Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Shorty Bars; What kind do you have? A follow-on to prior post
Quote | Reply
I mean those stubby straight-ish ones triathletes who can't get over themselves use on their road bikes without shifters in the ends. What kind do you have and give a link to the site?
Last edited by: Monk: May 18, 05 20:06
Quote Reply
Re: Shorty Bars; What kind do you have? A follow-on to prior post [Monk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the VisionTech TT Mini Clip-On's. I like 'em cause they aren't too big and don't scream "triathlete," (at least, I don't think they do), but still allow me to get down in an aero position when it's windy or if I want to practice riding in aero.

http://www.visiontechusa.com/fly.aspx?layout=product&taxid=143&pid=252

They are not super comfortable, but they seem pretty stealthy compared to regular clip ons... I like them better than the full profile carbon strykes I had on. I use them a little bit, but mostly they stay out of sight...

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Shorty Bars; What kind do you have? A follow-on to prior post [Monk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm using the original Profile Jammer GT's on my road bike. They work great for those times when group riding when I'm either pulling at the front or trying to catch the tail end if I'm being dropped. They also have a newer carbon version called the CGT. You can find both here.

http://www.profile-design.com/product_pages/clip_on/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the Vison Tech Mini TT on order.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just ordered some Syntace XXS

http://www.trisports.com/syxxsae.html

Going to set up the road bike in the slam position.

Re: Shorty Bars; What kind do you have? A follow-on to prior post [Cmikul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's the size I had in mind--but it needs the S-Bend, and it should be carbon. I don't know why.

http://www.visiontechusa.com/...axid=143&pid=252
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've used the Oval Slam bars on my road bike - love them. Do you want to borrow them to try? They're not the current high zoot style, but I think they do work pretty well. Let me know.

Cheers

Barry
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've also got a pair of VisionTech minis ordered.

RP
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Visiontech minis are on my road bike as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oval Slam Bars on Merlin Agilis

fal7 in Houston
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CGTs. I bought them purely on looks. I think that they're cute and they make my bike look awesome.

http://www.profile-design.com/...lip_on/clip_cgt.html

The quality control, on the other hand, is questionable. One of the bars is actually 1cm longer than the other. Huh? I don't get how that could happen...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i ride the cinelli spinacci lite, and i've got no idea why more people don't ride them. they definitely don't scream "triathlete", and are perfect for the situations you've described. i also use them for short-course and draft-legal tris. in terms of adjustability and price, they ruin the competition. and on weight, nobody competes at any price point: 195g.

-mike

(i think the site's www.cinelli.it - a very cool page)

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a set of the Vision Mini's. I was looking for Spinacci's, but no-one appears to stock them anymore - at least locally.

I found that the pads that come with the Vision Mini's are a bit shallow to be comfortable on for more than a few minutes, because it takes a lot of forearm "tension" to use them. I ordered a set of "deluxe" pads and plan on installing them as soon as I get home. Note that the deluxe pads come with a few risers and different length bolts, and that they are also thicker than the standard alu pad brackets that come with the minis. The problem is that they don't provide bolts for just using the deluxe pads with no risers. You'll have to cut down some of the longer bolts for to put the deluxe pads directly on the mini bars.

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: Shorty Bars; What kind do you have? A follow-on to prior post [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
because it takes a lot of forearm "tension" to use them.
By this, do you mean that your elbows are farther back of the pads than on non-shorty aeros, so you are body weight is levering your forearms against the pads?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had some hacked up VT's - basically the mini, but before it was commercially available. The mini pads are pretty useles, and I had trouble staying in them for longer than 10 minutes without a lot of fore arm pain.

I decided to ride my road bike in a hilly 1/2 IM, but the pads just are not comfortable enough - I even tried the larger pads from my road bike, but it wasn't working out. I picked up some Profiles with the F-19 pads - I think they are the Jammer GT's. Anyway, the pads are comfy, the stack height is perfect (I still have the hands by the stem climbing position), but the extensions leave a bit to be desired. To get them to fit me, I had to pull them off and switch them - left for right and right for left, then I turned them pretty much straight up and down. They aren't perfect, but the are good enough. Perhaps I will invest in some S-bend extensions for them at some point - they would probably be ideal for this geometry.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kind of, yeah. I don't think it's so much of a "levering" effect as it is the size and placement of the pads. They're only about 1.5" deep (fore/aft), and hit a little forward of the midpoint between my elbows and wrists - so the muscles are under tension to keep the position. Bigger pads won't do a whole lot about where they hit the forearms, but a larger surface area would likely allow me to relax a bit more while using them.

I'll let you know once I get them installed.

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply