Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Sanity check these build plans for electronic shifting on legacy bikes
Quote | Reply
I have three older bikes I'm trying to outfit with electronic shifting systems.

Bike 1: Converting from 11spd eTap to eTap AXS.

Crankset: 52/36 Quarq Dzero
Wheelset: Roval CLX 32 Rapide

Plan: This is the easy one I think: I need to swap the Roval free hub to XDR with a DT Swiss XDR ratchet style free hub, plus new cassette and new chain.

Bike 2: Converting from Di2 to eTap AXS

Crankset: 50/36 PowerTap C1 on FSA cranks
Wheelset: Pre 2016 Hed Ardennes Black+

Plan: This one is trickier since I think I have to completely replace the rear hub on the Ardennes, plus new cassette and new chain

Bike 3: Install the 11spd Di2 taken from Bike 2 on a 2008 Cervelo SLC-SL.

Concerns:

1) Does AXS FD work with standard chainring combos listed for bike 1 and bike 2? Curious if shifting performance is compromised significantly if not using AXS specific chain rings.

2) It seems like some drilling is needed to internally route Di2 on older cervelo's. I get that the hole near the FD needs to be widened for the wires, but some folks mention drilling top tube, and it isn't clear to me why that is needed vs. just running the cable through one of the shift cable holes. Also, there are mentions to some instructions by cervelo on doing this, but link is broken.

3) Something else I'm missing that will surprise me on installing all this stuff.

Thanks in advance!

---------------------------------------------------------

"What the mind can conceive and believe, the mind and body can achieve; and those who stay will be champions."
Quote Reply
Re: Sanity check these build plans for electronic shifting on legacy bikes [jackattack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
not sure about the FD issue (I'm a 1x dork), but I think you have an issue with the chainrings and flattop chain compatibility. I gather that chain is a bit finicky on what rings it will and won't work on.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Quote Reply
Re: Sanity check these build plans for electronic shifting on legacy bikes [jackattack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Axs chains only run on axs rings/cassette. The roller spacing is different. Even if you do it and it seems to run ok, which I doubt, it will probably chew through chains/chainrings/cassettes very quickly. So no, 1 and 2 will not work
Quote Reply