Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
School me on power meters using pedal system!
Quote | Reply
Hi everyone,
I would like to begin using a power meter outdoors on my road bike and/or TT bike (so I need something interchangeable). I currently have a Computrainer for indoor riding.
What has been your experience with Garmin pedals? and any others? I believe I would need to get a new Garmin watch to go with the system? How have the pedals worked for you?

Thanks!

KK
Quote Reply
Re: School me on power meters using pedal system! [Kat_Kong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KK,

I love my PowerTap P1s. They are easy to get on and off with an allen wrench. The biggest complaint about them is the weight, but it has not been a big deal for me. My P1s worked fine with my 920 and work great with my Wahoo Element Bolt. They also work well with Zwift and VirtuGo.

Check out DC Rainmaker’s power meter guide for all of the details on the different ones. I have heard good things about a number of pedal-based types.

https://www.endurancelab.fit
https://www.teamodz.com
https://discuss.endurancelab.fit
Last edited by: Evil Elf: Jul 1, 18 7:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My experience with Garmin pedals has been horrible. Because i was happy with my garmin computer i thought they would build nice pedals and bought vector 1 with tools for perfect installation torque. It was bad. Then i thought man it was their first attempt, V2 should iron out problems. I bought V2 and it was not better. I mean sure it display a number but it's fluctuating a lot from ride to ride (which was not the case ob my old power2max). It's a lot of money and a lot of time lost.
Now i see Vector3 users are in much pain and i think garmin clearly was not up to the power meter game.

Now i have favero assioma. Compare to my indoor trainer they read a touch low but those are very consistent, bike swap after bike swap.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wait for the SRM pedals.
Quote Reply
Re: School me on power meters using pedal system! [Ajaj191] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
V1--most of my issues were actually iPhone related and the OS updating very early on.
V2 upgrade from above V1.. Iphone OS issues long solved, I went through some pods but that was my fault (curbs and rocks) but otherwise fairly trouble free. Have them on my TT bike now.
V3- battery door, solved with cork trick. I do have the new redesign now and it's been good without the cork trick. My only gripe would be battery life.. seemed like v2 last a little longer.
Quote Reply
Re: School me on power meters using pedal system! [mike s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I saw DCR's review when it came out.....don't buy them basically...

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the PowerTap P1, and I love them. I regularly swap them between bikes. No experience with the other pedal-based power meters.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been very happy with the Powertap P1s. I swap them between my bikes all the time.

Don't drown. Don't crash. Don't walk.
Quote Reply
Re: School me on power meters using pedal system! [rotosound] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I trashed my Vector 3's, and got Favero Assioma. I love them.
Quote Reply
Re: School me on power meters using pedal system! [Jamie73] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ve used both pretty extensively (8 mos daily use on P1 then 9 mos daily use on Vector 3). In my opinion the Garmin is a beter executed system. As expected it’s a cleaner integration with Garmin computers (I don’t have experience with Wahoo or Lezyne). I have struggled with the battery door issue as have my customers. The new battery door has solved the problem in all but one of the sets I’ve sold. The remaining set are TBD because of limited use since the new doors. I blew through a set of bearings on my P1’s in 7 mos. I haven’t had any wear or durability issues with the V3’s. Both companies have great customer service. I don’t hesitate to buy from either of them. I like that PowerTap is more of a performance based company and they have a long history in power meters. I like that Garmin is a technology company and has lots of experience with integration and industrial design. I prefer my V3’s simply because they are better looking, lighter and they use regular look cleats. I also like not getting the “right pedal missing” warning that I would get with my P1’s and Garmin computer.

You really can’t go wrong with either system. They each have their pros and cons.
Quote Reply
Re: School me on power meters using pedal system! [spntrxi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spntrxi wrote:
V1--most of my issues were actually iPhone related and the OS updating very early on.
V2 upgrade from above V1.. Iphone OS issues long solved, I went through some pods but that was my fault (curbs and rocks) but otherwise fairly trouble free. Have them on my TT bike now.
V3- battery door, solved with cork trick. I do have the new redesign now and it's been good without the cork trick. My only gripe would be battery life.. seemed like v2 last a little longer.

My n=1

V1 - never had any problems. One pod died after 2 years and Garmin sent me the kit to upgrade my V1's to V2's.
V2 - never had any problems. Still riding them on my road bike.
V3 - had some dropouts. Garmin sent me new battery doors (with free overnight shipping, no less) and no problems since then.

Maybe I'm just lucky, or careful with my gear, or something... I dunno.
Quote Reply
Re: School me on power meters using pedal system! [TizzleDK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TizzleDK wrote:

You're talking about the SRM Exakt? This preliminary review? (full review isn't out yet afaik). Nothing negative in that preliminary review except setup maybe being not nearly as easy as others, and, of course, they're more expensive.
Last edited by: trail: Jul 1, 18 17:08
Quote Reply
Re: School me on power meters using pedal system! [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
True....but lets assume that they are accurate.....you can get just as good or better options for less money hence my comment (which I should have attributed to my opinion) to not consider them.

Quote Reply
Re: School me on power meters using pedal system! [mike s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mike s wrote:
Wait for the SRM pedals.

I know that SRM makes some really nice crank-based power meters (I've owned one in the past), but I'm not sure where this unfounded faith comes from that they'll nail it on the first iteration with a pedal-based power meter. Garmin is on gen 3, and that's after the company they acquired (their name escapes me now) did R&D on that design for a couple of years. Seems to me that anyone (including SRM) is going to go through a learning curve when entering an area they've never been in before.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the vector 3's and have had no real issues. I might be one of the lucky ones. I was sent new doors recently which I swapped out. My only complaint is the battery life is terrible. I get maybe 30 hours on each pedal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Returned my Vector 3s....wayyyyyy too many issues....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another happy P1 user here. I have a set and my wife does as well. No issues.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TizzleDK wrote:
True....but lets assume that they are accurate.....you can get just as good or better options for less money hence my comment (which I should have attributed to my opinion) to not consider them.

Yeah, I'm leaning Assioma. But the SRMs do appear to have the best packaging. And you get real Look pedals.
Quote Reply
Re: School me on power meters using pedal system! [SteveCoz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ordered my Garmin Vector 3 dual sided pedals back in February. Add me to the list of very frustrated users. If Garmin could ever get me the new battery caps, perhaps that would solve the last of the issues. Be prepared to wait 60-90 minutes each time you call customer support to have them give you a non-answer.
Quote Reply
Re: School me on power meters using pedal system! [kajukenbo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kajukenbo wrote:
I ordered my Garmin Vector 3 dual sided pedals back in February. Add me to the list of very frustrated users. If Garmin could ever get me the new battery caps, perhaps that would solve the last of the issues. Be prepared to wait 60-90 minutes each time you call customer support to have them give you a non-answer.

You do know that you can enter your phone number and they'll call you back, right? Who on earth would sit on the phone for 60-90 minutes?
Quote Reply
Re: School me on power meters using pedal system! [el gato] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That doesn't work if you have setup the call back, they call you back and then transfer you to someone else. Ask me how I know and how many hours I've wasted dealing with Garmin Support.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
TizzleDK wrote:

Yeah, I'm leaning Assioma. But the SRMs do appear to have the best packaging. And you get real Look pedals.

Genuine Look pedals is tempting I have to admit! That price is crazy high though. Guess I'll just procrastinate a bit longer while I see how the SRMs perform on long term tests and whether the price comes down. I've already been sitting on the fence on power meter for a couple of years (was waiting for a Shimano compatible option, which arrived with the Vector 2s but was kind of clunky, then when the Vector 3s came out I finally accepted that with every leading power pedal on the market being Look-compatible I might just have to change my cleats, then the Vector 3 had the battery issues, now the SRM is on the horizon...) I guess another 6 months or so won't hurt!
Quote Reply
Re: School me on power meters using pedal system! [cartsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you don't need some right this minute wait until the winter.....new models will certainly come out and the prices should drop even further....then you should really be set with lots of options and better prices...which leaves money for more gadgets :)))))). I am kinda waiting for prices to come down more so I can replace my Rotor InPower. Its left side only and thats not very useful what I want to do in the future.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
TizzleDK wrote:

You're talking about the SRM Exakt? This preliminary review? (full review isn't out yet afaik). Nothing negative in that preliminary review except setup maybe being not nearly as easy as others, and, of course, they're more expensive.

This little exchange makes me laugh a little inside.

Mostly because it's always interesting how different people read a post different ways. One person thought I was negative on it, another that I was neutral or positive.

It is correct it isn't a review. That'll likely come late July.

I've been riding a pair for the last 3 or so weeks on and off, but having a variety of issues related primarily (I think) to them not sending me the installation tools (and fashioning my own from Home Depot). On Friday I received an updated/new set (with installation tools now), and look to install them later today or tomorrow. I suspect you'll see some of that data included in various Eurobike posts over the next week.

-
My tiny little slice of the internets: dcrainmaker.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think we're done with new models for a while, and what's on the market looks pretty good. Assioma and P2 seem to be accurate, reliable and reasonably priced, just a bit clunky looking. Only question is whether the revamped Vector 3 has solved the reliability issues and/or whether the SRM will prove reliable and come down in price (or prove to be so great that is worth buying even at that price!)
Quote Reply

Prev Next