Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Scott Plasma Premium vs. BMC TM01
Quote | Reply
Looking at a new frame for 2013. I got a professional fit and have narrowed my search down to the Plasma Premium and the TM01. Either frame will work for me. Does anyone have any thoughts on the pros and cons of each frame. Ride quality, adjustability, etc.

I can get into the Plasma Premium for about $1200 less than the BMC so that is a consideration as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Plasma Premium vs. BMC TM01 [run100z] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As someone with no exp with either of them, I say the TM01 because its cooler
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Scott Plasma 3 is really fast according to Cervelo's data. The BMC has no aero data.
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Plasma Premium vs. BMC TM01 [Nick_Barkley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Scott is much faster than the BMC.

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
CSG Road Engineering Department
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
(ex-Cervelo, ex-Trek, ex-Velomax, ex-Kestrel)
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Plasma Premium vs. BMC TM01 [damon_rinard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
damon_rinard wrote:

What do you base that on Damon? I have a Plasma so happy to here it but have only heard good things about the BMC but never actually seen any comparison data. Any links tyou can share?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i'm hoping to get on the plasma premium this year, and in chatting with the rep, it sounds like it's fairly straight forward to work on / set up. while i don't have experience with the BMC, most 'superbikes' can be quite the pain to work on. from what i've read, the plasma isn't this way at all which is definitely a plus in my book.
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Plasma Premium vs. BMC TM01 [ZingUK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Take a look at Damon's signature line. He may know what he is talking about.

I have a TM01 and bought it because of fit and handling. The Short Medium was a perfect fit for me. It handles so well at speed. I found most other tri bikes with that short a reach had a very short wheelbase and front centre. The TM01 is very well thought out. I did look at the Plasma, but I could get a better deal on the TM01 at the time, and I am very happy with it.
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Plasma Premium vs. BMC TM01 [strathconaman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
strathconaman wrote:
Take a look at Damon's signature line. He may know what he is talking about.

Aha, never noticed that. Well let's hope he know;s what he's talking about.

@317 I only do minor maintenance on mine but do strip it down to pack for races and rebuild and it's very easy work on without any specilist tools
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a plasma and love many things about it.

2 frame bottle cages, rides better then the specialized transition I have, looks bad ass, comes in black, you can use a wide variety of after market parts on it, even changing the stem from the upright to flat isn't hard.

My complaints: horizontal rear dropouts, changing brake pads/adjusting the back brake is a pia.

Could you get me to ride something else? Sure, but you'd have to prove to me that it's faster. Which eliminates most of the bikes in the world right now.

I also bought my frame used, built up with new DA, profile prosvet & T2's for right at $3k iirc.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
damon_rinard wrote:

Golden.

OP: Unless you've conducted your own rigorous testing I'd take this guy's word for it.
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Plasma Premium vs. BMC TM01 [317] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Certainly the brakes are easier to adjust on the Plasma. Brutal on the TM01.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Damon, please define "much" faster. I'm curious since it sounds like you have tested it and there hasn't been any published numbers that I've seen.

Fraser Bicycle | First Endurance

Check out my blog here | Twitter:@tmalis3
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Plasma Premium vs. BMC TM01 [Tom Maliszewski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom Maliszewski wrote:
Damon, please define "much" faster. I'm curious since it sounds like you have tested it and there hasn't been any published numbers that I've seen.

Stop crying! "MUCH FASTER" means MUCH FASTER! ask BMC to put some numbers out!
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Plasma Premium vs. BMC TM01 [RIOBR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Who's crying? I asked an honest question. I haven't seen any data either and I'm curious what is considered much faster. Is it 50g of drag, 100g, 200g?

I never did any formal aero field testing, but after riding a P3C in 2010, Nosecone Shiv in 2011 and BMC TM01 in 2012, I have a pretty good idea how they compare to each other for *MY* set-up. Also, when an expert like Damon chimes in, it is always interesting to get his feedback and perspective.

Fraser Bicycle | First Endurance

Check out my blog here | Twitter:@tmalis3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ZingUK wrote:
damon_rinard wrote:

What do you base that on Damon? I have a Plasma so happy to here it but have only heard good things about the BMC but never actually seen any comparison data. Any links tyou can share?

Do you think Damon would say that without having any evidence? Drives me crazy when someone question the expertise of one of the best in the buisness.

Formely stef32
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Plasma Premium vs. BMC TM01 [stef32] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To add to my rant, he doesnt have to provide shit! he's doing us a favor so don't push your luck

Formely stef32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Damon is one of those guys that when he speaks you stfu and listen.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stef32 wrote:
[
Do you think Damon would say that without having any evidence? Drives me crazy when someone question the expertise of one of the best in the buisness.

a: With due respect to Damon I've never heard of him and don't know what expertise he has
b: even assuming his expertise just to put up a line like X is faster than y he's asking for people to request more data
c: so if you go to your doctor and he tells you will die in 6 months from a rare disease even although he's an expert you wouldn't get a second opinion?

Grow up
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I highly suggest researching what he has done for the advancement of bike aerodynamics.

Start with aero forks, that should give you a couple hours of reading.
Last edited by: Nick_Barkley: Dec 15, 12 21:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not doubting Damon at all but I'm not going to spend 2 hours either researching everybody in ST's signature profile everytime they put a post up, that's just stupid.

You guys are like religious zealots, Damo says it so it must be true.....remember unquestioning believers once thought the earth was flat and the universe circled around us until someone stood up and questioned the experts....no harm to ask where the data comes from
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In case you live under a rock, Damon rinard is one of the senior engineers working for cervelo. he arguably holds as much clout as gerard vroomen and phil white in cervelo, the founders.

As a leading company in aero bikes, I think cervelo has done their due homework. if you are serious about buying a fast bike, some basic research will show you that cervelo does wind tunnel testing. alot of it. not only of their own bikes, but their competitors bikes. there are pictures showing them testing the S5 alongside it's contemporaries the specialized venge, and the scott foil. in the design of the P4, a simple search on slowtwitch will show you cervelo's own data HERE: http://www.slowtwitch.com/...the_Tunnel_1929.html . as you can see, the Plasma 3 does exceedingly well in the tunnel at 10-15 degrees.

obviously the P5 and other bikes like the BMC TM01 haven't been tested as they are relatively new, but if a senior aero bike engineer who HAS tested the plasma 3 in the tunnel takes the time to reply this post, and repaetedly praises the merits of a COMPETITORS bike, I think I'd pay abit more attention to what he has to say. I don't think damon would reveal any test data cervelo has done, company secrets and all that. But I'd suggest you be more appreciatve of good people who take their time to share their comments.
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Plasma Premium vs. BMC TM01 [davidalone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davidalone wrote:
In case you live under a rock, Damon rinard is one of the senior engineers working for cervelo. he arguably holds as much clout as gerard vroomen and phil white in cervelo, the founders.

Yes I live under a rock, I freely admit that I had never heard of Damon until this thread but even if I had I would still ask if there is a link to data so I can read further into the subject (ie is the plasma faster than the BMC) myself, do you really think that's an unreasonable request? And as someone who already has a plasma this infor would certainly be of interest.

Do you sell Damo t-shirts or just wear them?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ok this thread is going sideways fast.
i'll add another perspective. I have had my fair share of bayonet fork bikes over the years (09 Felt DA, nosecone shiv 2011, 2011 Felt DA) and honestly right now i tend to prefer bikes with conventional brakes and standard forks.
they are just so much easier to maintain and pack for races.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ZingUK wrote:
davidalone wrote:

Yes I live under a rock, I freely admit that I had never heard of Damon until this thread but even if I had I would still ask if there is a link to data so I can read further into the subject (ie is the plasma faster than the BMC) myself, do you really think that's an unreasonable request? And as someone who already has a plasma this infor would certainly be of interest.

Do you sell Damo t-shirts or just wear them?

Don't be sad just because u have slower bike....... what matters are the legs!!!
Last edited by: RIOBR: Dec 16, 12 3:33
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Plasma Premium vs. BMC TM01 [RIOBR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RIOBR wrote:
[
Don't be sad just because u have slower bike....... what matters are the legs!!!

No no, I have the Plasma so that's ok I can forget all about training now....the plasmas faster :-))))
Quote Reply

Prev Next