Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Shiv Fuelselage Customization Help
Quote | Reply
Hi ST,

This weekend, I was attempting to (again...and again...and again) install the fuelselage water storage bladder into the SHIV. I ride a large (thus there should be enough space) but I still can not get it to install correctly. I've watched videos, read forum tips on here and tried everything under the sun. I think I am cursed. I've given up.

Has anyone ever converted their Fuelselage hole into a storage solution?

I'm thinking of performing the reverse 'FELT IA to SHIV.' This would require knowing the frame plate dimensions and then modelling a bento box to sit inside of it. Sure, I can add a bento box on top, but I'm thinking something integrated into the frame.

Ideas? Suggestions? Rants about how hard it is to install the bladder?
Quote Reply
Re: Shiv Fuelselage Customization Help [ilove2tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use mine all the time, it can be a little fiddly but not so tough & I have a medium frame
I use the drinking tube to feed the bladder into the frame, compressing the bladder to the tube as I feed it in. If it doesn't go in easily, take it out & try again. Once it is in I blow in the top to open it out into the frame. I have also made a bit of a tool to to this but I don't always use it.
Quote Reply
Re: Shiv Fuelselage Customization Help [Doca] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've made a tool too for that purpose, it's a foot long piece of hosepipe
Quote Reply
Re: Shiv Fuelselage Customization Help [Whitters] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bought a tool from Home Depot, but I'm pretty sure Lowes carries it too. It's a 1" piece of PEX pipe. I also use it to hold my fuselage upside down to dry when it's not being used.

I don't know that there's a silver bullet for figuring it out. Other than keep trying. It can be a bit of a trick, but it's not impossible and with some practice it's not hard to do at all. But it is hard to do on a "one-off" basis if you only do it once or twice ever couple of years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2 tips:

- light dusting of baby powder on outside of bladder before inserting
- wire coat hanger bent into a long shape, I use that to help push it in from the inside of the bladder
Quote Reply
Re: Shiv Fuelselage Customization Help [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Two things helped me (also L Shiv)....

a) being aware that it needs to not just slide down, but also back--so make sure you're pushing diagonally down.

b) giving it some "mouth-to-mouth resuscitation" as you try to get it to inflate in the frame. That always allows for the most water storage, I've found.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
when you insert the bladder it should be pointing diagonally down, towards the front wheel. If you try to go straight down it gets stuck. You really have to aim towards the front wheel then once it goes in you can change direction towards the back to follow the down tube. With a few mods the fuselage works quite well. I changed the mouthpiece to a camelbak bite valve and also don't use the stock magnet but speedfil retractor. Also you can use some strategic zip tie loops to help control the hose.

https://www.amazon.com/CamelBak-Bite-Replacement-Hydration-Valve/dp/B0019DCVTA/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1533583565&sr=8-1&keywords=camelbak+mouthpiece

https://takeahikeshop.com/products/speedfil-micro-retractor-for-hydration-tubes?variant=37754703822&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google%20Shopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIr-GYs5TZ3AIVlVYNCh0o5whJEAYYASABEgKPevD_BwE
Last edited by: artvark: Aug 6, 18 12:32
Quote Reply