Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Shimano WH-7701 v. Kysrium Elites?
Quote | Reply
For a road bike. Need to make a decision pretty quick. Is one set markedly better than the other? Any other alternatives at this price point?

RP
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano WH-7701 v. Kysrium Elites? [Robert Preston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can't comment on the Shimano's, but I've been riding Elites for a couple years now as my training wheels. Love 'em - they're absolutely bomb-proof...I'm usually around 180-185# at the beginning of the season, and I tend to bunny-hop obstacles from time to time. They're still as true as the day I got 'em..solid, and no creaks. Even without rim strips, I rarely flat on these wheels. My only observation (and it's very minor) is that they do get water in them after rainy rides - guess it's due to the way the nipples join the rim - no big deal.

http://www.litespeed.com
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano WH-7701 v. Kysrium Elites? [mthammer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ride the predecessor to the Shimano 7701s the 7700s. I really like them, but the are no longer made. Shimano 7700 and 7701 wheels are semi-aero wheels at 30mm of rim height whereas Kysriums are not aero wheels at something like 23-25mm rim height--the difference in rim height actually does make a slight difference. They are both great wheelsets as I have used both, but service for the Ksyriums can be done anywhere in the world b/c everyone sells them. Kysriums are very durable training wheels and probably the best value overall. If they are training wheels and interim race wheels go with the Kysriums. If they are just race wheels go with Dura Ace 7701s.
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano WH-7701 v. Kysrium Elites? [Spandexboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's another choice: How 'bout some Mavic SSC SL's? How do they compare? These wheels are not for my bike. A neighbor is getting a new road bike, and he and I have talked about wheels. I'm not that familiar with the particulars of these wheelsets, so I'm basically just passing his questions on to y'all (I tend to do that quite a bit). And oh yeah, my neighbor is 6'2", 240.

Thanks for the help so far.

RP
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bump. Sorry, couldn't resist.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd go with the Shimano wheels over the Mavics unless you see a change to Campagnolo drivetrain is in the future.

-SD

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The big boys that I ride with often swear by the Ksyrium Sl's as being super stiff, strong and good for big riders. Not to much feedback on the Shimano wheels.

I think your neighbour would be hard put to do better than the Mavic.
Quote Reply