Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
School me on "fun" bikes? (non road or tri) Pics?
Quote | Reply
Haven't had a "fun" bike since I was 12 yrs old. Now I'm thinking of getting one because I have a popular urban bike trail within a mile that goes for about 50 miles. While the speed limit is 20mph, most travel between 5-15mph with some stop signs and some people walking.

MTB, 29er, fat tire, etc. Used or new. Tires. Brakes. Maintenance. Storage. Transport.

Does a person use their "fun" bike as much as they like to think they would? Yours?

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: School me on "fun" bikes? (non road or tri) Pics? [IT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
do you mean something like a beach cruiser with a basket and a bell?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like a cannondale hooligan? Im 6'4 so i would like a version with lefty and 26inch wheels

My fun bike is my work commuter 20km

Mtb
26inch wheels handle great and accelerate
Scwalbe slicks 60 psi, but 2.1 for grip and comfort
bmx spd shoes for easy walking
Discbrakes for safety around traffic and slower bikers
Trelock trigo 300 lock (top bolt on lower drinkbottle bolt hole to keep center of gravity low)
Arione saddle is light and thin enough to bike with baggy shorts
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess everyone's idea of fun is different, but my fun bike is my YT Jeffsy (full-suspension 29er trail bike). I bought it last year to replace a 10 year old Gary Fisher hardtail, and I wasn't sure how much I'd actually end up riding it considering I hadn't ridden the Gary Fisher much in the previous years. Turns out it's an absolute blast to ride and has completely reignited my passion for mountain biking, to the point where I'd rather do that over road riding most of the time. I probably average one or two real rides a week, but I also use it to cruise around the neighborhood with my daughter when she rides her bike.

As far as maintenance I guess it's on the fussier side as most FS mountain bikes are. Hydraulic discs, two shocks and a dropper post means more things to maintain but they are also built to take abuse. Drivetrain parts tend to wear out kinda quickly because of the dirt and grime and constant shifting. Totally worth it considering how fun it is to ride though.

I will say it's probably not the best option for the use case you described. If I were going to buy one bike that I could use on urban bike paths, around town, and off-road, I'd probably go with a fun hardtail mountain bike like the Commencal Meta HT or Santa Cruz Chameleon with flat pedals. Both can run 27.5"+ or 29" wheels which gives you lots of options for different terrain/handling.

ETA: To your question about transport, the main reason I don't ride my mountain bike more often is because I have to put the rack on my car and drive to all the good local spots. If I could ride to them I'd do it much more.

Last edited by: Dgconner154: Apr 24, 19 7:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For me any bike that is not a tri-bike is my "fun bike". I use my tri-bike on the trainer all winter and on the roads from late April to the end of triathlon season which varies year to year. I live in a climate with a harsh winter. Off season we love our mountain bikes and cross/gravel bikes and ride only those bikes. I love the trails and quiet gravel roads. Much safer and more fun. Plus it's great maintenance work while being enjoyable. So it could be several months of "fun bike" use each year. Winter I'm mostly on the trainer riding my tri bike. But we do get out on our fat bikes and ride the snowy packed trails which are awesome. So I guess it depends on the athlete. I only ride my tri bike purely for triathlon training. My road bike has been hanging up for years mostly because I don't find our paved roads very safe, and only train on them when necessary on my tri bike.

Death is easy....peaceful. Life is harder.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd like to get an adult sized big wheel!
Quote Reply
Re: School me on "fun" bikes? (non road or tri) Pics? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:

We have one in our office. It was fun for a few days until someone almost got hit by a car!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a Scattante SSR - Performance Bike’s single-speed/fixed gear. I used it to commute to school and work and just ride on bike paths for fun when I was in grad school. I had it set up with a flip-flop hub but I would mostly ride it fixed gear. Loved the feel of the bike and how low maintenance it was. Kind of wished I wouldn’t had sold it, but I wanted/needed money for a cyclocross bike at the time

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
my fun bike is a cheap adventure/gravel road bike, I think what makes it fun for me is the cheap part, being able to lock it up without too much worry (still some, obviously but it doesn't stand out) and just hammering it off-road. I certainly used more in the off-season but during recovery weeks it is a staple for coffee rides. I may also use it for commuting once I get the route set.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fat bike is super fun. Use it all the time. Beach, snow, just riding around. 907 makes really nice ones.
Quote Reply
Re: School me on "fun" bikes? (non road or tri) Pics? [Jon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hard to take life too serious on a fat bike! Must feel like a monstertruck

The fun part of wider tyres (2inch plus) :
-comfort... Less rider fatigue(cough)
- safety... potholes snd curbs etc no worries
- dont have to pump them up as often
- more puncture resistance
- grip for braking and cornering
Quote Reply
Re: School me on "fun" bikes? (non road or tri) Pics? [lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The tires on a fat bike are usually 4 or 5 inches wide.
Quote Reply
Re: School me on "fun" bikes? (non road or tri) Pics? [Justicebeaver] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Justicebeaver wrote:

You mean like this?

Quote Reply
Re: School me on "fun" bikes? (non road or tri) Pics? [Justicebeaver] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Justicebeaver wrote:

No. But in 10 more years when I'm 74 who knows... The beach isn't far from here after all... Wouldn't I want a fat tire bike for beach cruising?

Quote Reply
Re: School me on "fun" bikes? (non road or tri) Pics? [Dgconner154] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. You give me some things to think about. And yes it would nice to ride with others who don't have a road or tri bike.

Quote Reply
Re: School me on "fun" bikes? (non road or tri) Pics? [70Trigirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hear you. One reason I want a "fun" bike is so I'm not in training mode. Put me on a road or tri bike and I'm immediately in training mode comparing the ride to other rides. Hoping a "fun" bike would let me decompress and enjoy it differently.

Quote Reply
Re: School me on "fun" bikes? (non road or tri) Pics? [Dgconner154] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dgconner154 wrote:
jaretj wrote:

We have one in our office. It was fun for a few days until someone almost got hit by a car!

hahaha seriously?

Quote Reply
Re: School me on "fun" bikes? (non road or tri) Pics? [Pun_Times] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pun_Times wrote:
I had a Scattante SSR - Performance Bike’s single-speed/fixed gear. I used it to commute to school and work and just ride on bike paths for fun when I was in grad school. I had it set up with a flip-flop hub but I would mostly ride it fixed gear. Loved the feel of the bike and how low maintenance it was. Kind of wished I wouldn’t had sold it, but I wanted/needed money for a cyclocross bike at the time

Wow. What a clean looking bike. That style has crossed my mind especially since I will have to carry it up a flight of stairs and put it on the balcony. And a fixie... Used to ride a track bike for winter training and really enjoyed the fixed wheel on the rollers or outside. Thanks for bringing this back to mind.

Quote Reply
Re: School me on "fun" bikes? (non road or tri) Pics? [lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lacticturkey wrote:
Hard to take life too serious on a fat bike! Must feel like a monstertruck

The fun part of wider tyres (2inch plus) :
-comfort... Less rider fatigue(cough)
- safety... potholes snd curbs etc no worries
- dont have to pump them up as often
- more puncture resistance
- grip for braking and cornering

Good friend wanted to sell me his fat bike about six months ago. He was getting a new one. Told me how it could go over curbs, sand, etc. For me though, it looked so heavy. Maybe not Harley Davidson heavy; yet, I wondered if it ever fell over...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a 1970s Schwinn Suburban I picked up for $100 that I love as much as any of my other bikes. 5sp DT shifter, hard to go much over 15, and such a blast.

JustinDoesTriathlon

Owner, FuelRodz Endurance.
Quote Reply
Re: School me on "fun" bikes? (non road or tri) Pics? [bufordt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bufordt wrote:
Justicebeaver wrote:

You mean like this?

Where's the bell?

It would be nice to have an adult size Stingray.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh yes a fun bike is perfect for decompressing and taking time off from serious training. Or even a good use when you have a recovery/easy ride on the training schedule. Even my Ironman coach likes me to have time on my fun bikes during the off season and once in a while during training. She says it's "good for the soul" and feels it is important to have mental breaks and to feel happy. She takes a very holistic approach with me. And it works! I love my fun bikes and get so much use. Go for it! It will change your life :-)

PS - I do love my tri-bike but have a rather complicated relationship with it...….

Death is easy....peaceful. Life is harder.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IT wrote:
bufordt wrote:
Justicebeaver wrote:

You mean like this?

Where's the bell?

It would be nice to have an adult size Stingray.

I don't have a bell or the rear reflector on my Inferno, but I did have this snazzy bike with a horn on it once.

Quote Reply
Re: School me on "fun" bikes? (non road or tri) Pics? [bufordt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
my old commuter bike... converted an old USPS Trek Frame into a single speed..used it a lot in NYC. Never use it now.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/FaXwLF][/url][url=https://flic.kr/p/FaXwLF]Untitled[/url] by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/144481164@N02/]peterszew[/url], on Flickr
Last edited by: triczyk: Apr 24, 19 12:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My fun bike:

Started with a super cheap 29er frame, added a close-out 80mm short-travel suspension fork, got some 2.1" wide micro-knobby tires, and set it up with shimano 105 STI with avid mechanical disc brakes. It's great on bad gravel (or good gravel):

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply

Prev Next