Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Sea2Summit Tri
Quote | Reply
Has anyone on ST done Sea2Summit in NE? If so do you have the GPS files and would you be willing to share them?
Quote Reply
Re: Sea2Summit Tri [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i did it in 2015 as a prep for IM copenhagen. i believe the course has slightly changed from year to year, but in 2015 we swam in salmon-falls river near berwick, rode to wildcat, then ran up Lion head trail. I would love to do the race again, but it has doubled in price. i know costs have gone up, but it was $290 when i did it, and $545 today. the IM in 2015 was only $530..... if they can keep selling out i guess they can charge that much. but every other event i've done up MT washington (tux inferno, fat bike to clouds, auto road run and bike, and Otto ski race) have always been reasonably priced.....well except for the auto road bike race, that has gotten out of hand as well.
gps for the ride https://www.strava.com/activities/334147799 this some gravel sections and goes through the North conway outlets, not sure if that is allowed today. but this is the shortest distance i could come up with.
run https://www.strava.com/activities/334147687
Quote Reply
Re: Sea2Summit Tri [jflan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is awesome! Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mine was not the the official "recommended" route. i specifically went for shortest distance, and doing so ended up on mild gravel early on. also going by the outlets instead of west side road saves a mile or so. if you hit the lights right it is quicker. if you hit red lights it could be a toss up. obviously more traffic that way, but i don't think it is the forbidden part of rt 16, that is further south and much higher speed traffic.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's my Garmin file for the standard bike route.

No need for a GPS route for the run/hike, it's a well-established trail. Unfortunately the year I did it the weather at the summit was uncooperative, so we weren't allowed to go all the way up. We went halfway, turned around and ran down the mountain and finished back to Wildcat. Still a cool experience but I'd like to do it again just to finish at the summit.
Quote Reply
Re: Sea2Summit Tri [Dgconner154] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
they changed the start location last year so the above linked gps course are no longer valid. now start in kennebunkport https://s2stri.com/course-maps/
Quote Reply
Re: Sea2Summit Tri [Tri78910] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In terms of the swim location, I thought the same thing (starting in Kennebunkport) based on the email(s) I received from the RD in the Fall of 2022. The plan was to move the swim venue from the Salmon River in South Berwick to the ocean in Kennebunkport. But I don't think that happened for the 2023 race and the '23 results reference S. Berwick for the location (maybe someone who did the '23 race can confirm).

I did the race in 2017 (swim canceled, run only 1/2 way up Mt. Washington) and again in 2022. In 2022 the water quality of the Salmon River was bad enough that they moved the swim start to Knights Pond. Knights Pond was awesome...super clean and clear water and the water was like glass. The change in swim venue barely changed the bike route. Other than asking participants to keep the noise level down on race morning because you are essentially in/next to a subdivision, Knights Pond is a good set up.

I would do this race every year if I lived in the area. It is a fun, unique event. Prices are a bit steep given that you are self-supported for the race, but prices are going up everywhere.

Tad

It took awhile, but I finally discovered that its not the destination that's important, but rather the journey.
Quote Reply
Re: Sea2Summit Tri [TMT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TMT wrote:
In terms of the swim location, I thought the same thing (starting in Kennebunkport) based on the email(s) I received from the RD in the Fall of 2022. The plan was to move the swim venue from the Salmon River in South Berwick to the ocean in Kennebunkport. But I don't think that happened for the 2023 race and the '23 results reference S. Berwick for the location (maybe someone who did the '23 race can confirm).

I did the race in 2017 (swim canceled, run only 1/2 way up Mt. Washington) and again in 2022. In 2022 the water quality of the Salmon River was bad enough that they moved the swim start to Knights Pond. Knights Pond was awesome...super clean and clear water and the water was like glass. The change in swim venue barely changed the bike route. Other than asking participants to keep the noise level down on race morning because you are essentially in/next to a subdivision, Knights Pond is a good set up.

I would do this race every year if I lived in the area. It is a fun, unique event. Prices are a bit steep given that you are self-supported for the race, but prices are going up everywhere.

Pretty sure you're right, it looks like the 2023 swim was also at Knights Pond.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've thought about this race for a couple years. Would love to put it on my radar for 2025 or so.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri78910 wrote:
they changed the start location last year so the above linked gps course are no longer valid. now start in kennebunkport https://s2stri.com/course-maps/

Yes, I'm aware. But the current maps aren't really useful. Possibly there are a few miles at the beginning that are off but that gives me a good idea of the elevation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you scroll down to the bike course section here there is also a gpx and strava file https://neeevents.com/...tails-sea-to-summit/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Doh. Totally missed it. Thanks.
Quote Reply