Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

San Diego to host 2025 world road running championships
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: San Diego to host 2025 world road running championships [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is this a new championship? Seems so from the article.

1M
Half marathon

No marathon or 10k? Seems odd? What do I not know?
Last edited by: Tribike53: Aug 14, 23 19:38
Quote Reply
Re: San Diego to host 2025 world road running championships [Tribike53] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tribike53 wrote:
Is this a new championship? Seems so from the article.

1M
Half marathon

No marathon or 10k? Seems odd? What do I not know?

So what is the difference between "world road running championship" and "Athletics world championship", because surely 5/10/marathon is a part of the athletics world championship right?
Is it because those 3 distances 1m/5k(road)/halfm, are not part of the "WC" thus gets their own WC?
Quote Reply
Re: San Diego to host 2025 world road running championships [lassekk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So what is the difference between "world road running championship" and "Athletics world championship", because surely 5/10/marathon is a part of the athletics world championship right?
Is it because those 3 distances 1m/5k(road)/halfm, are not part of the "WC" thus gets their own WC?

1) Yes - this is a new World Championships that World Athletics has started. The first one takes place in Riga, Latvia at the end of September

2) Yes - they have some of these distances on the Track 5000m and 10000m etc . . but these races will be conducted on the roads. My understanding is the Marathon for now anyway will remain on the program for the World Athletics World (Track & Field) Championships.

3) They have picked a great location in San Diego - I hope they get great support, and interest in Southern California. I have just returned from Scotland, and the UCI first ever Super Cycling World Championships - and as a North American, going to something like this, it's an eye-opener - athletes and people(fans and spectators) from all over the world! Cycling is a TRULY global and international sport and so is running. The sports that are BIG in North America - with the possible exception of Basketball - are really ONLY big in North America (U.S. & Canada). Point I am getting at here - is that Events like the WA World Road Running Championships - while cool, amazing and awesome, will likely struggle for engagement at a North American location . . which is really unfortunate!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Last edited by: Fleck: Aug 15, 23 11:00
Quote Reply
Re: San Diego to host 2025 world road running championships [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:

1) Yes - this is a new World Championships that World Athletics has started. The first one takes place in Riga, Latvia at the end of September

2) Yes - they have some of these distances on the Track 5000m and 10000m etc . . but these races will be conducted on the roads. My understanding is the Marathon for now anyway will remain on the program for the World Athletics World (Track & Field) Championships.

3) They have picked a great location in San Diego - I hope they get great support, and interest in Southern California. I have just returned from Scotland, and the UCI first ever Cycling World Championships - and as a North American, going to something like this, it's an eye-opener - athletes and people(fans and spectators) from all over the world! Cycling is a TRULY global and international sport. The sports that are BIG in North America - with the possible exception of Basketball - are really ONLY big in North America (U.S. & Canada). Point I am getting at here - is that Events like the WA World Road Running Championships - while cool, amazing and awesome, will likely struggle for engagement at a North American location . . which is really unfortunate!

Yeah i guess i ended up answering my own question.

A bit crazy if that is the case would people not come out for cheering/racing?

This event will in 2026 be in Copenhagen as part od the normal cph half marathon (former wr course). And streets are packed 1-2 lines deep all the way around course almost. There will be 65.000 participants and i see it selling out in no time at all
Quote Reply
Re: San Diego to host 2025 world road running championships [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:

3) They have picked a great location in San Diego - I hope they get great support, and interest in Southern California. I have just returned from Scotland, and the UCI first ever Super Cycling World Championships - and as a North American, going to something like this, it's an eye-opener - athletes and people(fans and spectators) from all over the world! Cycling is a TRULY global and international sport and so is running. The sports that are BIG in North America - with the possible exception of Basketball - are really ONLY big in North America (U.S. & Canada). Point I am getting at here - is that Events like the WA World Road Running Championships - while cool, amazing and awesome, will likely struggle for engagement at a North American location . . which is really unfortunate!

Hmm Yes tour de California ran through San Diego once it was amazing, although I think covid is what really did the race in. San Diego used to also have ITU for 2 years but they were asking too much from the city. Seems like WT and IM have something in common
Quote Reply