Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Sanding Brake Pads w/Carbon Wheel
Quote | Reply
I have a friend with a 2016 Cannondale Slice. The rear brake has no barrel adjuster and very little opening, even with the cable disconnected. It was ok until we tried to swap in a wider race wheel. The race wheel is an all carbon Flo disc.

We were going to sand down the brake pads but is that really ok to do for a carbon wheel? It seems odd to me that we shouldn't share a pad between aluminum and carbon brake tracks but hitting the pad with an abrasive is ok? What am I missing? Is there a "right" sand paper to use in this case?

FYI, we used thinner pads but there still isn't enough clearance.
Quote Reply
Re: Sanding Brake Pads w/Carbon Wheel [C2B] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes.
Quote Reply
Re: Sanding Brake Pads w/Carbon Wheel [C2B] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
C2B wrote:
I have a friend with a 2016 Cannondale Slice. The rear brake has no barrel adjuster and very little opening, even with the cable disconnected. It was ok until we tried to swap in a wider race wheel. The race wheel is an all carbon Flo disc.

We were going to sand down the brake pads but is that really ok to do for a carbon wheel? It seems odd to me that we shouldn't share a pad between aluminum and carbon brake tracks but hitting the pad with an abrasive is ok? What am I missing? Is there a "right" sand paper to use in this case?

FYI, we used thinner pads but there still isn't enough clearance.

The reason you don't use aluminum pads on aluminum is two reasons:

1) the brake pad was not designed for carbon
2) the aluminum pad may have checks of aluminum that will eat up the carbon wheel

Sanding the pad will be fine as long as you don't let abrasives get embedded in the sanded pad. Again it is the rim you are worried about, not the pad.


Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Speed Hound vs Normatec | Top 10 Wetsuit Buying Tips | Best CHEAP cycling sunglasses | Normatec Pulse Gen 2 | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | 10 Reasons To Consider HED JET+
Quote Reply
Re: Sanding Brake Pads w/Carbon Wheel [C2B] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can just cut them down with a sharp bread knife.

Next races on the schedule: Phil's Cookie Fondo 2019, IMAZ 2019
Quote Reply
Re: Sanding Brake Pads w/Carbon Wheel [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A file or rasp will not imbed abrasive either. It is what I have used in the past for tight fits
Quote Reply
Re: Sanding Brake Pads w/Carbon Wheel [C2B] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone. I'm just surprised there isn't a concern about sandpaper, knife or file adding adulterants into the pad. Sandpaper worried me the most. A brand new rasp that has never been used on anything else seems like a winner to me.
Quote Reply
Re: Sanding Brake Pads w/Carbon Wheel [C2B] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
C2B wrote:
Thanks everyone. I'm just surprised there isn't a concern about sandpaper, knife or file adding adulterants into the pad. Sandpaper worried me the most. A brand new rasp that has never been used on anything else seems like a winner to me.


I wouldn’t worry about abrasive issues from sandpaper. Knocking them down on a belt sander would get the job done quickly and cleanly.

If the rear brake isn’t proprietary you could consider some different pad holders and maybe find more clearance from a swap. Also worth checking if the pad holders are mounted to brake calipers with any washers or spacers in between that could be flipped to the other side of the caliper to increase rim clearance.
Quote Reply
Re: Sanding Brake Pads w/Carbon Wheel [C2B] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wouldn't it be easier to use low profile Swissstop Black Prince blocks?
Quote Reply
Re: Sanding Brake Pads w/Carbon Wheel [C2B] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
C2B wrote:
Thanks everyone. I'm just surprised there isn't a concern about sandpaper, knife or file adding adulterants into the pad. Sandpaper worried me the most. A brand new rasp that has never been used on anything else seems like a winner to me.
Sandpaper might. Knife, rasp, or a file would not. Right?
Quote Reply
Re: Sanding Brake Pads w/Carbon Wheel [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had swiss stop black princes on my trek that were still too wide when new. I used the cone shaped sander thing on my dremel tool to sand them down. No visible debris left in the pads, worked great for 4 years with two different sets of carbon rims.
Quote Reply
Re: Sanding Brake Pads w/Carbon Wheel [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
I had swiss stop black princes on my trek that were still too wide when new. I used the cone shaped sander thing on my dremel tool to sand them down. No visible debris left in the pads, worked great for 4 years with two different sets of carbon rims.

Did you have the "low profile ones"? The ones that are thinner out of the box.


Chris Thornham
FLO Cycling
FASTER Podcast | FLO Blog | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Sanding Brake Pads w/Carbon Wheel [Canadian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Honestly no idea.....probably not.
Regardless, if I ever have the same issue in the future, I'll reach for the dremel.... :)
Quote Reply