Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Should I go bike with Eddy Merckx? [Marisol] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Sophie

No problems - just thought it might help - it is the easiest way from Cleveland.

Use your tri bike - I know that there are a lot of opinions out there - the main thing you need from this trip - is for YOU - to be happy, comfortable and enjoy the experience!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I went we followed the coast from Rome and it was pancake flat, then turned inland through the Tuscany region to Florence, and it was gently rolling hills, very easy and enjoyable.

Florence is only 150 miles from Rome, and we did it on an easy 3 days on fully loaded touring bikes so it should not be a difficult bike ride. It is beautiful and if you take your time and enjoy the wine and food, you will never forget it.

You sir, are my new hero! - Trifan 11/13/2008

Casey, you are a wise man - blueraider_mike 11/13/2008

Casey, This is an astute observation. - Slowbern 11/17/2008
Quote Reply
Re: Should I go bike with Eddy Merckx? [smartasscoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
make the FRENCH Canadian...even more reason for him to remember her:)
Quote Reply
Re: Should I go bike with Eddy Merckx? [Zulu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL... Good point, I forgot how much belgians like Merckx just LOVE the french... ;-)

-
"Yeah, no one likes a smartass, but we all like stars" - Thom Yorke

smartasscoach.tri-oeiras.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure what type of bike tour/trip/camp this is. Is it one of these wine and chees lux tours or is it more geared to the performance cyclist?

Whatever, time spent riding with or sitting on the wheel of a great cyclist is ALWAYS time well spent, particularly for triathletes, many of whom don't seem to really get it, as to what cycling, and most importantly what pedalling a bike is all about. Many seem to think it's all about hammering! However, if you sit on the wheel of any really good cyclist for any length of time the first thing you notice is that regardless of the terrain, regardless how hard they are working, regardless of what gear they are in or what bike they are riding or what else they are doing the pedalling action and motion looks almost totaly without effort. It is ALWAYS smooth, quiet and with a tremendous ease of motion and economy. Triathletes would do well to study this in detail and there is no better way to do that, then sitting on the wheel of a great cyclist hour after hour for a few days.

Fleck

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Italy is a great place to ride.The course you will be riding probably will have everything from rollers to steady climbs and flats. We go there every year to train and eat and immerse ourselves in Italian way of life which is a lot more relaxed and care-free.

Last year Merckx was at Riccione for the start of Coppi-Bartali stage race and we had the chance to rode with him for 20-30 miles with a small group of people.

I say go for it.

--------------------------------------------------------
I see obsessed people.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Eddy freakin Merckx???? You must be just trying to rub it in! Going is not a question. By all means go with your road bike and a camera with lots of film or memory. Pictures of you and Eddy posted after your return.
Quote Reply
Re: Should I go bike with Eddy Merckx? [trijs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
actually I was not trying to rub it in. I didn't grow up knowing who he was, so I do now, but still it didn't have the same effect as : "i am going to ride with Lance" But I am excited and think i will go for sure now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
a camera, a few photos of him maybe riding one of the epic tour stages - and a sharpie!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
actually I was not trying to rub it in. I didn't grow up knowing who he was, so I do now, but still it didn't have the same effect as : "i am going to ride with Lance" But I am excited and think i will go for sure now.
LOL... like you thought anyone would say "no, don't go"... and tell Smartasscoach that his "europe is hilly" admonition/enlightenment cracks me up ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: Should I go bike with Eddy Merckx? [Diablo-Advocato] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i GUESS I JUST WANTED TO BE CONVINCED AND i AM. pURPOSE SERVED.
Quote Reply
Re: Should I go bike with Eddy Merckx? [smartasscoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
LOL... Good point, I forgot how much belgians like Merckx just LOVE the french... ;-)
Merckx, is Flemish and has no problems with the French... that's a Walloon thing...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I have that opportunity, 6 days from florence to rome in may. what do you guys think? I think I want too, i would like to get feedback from people who have ridden there. dR pAULO thinks I am not ready for that.
Based on photos I have seen, Eddy has gotten a bit flabby. This might be deceiving, becasue Jan often looks quite flabby and still can ride pretty well come July. Might be some good sandbag training.

"When I first had the opportunity to compete in triathlon, it was the chicks and their skimpy race clothing that drew me in. Everyone was so welcoming and the lifestyle so obviously narcissistic. I fed off of that vain energy. To me it is what the sport is all about."
Quote Reply
Re: Should I go bike with Eddy Merckx? [Tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How old are these photos? He lost a great deal of weight in the past year or so and is very fit. Unless he's chubbed up quite recently.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Should I go bike with Eddy Merckx? [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He was lean and mean at Interbike... so unless he overindulged in frites and bier since then I suspect he's still looking good...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I rode in the Florence area last summer. Florence south toward Siena. It was the highlight of my trip. Very hilly but the people are very friendly towards bikes. I am itching to do it again.

enjoy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow Sophie, that sounds great! GO NOW. I agree with R10C - by far the greatest cyclist ever. I would much rather bike with the cannibal than Lance for sure.

I've seen you ride in a pack just fine on your Tri bike and you should be fine. You even did pretty good in Indian Hill. If anything, you are overly cautious and that will be appreciated by a large contingent of unknown cyclists. I'm sure they would remember the French Canadian/American/Triathlete - can't bee too many of you there :)

Now I would love to see Chip (Record10Carbon) blasting down some hills in Italy through a pack on his polished Litespeed. I chased him down Kugler Mill Hill last summer (after he asked about any sharp curves) at about 50mph and couldn't quite catch him (right before our photo op on the cannon). Somehow I think they would remember him just as well.

Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
i looked into flights, delta doesn't go to florence, I am scared of connections with a bike. How far is rome from florence? maybe I could take a bus or a train.
If you decide to take a train w/your bike you may want to check with someone from Europe on how to do it properly. I was at the TDF this past year and purchase a ticket on a train that 'allowed' bikes (there was even a picture of a bike on my reservation) and they wouldn't let me on the train with my bike.

"And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country" JFK - Replace 'country' with the company you work for, friends, family, and strangers and the world will be a much better place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply]I do now, but still it didn't have the same effect as : "i am going to ride with Lance" [/reply]

It's better than riding with Lance. Way better. It'd be like SCUBA diving with Jacques Cousteau. Or playing shinny with Wayne Gretzky.

Buy yourself a road bike (that fits) and GO!!! :)

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
STAY HOME AND RIDE ON YOUR TRAINER, save the money for some new wheels or whatever you desire, then send ME the ticket to Italy to ride with EDDY.

I cant believe that you had to ask the masses to persuade you to do this.

------------------------------------------------------

http://home.pacbell.net/diana_do/knowjack.htm
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is my opinion that you will look like a total loser if you go on a tri bike. If that is the only bike you have, go anyway, it will be fun.

----------------------------------------------------
Striving to have sex more than 66 times per year
Quote Reply
Re: Should I go bike with Eddy Merckx? [Erik Clark] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
She should check with the group, after all its a group ride and most likely group rides wont allow tri bikes, and if they do then you wont be allowed to ride in the aero position.

Go with the road bike, or do you need to start another thread asking the masses, what bike should i ride with eddy, tri or road?

------------------------------------------------------

http://home.pacbell.net/diana_do/knowjack.htm
Quote Reply
Re: Should I go bike with Eddy Merckx? [diamonddog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
If you decide to take a train w/your bike you may want to check with someone from Europe on how to do it properly. I was at the TDF this past year and purchase a ticket on a train that 'allowed' bikes (there was even a picture of a bike on my reservation) and they wouldn't let me on the train with my bike.

Yes, you can take a bike on many trains in Europe. But there is almost always a designated carriage in which they have to be placed, often the baggage car. So there's always the risk of theft or damage. And I can't imagine you'll have panniers on the Lucero, so it's also a pain trying to move luggage and bike. I think you will end up frustrated at best with the experience.

Why not ask if the ride organizers can rent you a bike? Just take shoes and pedals, and they deal with the rest. They would probably also take the time to help you get your position right on a road bike, that might be useful to you in the long run. Then however many days you can spare beyond the tour itself you won't be having to deal with a bike.

If you've never been to Italy before, I'd look at this as a cultural experience first and some cycle training and coaching as a bonus. If you approach it with an open mind, it could be one of the top ten experiences of your life.

Brian

Brian

Gonna buy a fast car, put on my lead boots, take a long, long drive
I may end up spending all my money, but I'll still be alive
Quote Reply
Re: Should I go bike with Eddy Merckx? [ergopower] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you've never been to Italy before, I'd look at this as a cultural experience first and some cycle training and coaching as a bonus. If you approach it with an open mind, it could be one of the top ten experiences of your life.

Brian[/reply]

AMEN!

I would also suggest to talk to the trip organizers as they may have suggestions regarding travel and perhaps will arrange pick up or other in-country travel.

clm, who counts cycling trips to France (2x) and Belgium on my top 10 list.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you really need a web forum to make this decision for you? How about just making a thread saying "look what I get to do!" Really, your a Kona legit qualifier, hot as hell, have some confidence please.
Quote Reply

Prev Next