Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Scott Plasma Repair Advice
Quote | Reply
I returned to the bike shop three weeks after purchase of my Scott Plasma Team for the fitting. The store employee failed to secure the bike properly in the trainer, and after a few pedal strokes the bike fell out (luckily I landed against the mirror).

The seatstay (right above where it meets the chainstay) was deeply scratched and chipped by the contact with the trainer. The bike shop kept it overnight and used fingernail polish to 'repair' the damage. That was quite ineffective in getting the bike to pre incident condition.

What options do I have in getting my beautiful bike back to it's original splendor?

Quote Reply
Re: Scott Plasma Repair Advice [Twilight_Chicka] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If there is any question about structural integrity of the seatstay the shop should take a digital picture and email it to the Scott engineers for review. Scott has a very fair replacement program "if" the frame is damaged and cannot be safely ridden under warranty. They will not offer the replacement if the frame is cosmetically damaged; it appears that is the case.

If it is just a cosmetic issue, you might be able to send it to Calfee for repair.

If it is just the clear coat that is damaged the fingernail polish clear coat is(was) an option.

Good luck!

- Matt

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

1. Contact Scott - advise them of the situation

2. Determine as best you can the extent of the damage and if it is structural or cosmetic

3. If cosmetic - it likely will not qualify under a crash replacement warranty

4. Calfee do nice cosmetic repair work

2. Have Scott and your LBS work this out - the LBS may be willing to work with you on a replacement frame if needed (if this was their doing - I would be asking them to pay (at least the majority) of a replacement frame if warranted

Your contact at Scott USA - the best person there would be Silas Hesterberg (Shesterberg@scottusa.com)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it was that scewer that was used. The idiot at the shop should have known it would not work in a trainer. Needs to be swapped out with a round end scewer. Make the shop pay for the replacement as it was negligence on thier part.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow... That seems like irresponsible from Capitol Hill Bikes, especially since you have spent a lot of $$ there and they are our club's sponsor!

----------

“You can't coach desire.” --Dathan Ritzenhein
http://xtreme4.com/ -- an extreme ride for extreme change: go green
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Plasma Repair Advice [ejohns3992] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They didn't change the skewer before putting the bike on the trainer. What kind of replacement are you talking about? Do you mean the frame replacement or the seatstay in particular......
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Plasma Repair Advice [mjshapiro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
any advice on those nail polishes??? I do have a similar thing on my carbon giant..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Frame replacement or a hefty store credit if it is only cosmetic
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If the carbon isn't badly damaged (and it doesn't sound like it), the finish should be repairable. I was riding along on my Fuji Team carbon and a wire got trapped in my rear spokes and trashed the hell out of the inside of my seat and chain stays before I could stop. Come to find out that the clear coat in that area (and maybe over the entire bike) is really thin, most likely to keep the weight down. The carbon was a little scratched, but mainly a lot of clear coat was badly flaked off. The bike was only about four months old!

I was pissed, but not too worried because I have the equipment and supplies to apply automotive clear coat, so I did the repair work myself and it came out fine.

I think all you really need to do is find someone good at applying clear coat, like a custom auto shop that has worked with carbon fiber parts. What they'll probably do sand down the damaged area fairly smooth (but not into the carbon fiber), clean it, spray it with adhension promoter, clear coat it, let it cure, then blend in the edges/overspray of the applied clear coat. If they do it right, it should be perfect or near perfect.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bunnyman/daddy doodoo would do the following:

1) sand the area down with high-grit (i.e. > than 320 grit)

2) clean area with acetone

3) apply household two part epoxy, let it cure 24 hours

4) sand down epoxy with 320 grit, then 400, then 600, then 800, then 1000, then 1500, then 2000 grit WET sand paper

5) polish with Finesse-it.

This is why I don't ride plastic bikes.

Call me Big Dick
Quote Reply