Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Seatpost clamp help
Quote | Reply
I am looking to replace my seat post clamp on my '14 Specialized Crux. Aluminum frame, aluminum seat post. Clearly printed on the current collar is 32.6 as well as the Specialized brand name and torque specs. This is not a common, off the shelf size seat post clamp size obviously. Is this a special unique standard that Specialized chose to do? I pulled out the calipers as a sanity check: seat post = 27.2, seat tube OD = 32.6.

Thanks

"It never gets easier, you just go faster."
-Greg LeMond

Quote Reply
Re: Seatpost clamp help [gluestick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why do you want to replace it?
Quote Reply
Re: Seatpost clamp help [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good question. I bought the bike used a while back and while going over everything I noticed the clamp was on upside down (text was upside down). When I flipped it over the top black anodized finish was damaged. Looked mostly cosmetic, so I shrugged it off. Looking at the clamp, it has a raised lip on the inner diameter that seems to rest nicely on top of the seat tube and create a snug fit to the seat post. The original owner flipped it so that this lip was pressing on the seat tube, which I presume increased pressure only in that area and not across the whole collar as designed. Recently I noticed the seat post has been creeping down slowly, despite how much I torque the bolt. The bolt itself needs replacement as it is showing stripping in the head area.

Short term fix is to put some carbon paste on the seat tube, get a new bolt, and grease the threads. Longer term I am suspecting the previous owner knew this was slipping and defeated it by having the lip press on the seat tube. I have no idea how the aluminum of the top of the clamp go so damaged, and from a cosmetic standpoint, it looks like hell running it right side up.

-Greg LeMond

Quote Reply
Re: Seatpost clamp help [gluestick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Seatpost clamp help [RichardL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Thanks for sharing these links. So the answer is "yes, this is a standard unique to Specialized"?

-Greg LeMond

Quote Reply