Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Shoe sizing help: Fizik Aria, Shimano S-Phyre, Bont Zero+
Quote | Reply
Hi ST,

Looking for some help with shoe sizing. I am currently using a pair of Fizik Aria R3 size EU44.5 / US11 / 287mm. It is fine although half a size up might have been even more perfect. I like the shoe but I'd like to try the following two pairs: Shimano S-Phyre and Bont Zero+.

What sizes should I pick for each of them?

I am thinking Shimano EU45.5 / US11 / 290mm and Bont Zero+ EU46 / US11 (standard)

Any experience on how those sizes would compare to my current Fiziks?

Thanks a lot!

Instagram
Youtube Channel
Meta Endurance

Quote Reply
Re: Shoe sizing help: Fizik Aria, Shimano S-Phyre, Bont Zero+ [captainolek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Depends where you feel the current shoe is or isn't comfortable for you. They're very different shoes.

I had the Shimano R-171 in 44.5 (also tried S-Phyre in 45) for 2 years, rode the Fizik R1 (pre-Infinito, which is pretty much the R3 Aria) in size 45 for a year, now ride in Bont Helix in size 45W for just over a year. I can't imagine going back to the R1s because of the narrowness, now that I learned how comfortable a wider shoe is for me. However, length-wise, they're all comparable. Bont 46 will be way too long if a Fizik 44.5 is what you currently ride, I think.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Re: Shoe sizing help: Fizik Aria, Shimano S-Phyre, Bont Zero+ [tessar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So Bont 45 as well and probably shimano 45.5 would be too big...

The Aria basically feels too snug. I like a shoe that locks the foot down nicely but without compressing it as the Aria does. Which one would you suggest to try first based on that?

In the end which one do you prefer and why? Thanks

Instagram
Youtube Channel
Meta Endurance

Quote Reply
Re: Shoe sizing help: Fizik Aria, Shimano S-Phyre, Bont Zero+ [captainolek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't worn the other shoes, but I am a big fan of the Bont shoe line due to their wider toe box (this is not the same as just getting a wide shoe width). Sizing for the Bonts was pretty true to size for me (I have worn the Vaypor + and the Vaypor S, not the Zero +), but I recommend their online sizing tool which actually shows you how to measure your foot and pick the correct size.
Hope this helps,
Brian
Quote Reply
Re: Shoe sizing help: Fizik Aria, Shimano S-Phyre, Bont Zero+ [bpe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes it does help - thanks, Brian! Are you a fan of wider toe boxes for running shoes as well? (I am not so asking to find out whether a correlation can be made here)

Instagram
Youtube Channel
Meta Endurance

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In the end I stuck with the Bont Helix, because I need the width at the front. Once molded, they fit great with zero numbness, perfect stiffness. For size reference, I also tried 46 according to the size chart and they were way too long - like, 2cm of space in front of my toes. The Bont are not perfect, the foothold is not ideal with a single BOA and I haven't quite molded out a slightly annoying spot above my left arch - but I'll live with the downsides.

The Shimano were great but I totaled them in a bad crash, I'd probably go for the S-Phyre again if I didn't have the Fizik on hand at the time. They didn't grip my foot as well as the other shoes, though they were comfy and stiff.

The luxurious materials and firm grip of the Fizik were unmatched, but I'd have to cut off a toe to wear them again - in hindsight, way too narrow for me. Another shoe that comes close in feel, but better comfort is the Bontrager XXX (also 45 for me, so in my experience these all fit true to size).

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am. I am a big fan of Altra shoes. I run in Escalante 2s and wear the Solstice XT in the gym.

The only thing I wish Bont would do is come out with a road shoe with more mesh to make it lighter and cooler in the summer months.
Last edited by: bpe: Apr 10, 20 7:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quick follow-up on this thread in case someone has the same question I had. Went for Shimano S-Phyre in size EU 45.5. Coming from Fizik Aria R3 in size EU 44.5, the sizing is great and the fit seems to be more what I was looking for. First ride with them in a few hours :-)

Thanks for all your inputs

Instagram
Youtube Channel
Meta Endurance

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So I am rather happy with the Shimano S-Phyre shoes though I should have probably gone half a size down. They're definitely better than my old Arias R3 but it's not perfect yet in terms of comfort for 4+ hrs rides.

I am looking at other options and Sworks shoes seem to be rather popular. Anyone can tell me how they compare to the Sphyre? (I am talking about the Sworks 7 not the Vent or Exos special editions)

Thanks!

Instagram
Youtube Channel
Meta Endurance

Quote Reply