworth

Nobody grows old by merely living a number of years. People grow old only by deserting their ideals. Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up interest wrinkles the soul." - Douglas MacArthur
Quote Reply
Re: Should I go to IM Western Australia?? [hollidan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In my most humble opinion....

Put down the crack Pipe!!!!

1. You do not want to fly to Western Australia with a three month old!! -- it is a very very very long flight!! (Please be nice to your fellow passengers on the plane - don't go)

2. You do not want to have to deal with a wife who is sleeping maybe four hours a day plus have to deal with a baby while trying to get ready for an ironman.

3. Do NOT discount the possibility of Post Pardim depression -- your wife is going to have raging hormones for at least six months after birth -- be nice to her, help her with the baby, do not add the stress of a trip to her load.

4. Don't go by yourself -- your wife will never forgive you -- She may say "Sure honey, you can go to Australia with your friends" -- She is lieing and is testing you!!

5. You WILL have other oppurtunities -- whoopee -- it is a race - why can't it wait until 2006 or even 2007?? Your Child is only born once, is only three months old once, the first year is when your wife needs your help the most.

6. I did Ironman Western Australia in 2004 (three months ago) -- It is a great race!! Great location, fun things to do before and after the race. I would wait until 2006 - have your in-laws stay home and babysit for a week and a half (a 15 month old is old enough to be left with the grand parents) -- take your wife to Busselton and race - then drive down to Margret River and have a second honeymoon with your wife.

As I stated above -- this is just my opinion (I have two kids)
Quote Reply
Re: Should I go to IM Western Australia?? [Sparticus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually, baby would be 8 months old, which still may be a tad early for that long of a trip. I would never consider going without my wife, even if I wanted to, there is no way in hell she would let me go to Australia without her. The only way this trip would work would be if we had some family members come along so they could assist us.

Honestly, my other concern, would be trying to get in adequate training with a new child, my first at that. I know I'm going to want to skip some of my already regularly planned training session to spend time with my family.

I appreciate your opinion Sparticus.

Dan Hollingsworth

Nobody grows old by merely living a number of years. People grow old only by deserting their ideals. Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up interest wrinkles the soul." - Douglas MacArthur
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From memory - race didn't fill last year (or close I don't think). Shouldn't fill again (a guess) - so you could sign up last minute. I have 2 kids (3 y.o. and 19 months) - I wouldn't make any definite plans until you see how work/family/new baby/sleep pans out.

Also seriously consider the costs - I haven't looked that much into it - but a plane ticket to Australia and then across it - plus race expenses - plus regular expenses would add up to 3-4K I'd imagine for 10 days/one person. Have you started your baby's college fund yet?

I've only heard good things about Glah's trips though I have no personal experience....

Good luck - kids are awesome. My 4 hour ride was cancelled today as my 19 month old is sick.....

Dave
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll see you in Busselton:

http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/...orials/0000075.shtml

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will see you in Busselton as well, it'll be my first IM and given the costs, I plan on going 16:59:59 to get a full return on my investment :-)

A friend of mine used Ken's company for Brazil and raved about it. Very well organized. I met Ken at IMF this year and it seems that he should have a good package in place for the race.
Quote Reply
Re: Should I go to IM Western Australia?? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had friends that raced in Busselton and so I watched the race when it was televised on Tuesday this week. I had thought it would be a great race to do but after seeing it I decided not to. The bike course appears to be incredibly flate and incredibly straight some shots on the network coverage showed the road dead straight disappearing off into the distance. Although the coutryside looked beautiful the bike course made Florida look like the Alps. So I thinl it's Forster for my IM Oz.

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So, I am the parent of an 9 month old and JUST starting serious IM training again. I don't work, my husband is fantastic at covering for me, I have babysitting at the Y while I train, and my easygoing little girl slept through the night starting at 3 weeks...and I can't imagine either one of us trying to train for (or travel to) an IM at that young point in her life. I agree with the other poster who said wait until next year. Believe me, you will want to spend your Saturday and Sunday mornings holding your sleeping infant or watching your wife holding your sleeping infant (since most babies do sleep really well during the day!), not heading out for long runs and long rides.

I am doing IMLP this summer--she will be 15 months old and we can drive there. (We are an ex-military family... and I'd imagine that your PCS and new house will be plenty exciting for the three of you.)

Best of luck with you new arrival--enjoy every minute. May s/he be healthy and come with plenty of endurance genes.

-DMG
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You'd better go, buddy-boy! Your surrogate mom and dad are going, and it will be the first time we get to see the wee one. You have the rest of your life to make money, and you don't have to worry about college for another 18 years. Also, we'll be renewing our wedding vows on the beach the day following the IM, and you guys have to be there.
Quote Reply
Re: Should I go to IM Western Australia?? [donks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dad???

Is that you????

Dan Hollingsworth

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes son, it's dad. You, Amy, and the youngun going to show in Aussie? The Cairns group plus 5 from Guam will be there with bells on. Really hope to see you.

mom and dad, aka donks and trigger
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK, lete me state first off that I am going to IMWA, which will be my first IM race, have been to the area several times before and have family there (in Perth).

ARE YOU CRAZY? I had a baby girl (love of my life) last Jan (2004). By the time she was 8 months old, I had my sh*t figured out, had my body more or less back, had weaned her, etc. She's a pretty adaptable baby, oops, toddler now, and didn't mind the 3-4 hr drive to the Okanagan. But we were lucky, our child was happy, healthy, and so were were.

You need to realistic about the fact that you do not know what may happen in the next year re: this child. I have seen too many friends who have had problems either with Mum, baby or some combination to bless this idea. Example: a prior poster mentioned Post Partum depression. It affects 1 in 10 women to the point where they need medical treatment. Or what if baby needs medical treatment? You and your wife may not feel up to travelling for such a long distance with a baby, even if Grandma tags a long. Plus your wife and child may need more of your time in that first year than you realize.

Why not wait until a few months after the child is born, and see how you and your wife is handling it? Even better, if possible, wait until you move. Only 800 or so peope registered last year, I don't know if it will fill up (capacity 1200 or so they say on the website). But you and your wife will have much more confidence as parents, you'll know what you're dealing with (or not)...
Quote Reply
Re: Should I go to IM Western Australia?? [donks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Donks -

It's impossible to commit at this time. Certainly sounds inviting, would absolutely love to see you guys and the AAA'ers. Just kind of throwing the idea around right now. Of course this is also very dependent on if Amy is able to find secure employment once we get to Washington, or if she even wants to for that matter. She says now she wants to go back to work, but we'll see what happens when baby gets here.

We will definitely keep you posted.

Dan Hollingsworth

Quote Reply
Re: Should I go to IM Western Australia?? [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Crazy?? I don't think so. I'm not committing to anything, just kind of batting the idea around. I'm well aware that our immediate future is very unpredictable at best, and I certainly would not commit myself to something that would potentially put a strain on my family.

The other issue that I am weighing is that once I get to Washington I will be assigned to an aircraft carrier. So training for an IM may be difficult for the next couple of years (surrounded by water, but can't go for a swim, huh). Also this may be our only real chance to take a vacation for the next couple of years, if you can call 10-13 hours of swimming, biking and running a vacation. Of course I also realize that Ironman races will not go away in the next 2 years, so I will have ample opportunity to give it a go after my tour on the carrier, this is just a unique opportunity to travel to a wonderful place, accomplish a goal and reunite with very good friends who we have not seen for a couple of years.

I appreciate everybody's insight and advice.

As a side note: Baby almost jumped the gun last night. Went in for our routine 33 week appt and ended up on the Labor & Delivery deck for 6 hours. Turns out mommy is 1.5 cm dilated and 50% effaced (sp?). So now it's a week of bedrest and hope she holds on for at least a couple of weeks. The surprises are starting already. This is going to be a fun ride.

Dan Hollingsworth

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hear ya. I just checked the IMWA registration rolls, it's still pretty empty. Give in 2-3 months, see how everything pans out. I'm sure everything will be good, but this will give you all some breathing room...

I'm doing IMWA because of kinda of similar thinking: we have family in Perth, and this may be our last chance at a big vacation before Kate (dd) turns 2 and pays full airfare. The challenging part is fitting in the training time ;-).

If you decide to go, send me a PM, there's a few STers going, we call all link up for some "carboloading" (i.e.: beers)
Quote Reply