Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Shifting issue - rear derailleur
Quote | Reply
Last week preparing my bike for a tri I replaced the cassette and chain. Took the bike for a 30 min spin and ran through all gears -- no problems.

Race day: 30 mins into sprint bike, climbing a hill I shift from the big ring to the little ring and the chain is spinning freely on the rear cogs. I quickly shifted back into the big ring then back down: same thing, but I noticed the rear derailleur was snapping around quite a bit during the shifts. So I shifted back into the big ring and stayed there for the remainder of the race.

The chain is the exact length of the original chain -- the only reason I replaced it is that one of the outer link brackets was coming loose (or looked bent, whatever). I ran through all gears on the bike rack and during a ride, so derailleur adjustments seemed ok.

Any thoughts?

----------------------------------------------------
Note to self: increase training load.
Quote Reply
Re: Shifting issue - rear derailleur [SignalStrength] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What bike is it?

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you sure it's the R/D and not the F/D? I've had to adjust my F/D on occasion when the chain doesn't fully engage the small ring when dropping from the big ring. In other words, the chain sits between the two rings, not fully engaged in the small ring, and definitely NOT on the big ring, and when you pedal, it's as if your spinning the gears as you described. This may also be a function of which gear (i.e. chain line) you're in when you change rings. I opened up my F/D limit screw a bit, and all was fine.

I wanna go fast!
Quote Reply
Re: Shifting issue - rear derailleur [More is MORE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
What bike is it?

P3 with compact cranks (50/34 front and was running 12/25 rear).

As to rear/front issue: heat of the moment during a race, I glanced down and I'm certain the chain was firmly on the front derailleur. It was the point in a hill where I was shifting down though, so I really didn't have a chance to see where the chain was/wasn't engaged. I have seen the front derailleur issue mentioned before, so I'm pretty sure I would have recognized it.

I'm planning to try to duplicate the issue, was just wondering if these symptoms were obvious.

----------------------------------------------------
Note to self: increase training load.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was wondering if the bike you had has internal cable routing. I had the exact same issue with my old Klein, which also had internal cabling, the problem turned out to be that the derailleur cables were twisted inside the downtube. What that did was that when I shifted gears on the front derailleur, that would affect the cable tension on the rear derailleur and bring the gears significantly out of adjustment.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply