Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Scott Plasma 5 Owners - Help?
Quote | Reply
I'm lost. I bought a used 2016 Plasma 5 in size Large. The "Large" sticker is even still on the frame.

My aero water bottle and rubber fairings rub mildly on the front wheel. The previous owner shaved a bit of material off of both the bottle and fairing to make the rub almost imperceptable. He said he thought there was a manufacturing defect in the bike/fork itself. I wasn't so sure.

I figured maybe he had put the XL bottle on the bike. Another poster here also has a size Large Plasma 5, and his water bottle measures (with a tape measure) about 1.5" shorter than mine. So maybe I have the wrong size?

So I ordered an entirely new large water bottle assembly, shipped from the UK, and it just arrived. It is the exact same size as the current bottle and obviously still rubs.

I now see that both bottles have a big "L" on the back of them. Grrrr.

So here is my question: if you have a size Large Plasma 5, can you look at the back of your water bottle and tell me if it is a "M" or "L"? Maybe something is going on here where the Large Plasma 5 takes the medium aero bottle?

There is just no way this should be rubbing.

Any help or advice will be appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Plasma 5 Owners - Help? [Train] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My Plasma 5 is in storage in my attic, I will have a look later on and tell you what size my bottle etc is. I think I have a 56cm frame. The clearances are normally pretty tight. I have not looked at mine for a few years since it went into the attic.
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Plasma 5 Owners - Help? [Amnesia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No worries. I am getting to the bottom of this. The frame size and bottle size should match. The guy who had a Large frame with medium bottle turned out to have a medium frame (much to his surprise.)

I am talking with Scott to try to figure out wtf could be wrong here. Only thing I can figure is a tiny manufacturing defect in the water bottle mount bracket that screws to the stem. If that were manufactured just a hair off, I think I would experience the minor rubbing that I am getting.

And a Plasma 5 in an attic? You must have one baller attic!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LOL. The attic is pretty insane. I switched all my bikes over to disc brakes and used a few of the Di2 parts from the Plasma on one bike. So it is in a few pieces upstairs and I have not had the heart to bring it down and clean it and sell the frame off etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lol. That is awesome.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Plasma 5 owner.

Just as for the rear, you have two screws in the fork when you remove the wheel to adjust the distance of the wheel from the bottle / the tilt if your wheel is not in line with the frame.

Let me know if this solved it / if you need a picture . Below, from the manuel, look on the right, screws are ITEM 511

Last edited by: strangename: Jun 7, 23 7:10
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Plasma 5 Owners - Help? [strangename] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Genius!!!!!

I just unscrewed those a few turns and that solves it!!!

I will remove them entirely and add some fresh loctite and reinstall them.

Do you happen to know how many millimeters you have exposed on yours? Mine are now a couple mm exposed and I want to make sure I'm not adding risk of failure by having them too far out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Around 1.5 mm, I guess it will depend a lot on the tire used.

Glad I could help, the rubbing drove me nut a few years ago when I bought it used.

A little tip : try not to remove the front bottle, as much as possible. The friction of taking on/of will eventually cut the plastic, and leak.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, thank you so much. I knew there had to be a simple solution here.

Thank you also for the bottle tip!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
strangename wrote:
Around 1.5 mm, I guess it will depend a lot on the tire used.

Glad I could help, the rubbing drove me nut a few years ago when I bought it used.

A little tip : try not to remove the front bottle, as much as possible. The friction of taking on/of will eventually cut the plastic, and leak.

I've been using water in my front bottle so I don't have to remove it much. It's also a pain to pull off.

Thanks for the tip on the screws, I didn't even know mine had those as mine are almost all the way up, maybe 1mm out.

I am also the idiot who thought he had a large......but it was a medium.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am late to the party sorry and it looks like you have the issue sorted!!
I checked my bike in the attack and it is a large bottle with a 56cm frame.
I was wondering about those screws as well, the other ones I was thinking to check were the mount for the actual bottle itself, as if there are spacers etc in there is will lower the height of the bottle. See pics attached for what I was referring to!
Good luck with the bike, they are great, fast machines.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the pictures. I will check for those spacers on the mount screws, too. It would not surprise me to find them missing because my fork screws are out now about 3.5mm to prevent the wheel rub, so it seems like something small elsewhere could also be contributing to the issue.

So thanks again.

Now I just need to put in a solid three years of training to justify having a superbike. :)
Quote Reply