Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Shaving legs - any tips?
Quote | Reply
Hey ST, getting fast enough to be interested in shaving my legs. Tried it once 10 years ago and it went terrible - got like a bunch of red bumps / folliculitis.

Any tips on how to approach shaving down? Next race is in late May so figured i would shave now and figure it out

Thanks for any suggestions or pro tips!
Quote Reply
Re: Shaving legs - any tips? [Yrocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I always use the oldest blade head I have and start with long passes going up the leg starting from the ankle.

Make sure the leg is dry so you get a clean slice of each hair.

Last edited by: STeaveA: May 6, 23 10:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use an electric razor, it's pretty good! I shave all exposed hair including the arms
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use a hair trimmer without a guard. Obviously not a super close shave, but no bumps or ingrown hairs to worry about.
Quote Reply
Re: Shaving legs - any tips? [rainstorm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rainstorm wrote:
I use an electric razor, it's pretty good! I shave all exposed hair including the arms

You might wanna go for the non-exposed as well

There's no aero benefit but there are some chafing issues that could be remediated, especially when in conjunction with undercarriage lubricants, e.g., Squirrels Nut Butter

YMMV

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yrocket wrote:
Hey ST, getting fast enough to be interested in shaving my legs. Tried it once 10 years ago and it went terrible - got like a bunch of red bumps / folliculitis.

Any tips on how to approach shaving down? Next race is in late May so figured i would shave now and figure it out

Thanks for any suggestions or pro tips!

Atrocious advice above.

Step 1: electric razor to take the length off
Step 2: go to town to shaving foam
Step 3: use a hand held razor with a brand new blade, being particularly careful over the shin bone, knee and behind the knee
Step 4: moisturise a lot
Step 5: race
Quote Reply
Re: Shaving legs - any tips? [PJH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nobody strops a straight razor and shaves like a real man? Nothing makes you aero like trimming a quarter inch off the front of your shin.

Actual advice: liberal use of shaving gel. Make sure your legs are really warm before you shave. Use your hand to feel where you missed a spot or two.
Quote Reply
Re: Shaving legs - any tips? [PJH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
solid advice above from PJH. and it's not only about being fast, btw. do the full body shave, hit chest too. something i've not heard many mention, but with our inevitable multiple showers per day, waaay quicker to towel off with no body hair holding moisture. couple quick towel passes, done!

for fun, maybe look up sheep shearing competitions, those guys know how to manage time and make short work of it, watch
how fast they work. i'm sure you'll figure out how to get reasonably quick at it. (yourself, not sheep) 6minutes or so, start to
finish. Good luck Yrocket!

http://www.PatGriskusTri.com USAT Certified Race Director
2024 Races: USAT State of CT Age Group Championship/State of CT HS Champs/ CT Club Championship - Sat June 15th (Oly/Du/Sprint) Hopkins Vineyard Tri at Lake Waramaug Saturday July 13th http://www.HopkinsVineyardTri.com
Quote Reply
We Re: Shaving legs - any tips? [Yrocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cut it back to a stubble with an electric trimmer first. Then shave with the most expensive lady’s razors (one per leg) you can find using Skintamates lady’s shaving gel.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Be sure to practice on your scrotum first.
Quote Reply
Re: Shaving legs - any tips? [BLACKSHEEP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLACKSHEEP wrote:
Be sure to practice on your scrotum first.

If applicable - I knew some female bike messengers who were non-shavers
🏳️‍🌈

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Clippers the day before. Don't bother with shaving. Huge waste of time you could be sleeping, eating, or training instead.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As mentioned, use a trimmer first, then blade shave.

If razor bumps are an issue, rub some isopropyl alcohol on when you get out of the shower. Yes it stings (a lot), but only for about 10 sec. and does the trick.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Shaving legs - any tips? [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wax instead?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nair with Aloe & lanolin… don’t let the pink bottle scare you. If you’re wooly use a trimmer first.
Quote Reply
Re: Shaving legs - any tips? [marquette42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marquette42 wrote:
Nair with Aloe & lanolin… don’t let the pink bottle scare you. If you’re wooly use a trimmer first.

With chemical depilatories like Nair, try it on a small section of your leg first....and not just before a race. They work great for some folks, but others either find that all the hair isn't removed or that their skin reacts badly to the chemicals. If neither of these are the case it can be a good option.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Shaving legs - any tips? [re-fresh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
re-fresh wrote:
I use a hair trimmer without a guard. Obviously not a super close shave, but no bumps or ingrown hairs to worry about.
I do it that way for the first cutting.

Then I follow-up with a safety razor after/during a shower or bath. And maintain with the safety razor over time.

http://www.jt10000.com/
Quote Reply