Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Semi (constructive) rant: You guys are not maintaining your bikes.
Quote | Reply
Guys, and I apologize in advance if this comes off as abrasive- it isn't meant to be. It's meant to be constructive. Anyway.

We're seeing a lot of bikes coming in at the last minute with major, major problems. Broken cranks, broken shifters, bad cable sets, wheel problems, bad bottom brackets.

With current component shortages, especially 9 speed shifters, this can really create a hassle and unnecessary expense for you.

The way to avoid this is good 'ol P.M.C.S. Preventive Maintenance Checks and Services. This means LOOKING at your bike's parts every single solitary time you ride. EVERY TIME. This will prevent failures the day before an event, or, more correctly, allow you to detect them before the last minute. This saves money and reduces anxiety (for both of us).

Guys- Wisconsin is coming. Florida is coming. Hawaii is coming. We're at the height of the season. Please take time before each ride and check your bike out. Bring it in to a bike shop that knows what is required of a bike in a triathlon and knows what to look for. Let them check it out. Often.

You'll save yourself a lot of headaches.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Semi (constructive) rant: You guys are not maintaining your bikes. [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good post! My car mechanic says the same thing to me. Of course, I say the same things to my clients when I tell them they have to do maintenance on their computers if they want them running in tip top shape. How many people do that? Tom? :)

I took a 2 day "rip your bike apart and put it back together again" course from my LBS and it was INVALUABLE!!! Loved it. Before that, I could barely oil my own chain. ;)
M~
Quote Reply
Re: Semi (constructive) rant: You guys are not maintaining your bikes. [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bless you for this post Tom. Don't know how many times I've stood next to someone in transition with something not working on their bikes (simple stuff too) and wondered...damn..you spent how much on that bike and it looks like THAT??? I feel anal about keeping my drivetrain as clean as I keep it sometimes...but I'd feel worse about it having a season or two worth of grunge on it. Even had to loan out my backup race bike to someone who suddenly broke a der cable on their bike with about 20mins to race time (it was seriously rusted and about three years past its prime). Makes me mad and sad all at the same time to see such things..but then I really love my bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Semi (constructive) rant: You guys are not maintaining your bikes. [Kentiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm pretty anal about it too. My LBS actually compliments me on how clean I keep the drivetrain. (I think most people only come in when the rear derailleur is attached to the wheel.) The last two times I went in for a tuneup(once before a century, then before IMLP) they spent five minutes looking at my bike then told me it didn't need a tune up. I think they're just using reverse psychology to get me to make them take my money by refusing to work on my bike. Instead I have to use to service money to buy parts I don't need out of guilt. It's very frustrating.

I think the Rohloff chain tool is possibly the best $25 I've ever spent on my bike.

------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Semi (constructive) rant: You guys are not maintaining your bikes. [Kentiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also,we really put heart and soul into these bikes. WE take really good care of them and fuss and fiddle over them until all hours of the night.

A couple times I've damn near cried, heck, one time I did cry, when customers just take these bikes from us and wreck them. They abuse them. It is funny- all that money and time and effort and care, and they ride it in the rain, put it on the outside of their (empty) truck on a rack and just neglect it. They don't even take care of it.

If you had a brand, new Ferrari, BMW, Mercedes or whatever you're into would you beat the tar out of it?

Man, it's sad. Please guys, people put heart and soul into these bikes. They were expensive. Baby them.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd love to maintain my bike better, but how about giving some advice - I put on new cables and housings and rebuilt my brakes. However, only a couple hundred miles later the rear brake is so corroded from sweat and humidity that I can't use the rear brake. The brakes are stock cervelo brakes from a P2k, the cables and housing are standard dura ace.

Is there a particular grease I should be using? Should I just upgrade the brakes - if so upgrade to what Ultegra, Campy? Am I a candidate for those hard to use, expensive cable sets?

My LBS has no advice except take the brakes apart every week and clean them.
Quote Reply
Re: Semi (constructive) rant: You guys are not maintaining your bikes. [tom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I put on the Profile QS2 brake levers with the return spring and that seems to have helped my stock Cervelo brakes with their performance. They are cheap so probably worth a shot. I don't see how ultegra or dura-ace brakes would be any less susceptible to sweat mucking them up...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're right. Just did my pre race bike check up and noticed that three of my chain ring bolts were quite loose. Would have been embarrasing if my chain ring fell off during the race this weekend.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good advice, Tom. It is a shame to see expensive bikes taken care of so poorly. I see it at every race. Taking just a few minutes after each ride and will save you a big expense down the road.

After every ride you should remove all sweat, salt, dirt, and dried beverage from the frame paint, brakes (especially rear), seatpost, aerbars, and anywhere else you may have dripped sweat. And clean the rear axle. This is a spot that gets hits with sweat a lot and I see caked with rust on bikes. Most axles are steel. This is the bare minimum after every ride. Remember, sweat contains salt which is corrosive and corrossion can start in a few hours in humid climates on aluminum frames and steel parts. I use Cinch for this step.

Lube/check all cables once a month. Check all bolts and fittings. Clean/lube chain as necessary. A clean chain will make your cassettes and chain rings last longer. Clean the cassette.

I'm kind of anal about the cleanliness of my bike. But then again, my bikes are 2001 models and look newer than some 2004 models. I would be glad to have my mother eat off my downtube anytime.

A CLEAN BIKE IS A FAST BIKE !!! Learn it, live it. Your bike will thank you. And so will Tom and your wallet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom, you have transition and changing a tire clinics listed on your website. Do you ever do basic maintenance clinics?
Quote Reply
Re: Semi (constructive) rant: You guys are not maintaining your bikes. [gottabekidding] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As someone who is soon to take delivery of his first road bike in 20 years can we get a list going of your favorite bike maintenance tips? I know absolutely nothing about bikes...except that they cost a lot..and like all my other gear, I want it to perform, last a long time and look good.

What is your top bike maintenance tip?

----------------------------------------------------------
"A society is defined not only by what it creates, but by what it refuses to destroy."
John Sawhill
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This behavior is just an typical expression of their personality, they live their lives expectiny others to take care of their stuff because they are paying for it. I personally do not let anyone else touch my bike unless I have a problem that I can not figure out, or do not have the tools to fix. If I could wipe down my bike while I was riding I would. Maybe I feel this way because I built my bike and my wife's bike, and I do not know how many hours it took to make everything perfect. I can not imagine anyone would care as much about my bike as I do, no matter how much I paid.

Maybe if some of the last minute people were turned away they would change their approach, but I highly doubt it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Funny, I've gone the other way. I managed a bike shop for several years and wrenched for years before that. When I was in the shop my bike was meticulous, and we ensured that all bikes that left our shop were as well.. Now I have an office job and my bike is filthy. It gets what it needs in terms of parts, and it always rides fairly well, BUT there's gatorade on the down tube, worn bar tape, and poorly trued wheels (not too bad...but not perfect). I realized once i was out of the shop that a spotless bike doesn't go any faster or improve the enjoyment of the ride. As long as it works well, I'm happy. I just don't have the time to wipe it down after every ride. I bunny hop curbs. I ride it in the rain and don't dry it off. And you know what, it doesn't seem to matter. It's a bike and it'll be replaced at some point. Frankly, I think I enjoy riding more now that I don't fret over the 'little things'. But everyone's mileage will vary.

Now, if I could only get out of the office to ride as much as I used to....

Quote | Reply
Yes, yes, please share your favorite bike maintenance tips please. This is one of the things I find the most frustrating about triathlon. As a swimmer/runner coming into the sport I feel like there is this secret cycling club that I cannot join where you learn such skills. There are also rules that no one else knows, like don't go on group rides with aerobars. I think you have to be born into it.

I am always afraid of doing bike maintenance because I know there are things I shouldn't do, as they will mess up my bike forever. Like, I shouldn't take it to the car wash to clean. So I end up cleaning it every other week, and then just hoping my twice a year LBS bike tune up is good for the rest...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The way to avoid this is good 'ol P.M.C.S. Preventive Maintenance Checks and Services.

I would, but I can't find a -10 for my P2K. And as much time as I spent yelling at my soldiers for doing PMCS from memory, I wouldn't want to set a bad example by not using the correct manual. :)

Chris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the timely reminder. I do check my bike before each ride and do regular maintanence on it..but great idea..get it tuned up and ready to go for Wisconsin..

Rant away ...we listen!!

------------------------------------------------

Trying to find ways to pass the time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TOM

I always wash my bike before each race, inspect everything, do not use a bike carrier (I put my bike in the back of the explorer), hell I even pump up my tires to race pressure the night before to be sure I don't have a leak. I learned all this from www.michiganbikesport.com

THANK YOU for you helpful PSA! I know my bike is in good hands.

PS. I need you to overhaul it this winter... it is a b-2 Felt (2years old).

-Matt West
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cars come with a maintenance schedule. So what is it for bikes?

Every ride I should do ______

Every week I should do ______

Every month I should do ________

Every off season I should do _______

Every ______ I should do ________

Will somebody please fill in the blanks for me?

I figure I need to take care of what I've got, since Tom also tells people not to buy used, so there is not much chance I'll be buying new soon if there isn't a market for my old aluminum.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm guilty.

My only defense is that my bike is likely better off if I don't touch it at all, other than to ride it. A couple of weeks ago I attempted to clean my wife's bike, and by the time I was done with it, it needed a trip to the local mechanic and a new chain. No kidding.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: Semi (constructive) rant: You guys are not maintaining your bikes. [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

In Reply To:
A couple of weeks ago I attempted to clean my wife's bike, and by the time I was done with it, it needed a trip to the local mechanic and a new chain. No kidding.

Sounds like what happens whenever I try to fix the plumbing.
Quote Reply
Re: Semi (constructive) rant: You guys are not maintaining your bikes. [davejakes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here is what I do. I am not a professional mechanic, or a bike shop owner, but I've never had any major problems with my bikes.

before every ride : inflate tires (every 2 days) check brakes, quick visual check of tires and brake pads, headset. During ride, mental note if shifting is out.

Every week: thorough wash, degrease and relube drivetrain and all pivot points, lube chain. Check all bolts for tightness, inspect frame for cracks, check wheels for trueness.

Every month, same as weekly, but also recheck saddle height and tilt.

Every 6 months, completely strip frame, including BB, thoroughly clean and reassemble. Replace all inner cables and check outers. Reglue tubulars if they have been on for more than 6 months.

After each ride in the rain, hose down the bike afterwards and relube chain and pivot points.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Semi (constructive) rant: You guys are not maintaining your bikes. [davejakes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom has that exact schedule on his site. Here is the link.

http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/bikes/maintsched.shtml
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Tom, I love my bike, with deep, deep passion. If any SOB tried to harm my bike, I would protect it as I would my family, with my life's blood if necessary.
As soon as I get 1000ks on my DUAL, that baby is going back to the shop for some TLC.

Did I mention that I really like my bike?

kiwipat

per ardua ad astra
Quote Reply
Re: Semi (constructive) rant: You guys are not maintaining your bikes. [kiwipat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Park Tools has a really helpful website with a lot of info and pictures for how to work on your bike. I took their course at my LBS and agree that a quick course is the best investment I have made in my cycling. It was more than worth the money in not having to go to my LBS for stuff I can easily do myself. Plus, there iis just something about a clean drive train. After it's been dirty for awhile, it's like having a brand new bike.

Here's the checklist from the helpful guys at Park Tools (who have a pretty useful website by the way), I jst listed their "every ride" and "monthly" checks:

Every ride:
- Check your chain lubrication
- Check your frame for obvious cracks or damage
- Take a quick look at your stem and bars
- Check your tires and tire pressure
- Check your wheel trueness after your ride

Monthly
-Check your bottom bracket for play in the bearings by dropping the chain off your chain ring and spinning the crank. Check for smoothness
- Check your brake cables for fraying
- Inspect brake pads for wear
- Lube your brake pivots
- Check your chain length
- Check crankarm bolts for tightness
- Check chainring teath for wear
- Check derailleur screws and index settings as required
- Inspect your frame closely for cracks or bends
- Check handlebars for bending
- Check tightness of saddle binder bolts
- Lube spoke nipples to prevent corrosion

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Semi (constructive) rant: You guys are not maintaining your bikes. [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know an ex pro triathlete who kept all his bikes outside. Instead of dog crap he had Hed wheels and bikes everywhere in his back yard. Looked like an obstacle course.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply

Prev Next