Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Short TT's- When not to be aero?
Quote | Reply
I have a 10mi TT coming up that has 4 short climbs in it. I can big ring the entire course, but the short hills (~90 seconds) can slow me down to 11- 14 mph. In practice last week, I rode them aero, and tried to hold back on the watts to be able to push over the hills.

It does make me wonder though if I would be faster to at least sit up, if not stand up to power over the hills. One of the guys that I was practicing with stood up and passed me, I stayed aero, and as soon as the hill crested, I went past him pretty quickly, I wonder if he blew up a little.

Are there any articles that explain what to do as far as positioning?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Short TT's- When not to be aero? [196nautique] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I have a 10mi TT coming up that has 4 short climbs in it. I can big ring the entire course, but the short hills (~90 seconds) can slow me down to 11- 14 mph. In practice last week, I rode them aero, and tried to hold back on the watts to be able to push over the hills.

It does make me wonder though if I would be faster to at least sit up, if not stand up to power over the hills. One of the guys that I was practicing with stood up and passed me, I stayed aero, and as soon as the hill crested, I went past him pretty quickly, I wonder if he blew up a little.

Are there any articles that explain what to do as far as positioning?

Thanks

what gearing are you running? down around 20 kph for 90-seconds doesn't sound "big-ringing it" to me ..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stay aero

Ride Scoozy Electric Bicycles
http://www.RideScoozy.com
Quote Reply
Re: Short TT's- When not to be aero? [rmur] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was thinking the same thing. Big ringing hills for 90 seconds at 14 mph sounds like a recipe for some trashed legs. I prefer to keep the cadence up.

I did a very hilly 20 mile TT this past weekend (2,000 feet of cum elevation gain per my Topo software ... which I think tends to exaggerate, but still ...). I like to stay aero as much as possible, but ultimately, you've gotta do what's going to keep you going the fastest. I was out of the saddle, into the small ring ... whatever it took to keep it going.

I think there was a time when the prevailing thought was to stay aero almost no matter what. But watch the top pros like Cancellara nowdays. They use all the bike and do whatever they need to do to get the most speed. Ultimately, that's all that matters.

Bob C.

The "science" on any matter can never be settled until every possible variable is taken into account.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did the same race as Psycholist Saturday,i like to slide back sit up a little and try to power up the hills,i did stand up parts of some hills,standing gives me a little break uses some different muscles then i sit and get aero again
Quote Reply
Re: Short TT's- When not to be aero? [toolguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just looked at the PT file again to get the numbers right. Gearing is 53 front 12- 25 rear. I was climbing either in 53x23 or 53x21 (or whatever the 2nd and 3rd largest cogs are). 73 seconds to climb the one hill that bothers me most. 390 ave. watts, 81 ave RPM (63 min.) 17.5 ave MPH (12.5 min). Probably going 12- 14 MPH for 10- 15 seconds

I am thinking aero is the way to go, if for no other reason than to keep me from going standing and sprinting over the hill and blowing up. I seem to be able to keep myself under control better if I don't stand......
Quote Reply