Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: September Swim Thread [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I don't understand (b). Picture no worky-worky.

LOL. Copy paste error

8.2 mi run (2 mi @ 9:05, 5k @ 8:57), 550 yd easy swim

sore back so taking everything easy today.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: September Swim Thread [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well I guess I will see you and Heidi at the race, glad you can still do it. And nice upgrade to get a bowl from Ohau, now you are not bubble boy anymore..

I got in today again at the high desert pool and felt as good as I have I quite sometime for a big set of 100's;

25x100- 4sets of 6- 1swim@1;40/1buoy@1;40/1IM kick@2;10/1 IM@1;45/2 pull@1;30 finishing with 100IM kick extra 15 seconds between sets

Set it up to get about 20 seconds per 100 +/-

(swims- 1;24/21/19/17) buoys(1;20/19/17/16) kicks(1;50/48/48/46) IM's(1;22/21/20/18) pulls(1;16/15/14/13/12/10/09/07)

2500SCY
Quote Reply
Re: September Swim Thread [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
8.3 mi easy run, 1200 yd easy easy swim

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Re: September Swim Thread [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So 3rd day in a row just swimming, did some light stuff with some all sprint stuff;

5x100s@1;40(1;26 to 1;19)
5x100IM kick@2;00(1;53 to 1;51)
2x(300p@4;10/100IM@1;50) (pulls 3;53/3;47)(IM's- 1;20/1;21)
6x100p@1;40 easy 1;19's for 5, then 100 IM for last 1;19
50 fly all out 30.2
50 free 95% 30.0
2500SCY
Quote Reply
Re: September Swim Thread [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m swimming in a warmer pool now that has fewer lanes. My swims haven’t been all that long, mostly just pace and speed work.

Yesterday:
1000 warm up
20 x 75 @ :20-:25 rest, holding :48-:50
900 as a mix of snorkel, strokes, varying intensity
3400 scy
Quote Reply
Re: September Swim Thread [140triguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
7 mi run
2 x 2 mi (6.7, 6.8 mph; 6.8, 6.9 mph) + 1 mi 7.0 mph

1025 yd easy swim, open turns (sore back)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
Quote:
I don't understand (b). Picture no worky-worky.

LOL. Copy paste error

Well, that's no fun...was that an exam or homework question or something?

I seem to be having a hard time posting in here regularly.

Tuesday:
---------------
WU: 200ez
3x50 (:20) for time

MS:
2x100 (:30) paddles (thinking about extend above water, and finish stroke)
100 free

2x100 (:30) fins (thinking about relaxed catch motion, and finish)
100 free

2x100 (:30) Fin+paddle opposite sides 100 L+R / 100 R+L
100 free

3x50 (:30) for time

6x100 (:30) feeling rhythm of pull + kick

CD: 200

3.8mile run.

Thursday:
-------------
WU: 200 ez

50 fins
50 paddles
100 L+R fins/paddles
100 R+L fin/paddle

MS: 14x100 (:30) focus on the feeling the rythm of pull+kick

CD: 200ez

8mile run with 2x2miles at 6:35/mile pace.

Saturday:

WU: 200 ez

50 fins
50 paddles
100 L+R fins/paddles
100 R+L fin/paddle

MS: 25x100 USRPT @1:40 failed at 15, 22, 26

11mile run.

Swim felt good today. I was alternating between 39.40.41. I was mostly trying to keep things in check. Left foot kick felt a little weak and less snappy than the right.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I took Saturday off to chill for Sunday’s 2.4 (2.6) Mile Tiki Swim. Big, BIG waves at the start and entering the harbor. I mean, big breaking waves in the harbor! The guards kept us away from them, but I tried to sneak over there to body surf one in. No luck. Didn’t matter, I placed 1st in 1:04. The GF, Heidi, also placed 1st in a 1:08. Fastest OA time was a :55.
Afterwards, we did a 25 mile bike ride to Encinitas (from Oceanside) and back. We’re now recovering at Pizza Port in Carlsbad – the best pizza and beer... ever!

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Last edited by: HalfSpeed: Sep 21, 18 12:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yes, an exam question
yesterday very easy 3.2 mi run and 9 mi bike
today easy 7 mi run (avg 6.3 mph) and 1k swim, still babying my back

swim was straight free / breast / kick. Could do turns :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Y'er killin' me! Now I want to know the topic and the question...
--------------

WU: 200ez
3x50 (:20) for time (:46, :45, :43)

MS:
2x100 (:30) paddles, 100 free

2x100 (:30) fins, 100 free

2x100 (:30) Fin+paddle opposite sides 100 L+R / 100 R+L , 100 free

3x50 (:30) for time (:44, :43, :41)

6x100 (:30) Descend (1:40, 1:39, 1:38, 1:37, 1:35, 1:33)

Whew...felt really solid today. The descend set, just sorta happened. I was still kinda tired from the 3x50 when I started...but, kept recovering a little better each repeat. After the first 3, I decided to keep pushing it a little harder each rep. With the final being all I was worth.

First race is in 12 days.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry, I have not been posting much on the Swim Thread. I had an amazing 4 days swim "camp" at the London Olympic pool (3 days of it was before biz, 1 day early morning before biz). I cranked out 6000m to 7400m daily swimming in Lane 4 and Lane 5 where Phelps won all those gold medals and on one of the days, I saw the final stage city circuit of the Tour of Britain line 28x in front of my hotel.

I did a lot of IM sets and also got "good" at 200m fly long course which was often my final "interval" at the end of 2+ hours in the pool!

I also noticed on the ST log that I am currently at 825 km of swimming for the year with 110 days remaining in the year. To hit 1200 km for the year (or 100K per month average), I need to swim 3.75K each time in 100 days and budget for 10 missed days of travel or pool closure (ex Xmas and Boxing day are 2 days of closure). So roughly speaking I have to do an Ironman distance swim for 100 days each time I go to the pool for the rest of the year assuming 10 days no swimming.

NOT THAT ANYONE AROUND ST WOULD EVER WORRY ABOUT MILEAGE

Seriously the hard part this year is kind of missing a month due to the bus running over me in June (I got back in the pool 10 days later doing kick sets for a month, but you don't make a lot of mileage that way), and just generally focusing on IM swimming.

If I can hit 1200km again this year, it would be a rather large achievement in persistence and consistency and it would be my third year in a row doing that. If/once, I can complete my 4th year of that, I will have gone through a virtual delayed Div 100 swim scholarship (vs a Div 1 LOL) in my 50's.
Quote Reply
Re: September Swim Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
If/once, I can complete my 4th year of that, I will have gone through a virtual delayed Div 100 swim scholarship (vs a Div 1 LOL) in my 50's.

LOL
my back is getting better but I'm still babying it a little

7.9 mi run (1 mi @ 9:31, 1.8 mi @ 9:22, 3.2 mi @ 9:22 pace)
725 yd swim straight mixed breaststroke and freestyle

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wed. 3.3 mi run, 1 mi run, 4.3 mi bike
Thurs. 8.3 mi run w/ 30 min steady (not fast. just steady)
Fri. 6.5 mi run w/ 2 mi faster than yesterday's steady, 400 yd swim

swim actually felt normal; my back is almost back to normal. Hoping the PT can get that last 10% this afternoon.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here’s a workout:
MW x3 (24:20xR=1:13:00) [3000]
-(200+50) @3:00/2:00 (5:00)
-(150+100) @2:40/3:00 (5:40)
-(100+150) @2:20/4:00 (6:20)
-(50+200) @2:20/5:00 (7:20)
*R1
- first swim is IM, build each 1/4 (50,37.5,25) but 50 is sprint.
*R2
- first swim is primary build each 1/4 (50,37.5,25) but 50 is sprint, second swim is IM, as fast as possible.
*R3
- same as R1, but with fins

Anyone decipher this?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yesterday I did a bunch of 50's in IM order for my main set....lost track of how many but I think it was going on for around 20 minutes or so. I picked two strokes out of each set of 4 to go fairly hard and took the other two at cruise effort and tried to work on my horrible form
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
7.5 mi run w/ 1.86, 2.06, 2.6 mi @ 8:57 pace
675 yds straight w some kicking to cool off after my run

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1200km in a year is awesome! Great job even contemplating it. I didn’t get myself into position to do that much this year. Also, September may be my lowest total month of the year. I moved at the end of August, and pool time was in short supply as I started my new job. Once I found the pool I am using most often, I thought I’d prep for a short course meters meet, to take advantage of my recent move from the elevation in Colorado. I started doing short, race pace practices, because of the meet and bc the pool is too warm to think of going too long. I since decided not to go to the meet, and I noticed that my mileage really suffered. So, I got used to the temp and started swimming longer practices. I’ll have to grind out lots of distance in the next week to try to get to 50 miles. I’ve averaged over 58 miles monthly all year, except for January, often bc of 7000-9000m days on Fridays.

Today: Long and boring, 4650 yards total.
3000 straight
1000 with paddles
500 straight
2 x 75 as 25 kick, 50 Swim
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1200 km of swimming is really not that much swimming. It is only 3.3 km per day.

BUT....the problem is if you miss one day, you need a 6.6 km day to make up.

For example yesterday the pool was closed. We had a tornado here in Ottawa Canada and the city was a mess with at one point half th city's power distribution network shut down. Hydro Ottawa has done a great job bringing the city back to like and today the pool was open, so swim just over 6 km. The problem is at this point, I HAVE to swim ~3.5 km EVERY DAY of the year to hit 1200 km so if I miss a day, then I need to catch up in the next few.

Like any yearly mileage goal that is a target that is mildly aggressive, you can't really miss that many days. I remember the one time I tried to run a 100 mile week. It does not "seem" that bad....on the surface you just have to run 7 miles twice per day. The problem is that if you miss a single 7 mile run (you have to hit all 14), then next day, you need three 7 mile runs or two runs with one run being 14 miles. The problem is that once you did that 21 mile day, the next day you still need to run 14 mile or you're behind again and you are playing catch up.

I remember that 100 mile week in a Boston marathon build and on day 4 I was really really tempted to miss one of my daily doubles, and went short on that run. Then on day 5 I had to go really long, leaving me trashed for day 6....I decided to back it off on day 6 and then went right over the top with an extra long run on day 7 to hit the 100 mile week. I got there, but said "never again".

With a year long personal challenge, it's one of those scenarios where you have to keep the pressure "on" for most of the year. If you get sick, or have to travel, or the pool you go to is shut, or you get run over by a bus like I did, then you're really playing catch up and the heat is on.

When I had a big buffer, I found that I was really doing a lot more kick and breast stroke....my two slowest forms of netting meters per second. Now that I am more behind, I am finding more freestyle creeping up. That's actually not a bad thing since I was really de emphasizing free, and now I can take stroke feel improvements from the other strokes and maybe apply them to a bit more freestyle.

Right now I am sitting on 845 km of swimming for the year. We have 105 days left in the year and I need to do 355km...so I guess I need to do 3.4 km per day not 3.5 km....or 100 days of 3.55 with 5 days off.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm at 490.5 miles/789.3 km on the year. I could get up to 1000km. I have some work to do. No more of these silly short USRPT workouts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
140triguy wrote:
I'm at 490.5 miles/789.3 km on the year. I could get up to 1000km. I have some work to do. No more of these silly short USRPT workouts.

...hang on, you only need to do 410K over the rest of the year....that's "just" 4.1K per day if you miss 5 days.....let's do it!!! You don't need to it all butterfly or breast stroke kick so easy peasy for ya!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm going to try to bump it up this week. I've been trying to stay above the 50 mile threshold/month, since "just" 50 miles/month would get me to 600 miles on the year. Anything over that gets me closer to 620 miles or 1000k (1,000,000 meters!). September has been the aberration, with that little foray into USRPT training. I'm at 32 miles with a few days to go, so, while I may not get to 50, my average has been way above 50, so I can still be on-track for 1000k.

I'd have to go about 81 miles in each of October-December to get to 1200km.
Last edited by: 140triguy: Sep 24, 18 8:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
5 km walk, 975 yd swim (950 free + 25 kick)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2 mile swim race in a lake yesterday. 80 degree water. Wetsuits not allowed - there were three who tried, but were told to remove them or they could not start. None of them started. They also wouldn't allow watches to be worn, and I find that weird, but they cited it's illegal to wear a timing or pacing device. I don't think it was quite two miles. I finished in 48 minutes, so I'm guessing 1.9 miles. Anyway, I placed first in my division. And, that wraps up my Masters Open Water Season. I'm pretty sure I'm the high-points winner of the series and will get a giant lime green beach towel as my reward.

My GF, Heidi, raced at the Camp Pendleton Semper-Tri sprint race. She won her division and placed second OA women, behind Michellie Jones. However, she beat Michellie on the swim and was 4th OA male & female on the swim.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Even though it goes without saying it, I'll say it anyway. Those swimmers who didn't chuck their wetsuits and start the race in 80 degree water obviously needed their crutch. TBH, 80' is too warm to even swim in just skin. They didn't need the suits for warmth. Big hand to the RD for standing pat on the requirement and mandating safety, which, in this case, is avoiding overheating.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
congrats to you and the GF on successful races!

Quote Reply

Prev Next