Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Shimano Di2 Shifting Problem
Quote | Reply
I have a Cervelo P3 with Shimano Di2 shifters and 2 sets of bar end shifters, one set on the aerobars and one set on the handlebars. They are set up so the left buttons put you in a higher (easier) gear and the right buttons put you in a lower (harder) gear. I think the front chainrings are 39/53 and the rear cassette is 11/30. The battery is fully charged, and the problem just developed in the past few weeks.

The problem is that for the first 10-15 minutes of riding the front derailleur will not shift from the small chainring to the big chainring. The rear derailleur shifts normally, and when the front would normally go to the big ring the rear goes from the 7th cassette to the 5th (I think). In any event, it goes where it would if the front went to the big ring. Somehow it knows the front did not change, because additional shifting results in a 5-6-7-5-6-7 pattern. After a period of riding, maybe a certain number of shift attempts, the front goes to the big chainring and everything is fine from that point on. But the next ride it's the same problem.

If I start in the big chainring, all is good until I shift to the small chainring, at which point it again takes the extended riding period described above before the front will shift back to the big chainring and normal operation returns.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano Di2 Shifting Problem [alanpollenz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey so are you super positive it's all the way charged? Because the behavior you're describing is low battery behavior. I'm wondering if the block you're using on the end of your Di2 charger is powerful enough to give it the full charge. I had previously used a smaller iphone block and it wasn't giving it enough power until I switched to an anker high speed (read high power) block that plugged into the wall.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is your Synchro Shift mode on?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try this, press your little black button on the junction box first 2 times fast after each other, and if that doesn’t solve it, do it again but now 3 times pressing that little button and check again

Jeroen

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano Di2 Shifting Problem [chetatkinsdiet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I have used this particular block for a while now, without problems. The Shimano charger has an orange indicator light that indicates charging. After a period of time it goes out, indicating charged. I realize the behavior is symptomatic of low battery, however, I get a solid green indicator for 2 seconds on the junction box when checking the battery charge; this is followed by blinking red and green 3 times.
Last edited by: alanpollenz: Aug 1, 21 15:40
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano Di2 Shifting Problem [RichardL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. It is in full syncho (S2) mode.
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano Di2 Shifting Problem [TRIPRO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you. Tried your suggestion but it did not resolve the problem.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To all those that have offered suggestions, thanks. I have uploaded a video of the problem to youtube. Hopefully you can at least see how the shifting is not working, as well as hear the attempts the FD makes when it gets to the normal shift points.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3GFK_Wgd58
Last edited by: alanpollenz: Aug 1, 21 16:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vid unavailable for me.

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano Di2 Shifting Problem [DrAlexHarrison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I suppose it might have helped if I had actually made the video public and published it. And to think I ride bikes. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is a crash mode on these things be sure it’s not in that but I doubt it is.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The FD motor is attempting to move when it's supposed to. My very uninformed guesses are:
  1. The FD has slid down it's braze-on mount a bit and is snagging the teeth of the large chainring. It's possible that with enough attempts to shift, it works its way up higher on it's mounting point by just enough to continue shifting as "normal." I've had weirder things happen. (weirder to me, but obvious to a bike mechanic)
    OR
  2. The joints of the FD are stuck and need cleaning/lubing. Again, could be freed up by enough shift attempts and vibration of riding that it starts to shift normally 10-15min into ride.

I'm not a pro mechanic by any means.

FYI: if battery were dead, the FD would never leave the small chainring. It dumps into small chainring with about 100 RD shifts remaining on battery life. I know this precisely because I'm not a pro bike mechanic ;)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you downloaded the e-tube software and had a look at things on a PC? It is very easy to do and will give you a lot of information. I am no expert but I would start by looking at what the software is telling you when you connect it up to a PC.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll look again at the relationship of the FD to chairing, but I'm leaning towards #2. Agree on the battery. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano Di2 Shifting Problem [Amnesia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm a Mac guy but only found software for windows based machines. I may have an old windows laptop around. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am bumping this back up as I am having problems...and have been having issues that I cannot resolve since Eagleman.

• downloaded all updates
  • checked the derailleur screws to make sure they are not catching
  • checked to make sure everything is clean
  • e-tube app says everything is in working order and set to factory settings

Just dumbfounded why I cannot shift off of the big front gear.
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano Di2 Shifting Problem [LifeTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m having the same issue. Noticed it started during Musselman. I’m thinking it’s a software bug that causes the Di2 to lose what gear it is in. I find I have to shift all the way to my smallest gear (39x28) and then work my way back down and it shifts the front derailleur.
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano Di2 Shifting Problem [LifeTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does it still shift off the big gear after "warming up"?

Quote Reply
Re: Shimano Di2 Shifting Problem [HokiePhD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very interesting. Yep sounds like a non-mechanical issue. This is where I really step out of usefulness in the convo. ;)

Quote Reply