Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Seeking an Ironman specific Registered Dietician
Quote | Reply
Can anyone recommend a RD or someone with similar qualifications who has worked with Ironman athletes? Looking to hire someone with proven success in helping athletes with sensitive stomachs figure out the bike nutrition.

After 4 Ironmans I am still struggling to get it right even while working with a top coach. My last Ironman was in Whistler almost a couple weeks ago. While I managed to make the podium (3rd in my AG F45-49) it was an ugly race after 3-4 hours on the bike. I never want to have that type of stomach cramping ever again. And puking my guts out after getting my finishers medal was not awesome. I know GI distress is not uncommon in a full Ironman but I really need some help. I can do halves with little to no stomach issues. It's the longer bike. And the GI distress doesn't show up on training rides where I practice my nutrition every weekend.

Please post helpful replies only. I know this is a rough forum sometimes ;-)

Or a PM would be great too!!

Death is easy....peaceful. Life is harder.
Quote Reply
Re: Seeking an Ironman specific Registered Dietician [70Trigirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I really like Dr Penny Wilson for this sort of stuff. She's a PhD nutritionist and used to work for Memorial Hermann in the Ironman associated program (or whatever it was called, this was ~5 years ago). She and her husband are both endurance athletes and she just GETS it. She now lives in Vail, CO but does Skype / remote work.

https://drpennywilson.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Seeking an Ironman specific Registered Dietician [70Trigirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Core Diet

70Trigirl wrote:
Can anyone recommend a RD or someone with similar qualifications who has worked with Ironman athletes? Looking to hire someone with proven success in helping athletes with sensitive stomachs figure out the bike nutrition.

After 4 Ironmans I am still struggling to get it right even while working with a top coach. My last Ironman was in Whistler almost a couple weeks ago. While I managed to make the podium (3rd in my AG F45-49) it was an ugly race after 3-4 hours on the bike. I never want to have that type of stomach cramping ever again. And puking my guts out after getting my finishers medal was not awesome. I know GI distress is not uncommon in a full Ironman but I really need some help. I can do halves with little to no stomach issues. It's the longer bike. And the GI distress doesn't show up on training rides where I practice my nutrition every weekend.

Please post helpful replies only. I know this is a rough forum sometimes ;-)

Or a PM would be great too!!

Inside The Big Ring: Podcast & Coaching

Quote Reply
Re: Seeking an Ironman specific Registered Dietician [Brandes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brandes wrote:
The Core Diet

Yup, I'm familiar with QT2's Core Diet. I'm looking specifically to work one-on-one with a RD. If they are versed in the Core Diet that's fine.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
70Trigirl wrote:
Brandes wrote:
The Core Diet

Yup, I'm familiar with QT2's Core Diet. I'm looking specifically to work one-on-one with a RD. If they are versed in the Core Diet that's fine.

I would strong recommend Marni Sumbal - http://www.trimarnicoach.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Seeking an Ironman specific Registered Dietician [dprocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll also throw in a vote for The Core Diet!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://www.enrgperformance.com/bob-seebohar

Former RD to the US Olympic Committee and USA TRiathlon certified as well.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: Seeking an Ironman specific Registered Dietician [SwizBeats] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SwizBeats wrote:

What does the Core Diet have you eating/drinking on an Ironman bike?? I realize an all around good diet will help too but for me it's what I'm doing on the bike

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
70Trigirl wrote:
SwizBeats wrote:

What does the Core Diet have you eating/drinking on an Ironman bike?? I realize an all around good diet will help too but for me it's what I'm doing on the bike

All depends on you! They have you go through a sweat test protocol and then work with you to determine what your body needs! Me for example, I consume bars, gels, and electrolyte hydration. BUT it is way more than just the bike, it is the days leading up to the race, the morning of the race. Very specific to each individual as is everything!
Quote Reply
Re: Seeking an Ironman specific Registered Dietician [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd like to second this note on Bob Seebohar: smart, experience, educated.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.trimarnicoach.com/

Marni is awesome and consults with lots of top AG and pro triathletes specializing in long course triathlon. She even wrote a book on it.

Essential Sports Nutrition: A Guide to Optimal Performance for Every Active Person https://www.amazon.com/..._api_i_QQBtDbJVB78HQ
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Brian Shea

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone, I appreciate the responses and recommendations. I have a list going :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+1 on Marni Sumbal. Worth a conversation for sure. Good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
70Trigirl wrote:
SwizBeats wrote:

Another vote for the core diet. The core diet is not just a daily diet. They a have race fueling plans that give you exactly what to eat the data leading up to the race, the morning of, and during the race. Their plan got me started in the right direction and I have since tweaked a few things but they really gave me an awesome baseline when I had no idea what I was doing.

For reference, I eat and drink all liquid nutrition during an IM. No solid foods. All of which was derived from the core diet race plan they gave me.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Seeking an Ironman specific Registered Dietician [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
Brian Shea

Does he still do nutrition consults?? I reached out to him like a year ago and never heard back. Also had a friend do the same thing but never heard anything either.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a MOP AGer, not standing on any podiums unless I'm doing some public speaking. But I literally just completed a search for a dietician to help me with similar issues. I want a solid nutrition and race fueling plan to try to avoid GI issues in my upcoming IMAZ. These are the two I looked at:

I've also heard good things about Marcey Robinson at Achieve Health and Performance, but I didn't talk with her as Katie is in her same office: http://achievehp.com/about

I would have gone with Susan except Katie is in my neighborhood and I like supporting local. Katie and I are just starting out, so I can't give you real feedback on her yet.

Good luck!
Quote Reply