Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Seefeld blood-doping scandal reaches Triathlon: Transfusions on Hawaii
Quote | Reply
See my reply in original thread:
flogazo wrote:
This just got interesting:
In a press conference today in Munich, state prosecutors gave an update on the investigation into the blood-bags found after the raid during the nordic ski championship in Seefeld.:
  • 5 different sports (3 of them winter) affected
  • Number of blood transfusions go into triple digits
  • Transfusions have been carried out in multiple European nations as well as South-Korea (Olympic Games 2018) and on Hawaii

Link (german)

OK, who wants to guess the blood-doping dirtbag?
Will it be somebody who we already don't like or a sad surprise?

if you can read this
YOU'RE DRAFTING!
Quote Reply
Re: Seefeld blood-doping scandal reaches Triathlon: Transfusions on Hawaii [flogazo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Curious to see how soon people will go after Michi Weiss again, or possibly Beth McKenzie
Quote Reply
Re: Seefeld blood-doping scandal reaches Triathlon: Transfusions on Hawaii [flogazo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Clearly winter sports in Hawaii are in bad shape.

If I was a nordic skier based in Hawaii, sure I will sip some blood bags, waiting for the snow to come in...
Quote Reply
Re: Seefeld blood-doping scandal reaches Triathlon: Transfusions on Hawaii [Pyrenean Wolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: Seefeld blood-doping scandal reaches Triathlon: Transfusions on Hawaii [schroeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK :-)

will sip blood bags only 11 month out of 12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe the same doc Lance used.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
flogazo wrote:
OK, who wants to guess the blood-doping dirtbag?

You really think that there was only one ?

How about dirtbagS, plural ?

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do they ever say it was triathlon specifically? Or are we just assuming that it's triathlon because it happened in Hawaii?

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Seefeld blood-doping scandal reaches Triathlon: Transfusions on Hawaii [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Assumption since it is the main event
Quote Reply
Re: Seefeld blood-doping scandal reaches Triathlon: Transfusions on Hawaii [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i'm going to be a cynic and say that doping hasn't 'just reached' triathlon. it's been there a good while.

anyway, i would actually be happy with some positives, in a way. i (again, cynically) believe that doping is widespread in tri as in many other sports, so hopefully shining a light and busting people will send a message.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: Seefeld blood-doping scandal reaches Triathlon: Transfusions on Hawaii [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Am I misunderstanding though that I thought the blood doping thing was a recovery tactic during the grand tours? Usually they'd throw in a bag somewhere in the mountains to "freshen up"

How would that be relevant in tri?

Or is it just the traditional "more is better until you get caught".
Quote Reply
Re: Seefeld blood-doping scandal reaches Triathlon: Transfusions on Hawaii [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nope, it allows you to increase concentration of red blood cells by pumping additional blood in the system. It's closer to a low tech version of EPO :)

burnthesheep wrote:
Am I misunderstanding though that I thought the blood doping thing was a recovery tactic during the grand tours? Usually they'd throw in a bag somewhere in the mountains to "freshen up"
How would that be relevant in tri?

Or is it just the traditional "more is better until you get caught".

What's your CdA?
Quote Reply
Re: Seefeld blood-doping scandal reaches Triathlon: Transfusions on Hawaii [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what he said. basically you remove, say, a pint of your own blood. then you spin the red blood cells out and put them in the fridge. train/eat/rest as normal for a while to rebuild you blood you lost, and then open the fridge and re-inject the old red blood cells.

it's a poor man's EPO and one of the older (but more effective!) doping techniques. basically just quickly and durably jacking up your RBC (and therefore O2 carrying capacity) the easy way.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: Seefeld blood-doping scandal reaches Triathlon: Transfusions on Hawaii [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Triathlon is and has been dirty just like anything else. Anyone who would claim otherwise is deluding themselves.

Regarding bloody bags in the middle of Grand Tours, there is a good amount of literature as to what happens to blood volume, RBC, etc during a GC. In that sense a blood bag helps recovery. Regardless in these sports, more RBC = more good. :) There is a boost the moment you stick it in you and its not related to recovery at all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Am I misunderstanding though that I thought the blood doping thing was a recovery tactic during the grand tours? Usually they'd throw in a bag somewhere in the mountains to "freshen up" //

What do you think triathlon training and racing is? It is one season long grand tour, for the pros doing ironman, training 4 to 8 hours a day. Of course recovery is the biggest element of succeeding at that. so EPO(blood doping manually) is the best thing a doper could do for themselves. Just ask Nina Craft how well it works...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
iron_mike wrote:
what he said. basically you remove, say, a pint of your own blood. then you spin the red blood cells out and put them in the fridge. train/eat/rest as normal for a while to rebuild you blood you lost, and then open the fridge and re-inject the old red blood cells.

it's a poor man's EPO and one of the older (but more effective!) doping techniques. basically just quickly and durably jacking up your RBC (and therefore O2 carrying capacity) the easy way.

If people haven't listened to the Nordic Nation podcast with the interview of Karel Tammjärv, you REALLY need to. There's not just the infusion of stored blood, but the removal of it after an event, key training session, or training block. That removal is what renders the biological passport concept so useless in this method. The whole interview was totally disheartening in so many ways.

https://fasterskier.com/...nias-karel-tammjarv/
Quote Reply
Re: Seefeld blood-doping scandal reaches Triathlon: Transfusions on Hawaii [T-wrecks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
T-wrecks wrote:
iron_mike wrote:

If people haven't listened to the Nordic Nation podcast with the interview of Karel Tammjärv, you REALLY need to. There's not just the infusion of stored blood, but the removal of it after an event, key training session, or training block. That removal is what renders the biological passport concept so useless in this method. The whole interview was totally disheartening in so many ways.

https://fasterskier.com/...nias-karel-tammjarv/

This.

That was a disheartening but great interview.
Quote Reply
Re: Seefeld blood-doping scandal reaches Triathlon: Transfusions on Hawaii [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
Do they ever say it was triathlon specifically? Or are we just assuming that it's triathlon because it happened in Hawaii?

Might be paddle board :-)
Marathon ?
XTerra ? (ok, triathlon also)
Quote Reply
Re: Seefeld blood-doping scandal reaches Triathlon: Transfusions on Hawaii [Pyrenean Wolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I dunno... are there never any elite swimming competitions in the whole state? Track? Is it possible it could be college? Maybe if there is a drug positive in hawaii it is highly likely to be triathlon, even with no other info. I don't know.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
I dunno... are there never any elite swimming competitions in the whole state? Track? Is it possible it could be college? Maybe if there is a drug positive in hawaii it is highly likely to be triathlon, even with no other info. I don't know.

And they receive treatment from a german doctor?

Kona in October and a European doctor. That is like 1 + 1 = 2.

10k - 30:48 / half - 1:06:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:

There is the Honolulu Marathon each December....With an invited elite field.
Quote Reply
Re: Seefeld blood-doping scandal reaches Triathlon: Transfusions on Hawaii [ToBeasy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ToBeasy wrote:

And they receive treatment from a german doctor?

Kona in October and a European doctor. That is like 1 + 1 = 2.

Where does it say Kona in October? All I read is Hawaii, and no time for that is given whatsoever.
Quote Reply
Re: Seefeld blood-doping scandal reaches Triathlon: Transfusions on Hawaii [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:
There is a boost the moment you stick it in you and its not related to recovery at all.

I've proven the concept in reverse. I had the bright idea of donating blood right before a TTT. I remember the start. Then I remember waking up in some grass at the side of the road next to my bike. To my credit, I was apparently able to pull off and dismount before passing out. I'm super glad I didn't take out my teammates - they were already mad at me for lasting about 2K out of 40K.

To me that gives some indication of the incredible power of RBC volume.
Quote Reply
Re: Seefeld blood-doping scandal reaches Triathlon: Transfusions on Hawaii [ToBeasy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IIRC, you need a couple weeks to recover your blood volume from a withdrawal.

I can't imagine someone flying to Hawaii with a chilled cooler of blood bag(s) unless you have a private jet. That shit would look mighty suspicious to the TSA.

So that means anyone blood doping for IM Hawaii would have to arrive to the island early enough (at least 2-3 weeks?), and have some experienced to withdraw and store it at the proper temperature. The day before the race it would be infused.

You want to catch someone doing it? Checking arrival times on the island before the race is the first clue..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ToBeasy wrote:
RowToTri wrote:

And they receive treatment from a german doctor? Kona in October and a European doctor. That is like 1 + 1 = 2.

can i relate a story, and i hope i get this right, because it's from, i dont know 12 or 15 years ago maybe? a certain person connected with the ITU - back when the ITU was at war with WTC - passed around a fax that came into the ITU's offices from a WADA lab, about an adverse finding from hawaii during IM week. that fax was to be expected because WADA labs - per the code - fax an AAF to WADA to the testing authority and to the sport's IF.

as i recall, this was framed at the time as, "see, our version of tri is clean, the iron version is dirty."

come to find out it was an ITU athlete observing kona, caught in an OOC test.

if i misremember this i'm quite open to hearing how i misremember it and i'm happy to make amends. and, this was ancient history. lots of water under the bridge. the ITU and ironman are very happy family campers now.

i only bring this up as a cautionary tale. i would not jump to conclusions. yes, it's very possible blood doping occurred in kona. it's also possible it occurred on maui. or, not in triathlon at all. i wouldn't get over my skis here if i were you.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply

Prev Next