Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Sealed Wheel bearing question
Quote | Reply
This is perhaps a silly question. Can a sealed wheel bearing (front wheel) be installed backwards.

In the usual idle hands do the devils handiwork scenario, I've been busy mucking about with some old wheels (12 years old) that have sealed bearings. I was going to replace them but they proved to be an odd size and difficult to find. So cleaning and greasing was the next option. After removing and taking off the (soft) seal on one side to clean I noticed they spun rather easily. Remembering that some remove the seals for racing I tested them without seals and they certainly rotate longer so I wondered if doing that and reversing them on reinstallation, so the open side of the bearing was up against the stops in the hub and somewhat protected from picking up dirt, would be a bad thing.

Tell me how wrong this would be....😇
Quote Reply
Re: Sealed Wheel bearing question [michael Hatch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The bearing wouldn’t care the direction of rotation, so installing “backwards” is not an issue.
However, sealed bearings usually have an “outside” face, determined by the seal the manufacturer opts to put in. Seals not only prevent dirt and moisture to get into the bearing, they also serve the purpose of keeping the grease inside the bearing, to keep it running smooth for a long time, and prevent wear.
The outwards seal is usually more resistant to dirt and water entering the race/balls.
If you’d remove the seal on one side, and install/run the bearing without any seal, even only on the inside, the grease would be gone fairly quick, and even without any contaminants entering the bearing, it will wear out quicker, might even seize.
So - interesting thought, but definitely not a good idea.

I love rim brake bikes!
Last edited by: DavidNeu: Apr 12, 24 15:52
Quote Reply
Re: Sealed Wheel bearing question [DavidNeu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Other relatively rare direction-dependent things are extended inner races and/or flanged outer races. (top pic)

And asymmetrical angling on either the inner or outer races (lower pic)

I've never seen either with wheel bearings, though.

Last edited by: trail: Apr 12, 24 16:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the response and the information.

I realise that this would not be a sensible thing for a daily use wheel. Truth is it's on an old race wheel, that's on an old race bike, with an old race biker, that gets used perhaps 3 times a year and will never see another IM distance. The obvious answer is to put the seal back or race without it and clean up the bearing each time after. The reason I asked is simply, like all bike time geeks, I'm looking for the last ounce of performance while holding off the grim reaper, oh and I'm intrinsically lazy.

But installing them backwards makes cleaning them difficult and getting them out is a pain.

Cheers
Quote Reply
Re: Sealed Wheel bearing question [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fortunately mine are the common garden variety you show on the left. in the top picture.
Quote Reply
Re: Sealed Wheel bearing question [michael Hatch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How about deep cleaning the bearing, I mean really deeep, like getting all the old grease out and then put in some high performance low viscosity bearing grease. Not cheap, but the lower the viscosity of the grease the less drag it will produce, spinning the bearing. Ceramicspeed uses plain oil in their OSPW bearings, but the pulley wheels - of course - don’t have to support a riders weight, just have to keep the chain at tension. But these pulleys spin forever!
Or - go ceramic bearings all together.

I love rim brake bikes!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks again for the suggestion.

I have done the deep clean, although I may not be as meticulous as some, but close enough and used a white lithium grease. Which is not that long lasting but then neither are my races and there are wheels I don't train on.

One of the reasons for taking them out was to measure and try some ceramic bearings. But unfortunately the bearing size proved impossible to replicate.

And yes, I know there's no actual factual evidence they're faster. But when you're tinkerer........😇
Quote Reply