Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Seattle in August
Quote | Reply
Hey all,

will likely be in Seattle from Aug. 9 to 20th or so. Any fun races at this time of year? Is it raining a lot then? Things to do?
Quote Reply
Re: Seattle in August [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Generally the weather is pretty good that time of the year - I think the Bakers Breakfast Oly distance is set for the first week of August in Bellingham - an hour or so north of Seattle

http://www.endurancesports.ca
Coaching and Training Camps

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Beaver Lake is the 20th. Nice race. http://www.beaverlake.org/2003blt/blt.htm

They also have the Fort Lewis series. Never done it but understand it has good schwag.

http://www.fortlewismwr.com/triplethreat.html

John
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
August in the pacific northwest is about as good as life gets. Go hike up some mountains and pick wild huckleberries, go ski a glacier, windsurf the gorge. I have always felt summertime in the PW is life at its finest. I am spending a week in in August in Hood River myself. Maybe you get some rain once a week...just enough to keep things green. Enjoy!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Francois,
Theres several things going on besides what's listed on the Washington Tri Calendar:

40K TT down at Hood River, Oregon Saturday August 20th-3hr drive south of Seattle.
20K TT Green Valley, Auburn, WA. August 21-40 min drive south of Seattle.
PM me if you want the details or are looking at some sight seeing suggestions.
Jay
jay.b.rideout@boeing.com

Jay
Quote Reply
Re: Seattle in August [ridesign] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
isn't there a half somewhere nearby at this time of the year?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
well, may come a few days earlier. anyone ever did the spokane half? fun race? what's the course like?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Baers Healthy Start is 90 miles north August 8. Run by Premier Events, followed by ITU Pro race and National u-23 championships http://www.trithecookie.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dude!!

Forget about triathlons and take a well needed break.

Jack Johnson is playing at the Gorge Ampitheater August 13th (Saw him in Hawaii, great concert)

and!!!!!

Dave Mathews is playing the Gorge August 19th, 20th, 21st (I'm going Saturday the 20th) -- Doing the Beaver Lake Triathlon that morning and then the concert after.

I just moved to Seattle two months ago -- this place is beer heaven!!! Not helping my racing at all but i sure am havinig a good time.
Quote Reply
Re: Seattle in August [Sparticus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
By the way --

http://www.beaverlake.org

if ya want more info on the Beaver Lake Tri.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The race in Spokane is pretty good, but it's a long way from Seattle and I prefer you do not come. It's my year to win. Stay away!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Francois,
This is the Washington State Tri Calendar,

http://www.trifind.net/nf/wa.html

Let me know what your schedule is, my only events are on the 20th and 21st.

South Sound Triathletes have a Saturday morning ride and a Sunday morning run also.
Jay

Jay
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Apple Capital Triathlon in Wenatchee Wa is a great low key event on August 21st. Every age group winner gets an Apple pie and for an added bonus the post race meal is a Mexican bar-be-cue, very good.

Wenatchee is in Eastern Washington which a bit of a drive (2.5 hours) but the temp should be 10-15 degrees higher and much drier than the mid 70’s to low 80's we get here is Seattle.

Here is the link:

http://www.triwenatchee.net/tri/index_tri.htm

Hope you enjoy your stay here.

gb
Quote Reply
Re: Seattle in August [Train in Vain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Couldn't think of a nicer area to visit, too!!!

Jay
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 Troika, the HIM in spokane, is 300 miles east of seattle. there are sprint distances in sammamish and issaquah which are about 20 minutes from seattle. the bellingham race aug 7 is a good one about 2 hours north of seattle. It's also an ITU race so you can watch some real triathletes. It's actually doesn't rain much from june to september.

http://www.trithecookie.com/ the bellingham race

www.racecenter.com has a list of races.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done it twice, doing it again this year, (www.racecenter.com/troika). I love that race, it's very home-town-ish feeling, nice lake swim, point to point bike leg (more or less, small out and back at start), T2 in downtown riverside park, run is on well paved shared paths alongside the river. Can get hot (it was mid-90's on the run in 2001). Well supported, nice hoodie, price is $125 before May 31st, great deal.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Troika 1/2 and Baker's are on the same day this year (7th). Beaver Lake is on the 20th and Heart of the Sound is the 27th.

Troika's about 5 hours drive from Seattle and Baker's is about 90 minutes. Beaver Lake's 30 minutes from Seattle, and is a really short sprint (1/4 mile swim). Heart of the Sound is hilly and on Vashon Island (30 minutes from Seattle with a ferry ride) and the swim is in a boat harbor (COLD salt water).

August is about the dryest month of the year here. There's about 14 hours of daylight, which can be kind of strange if you're not used to it (makes up for the 8 hours of daylight during the winter).

Richard
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seriously man, I don't think there is any better place in the country than Seattle in August. Rain? No way. Perfect temps, lots of sunshine, tons of people out on their bikes, on the run, playing in the water, you name it. I know people who get very depressed during the winter in seattle. When August rolls around, they say, "This is why it's all worth it; this is why I stay."

I did the Troika in spokane last year. Very fun race, nice course. Everything was good except the RD was a dick to me. It was 90+ degrees when I finished last summer; spokane gets much hotter than Seattle. The drive over would allow you to see some of the many different climates in washington state; it's always a surprise to people not from the area when they find that there are deserts in the state.

The events at beaver lake and Issaquah (my home town) will be nice, although it will be a bit odd if a pro shows up! And there are plenty of places around for open water swimming, Lake Sammamish (Issaquah tri) being one of the best.

While you are there you should try to OD on hills. There are plenty of great mountains to ride up and over, and even more to drive up and enjoy. I try to OD every time I get back there. Drive up Mt. Rainier to Sunrise, and take the ferry to the penninsula and drive to Hurricane Ridge. You won't want to leave.

In case you haven't figured it out, I love that place! Hey, I just saw your name on the IMFL list for this November. Are you coming to beat up on us on the flats? Are you still going to Brazil?

-Colin

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep, August is awesome. The beaver lake sprint race is basically in my backyard. Its a fun race and pretty competitive. Its a big deal for my city and they usually have a good writeup in the local papers. They have a self-seeding first wave which is nice. The bike portion is fun and challenging with a big climb. Last year I got past in the last mile and took second. It was totally fun. Black Diamond Half Ironman is September 24th. Its another fun race. Matt Seeley showed up a couple of years ago and smoked us all.

- Steve
http://bailey.sts.winisp.net
Quote Reply
Re: Seattle in August [SeattleSteve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks for the tips all! OK. will get there the 5th, race spokane half and will stay there until the 20th or so. I will work at the Institute for Systems Biology located on the North shores of Lake Union.

Can anyone point out a place to rent there? How is it? Are there places where I could go workout right out the door and maybe commute a bit to ISB from wherever I stay?

group rides? master swims?

Is there a Starbuck? ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Francois, I've done Troika a few times and will be there again this year. Let me know if you have any logistical questions about Spokane (I'm a native) or the race. See you there!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You will be working about 1/4 mile from where I work. You will be nicely situated right on the Burke Gilman trail that is the lifeline to get in/out of this area on your bike or long run. You will also be about one block from a nice tri store if you need to pick up any goodies ( www.speedyreedy.com ). You will be 1/4 mile from Starbucks, Peets, Torrefazione, PCC natural market and right across the street from the Essential Bakery.

I don't do group rides or masters swims but I'd be happy to show you the way out to some good rides. I'll be just winding down towards IMC at that point. I might be able to hook you up with a guest pass for my gym as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Seattle in August [thirsty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, looks like I'm all set! thanks all, hope to meet as many as possible there.
Now, just need to find a condo for a couple of weeks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What part of "stay way!" did you not understand? I got beaten by a short guy last year, not interested in a repeat. Realistically, you may go sub 4 hours. Elevation loss on the bike, flat run. I hope you blow up, no offense (smiley).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't know how much you want to spend but VRBO has a few places - http://www.vrbo.com/.../usa/washington#4719

Areas you would want to stay would be Greenlake, Wallingford, Fremont, Queen Anne, U-District. Those are the closest. Maybe Ballard. If you wanted a downtown stay Belltown would we alright. Any of those neigborhoods and you won't need a car.
Last edited by: thirsty: May 12, 05 14:34
Quote Reply

Prev Next