Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Sam Long narrates the final 5k of St. George
Quote | Reply
Here's the vid. He actually talks about much more than the last 5k. 400 watts for the first 6 minutes of the bike....:

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
InstagramFacebook
Last edited by: RowToTri: May 4, 21 6:50
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Long narrates the final 5k of St. George [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Epic.

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Long narrates the final 5k of St. George [DrAlexHarrison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Amazing. Must watch. Would love it if Lionel commented the same section. Love this stuff. #ironwarX
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That was some great commentary. Starting to like Sam more each day

Cheers, Ray
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He is completely right. You can't have someone that has a time penalty running at the front of the race. It changes everything!
Cool race though! Wow.
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Long narrates the final 5k of St. George [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, people have been speculating about how Daniel Baekkegard potentially affected the race, and here we know for sure that he affected the front of the tightest, most hotly contested championship race we have seen in a long time. It's allowed in the rules, so I'm not gonna throw shade at him, but I agree that the rule should be changed for pros.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
InstagramFacebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for sharing that Ed. I am a fanboy of BOTH of them, more recently of Sam, and this continues to make him more real. Love the infectious laugh that he's got. We need so much more content like this to keep the sport growing and I believe there is a very real chance that it could happen...(although I'd feel better if there was standardization on this swim warm up deal...)

AG'er to Pro-great story-so nice and really great for him. LS is the consummate pro, though, even with dirty feet on the foot stool. His humor is much dryer, but still fun to watch on vids.

*(oh, and congrats on your WC 70.3 slot)
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Long narrates the final 5k of St. George [dtoce] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks!

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
InstagramFacebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great video, definitely helping keeping me interested in following the pro races.

I'm very surprised, it looks like he is not wearing a watch or a HR monitor on the run. Not sure if this is common amongst pros, and presumably, they don't need pacing tools, but still pretty impressive

It doesn't get easier, you just get slower
https://mymsracesironman.home.blog/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Everything about this is awesome. I’m a big Lionel fan, but YoYoYo is growing on me!
Last edited by: MRid: May 4, 21 11:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
Yeah, people have been speculating about how Daniel Baekkegard potentially affected the race, and here we know for sure that he affected the front of the tightest, most hotly contested championship race we have seen in a long time. It's allowed in the rules, so I'm not gonna throw shade at him, but I agree that the rule should be changed for pros.

I was going to ask on the other thread about the penalty rule but the conversation went another direction, so I'll ask here: Is it really the rule that someone can get a penalty, opt to not serve the penalty (effectively DQ'ing himself), and then keep "racing"?! If so, that's incredibly stupid and needs to be changed.

The options have got to be 1. Serve your penalty, or 2. Quit.

"Yes, you have been disqualified from the race. No, you are no longer part of the race. You can't win. Your time won't count. What's that, you'd like to keep playing along with everyone else? Sure, go ahead...."
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Long narrates the final 5k of St. George [Kampinou] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure if this is common amongst pros, and presumably, they don't need pacing tools, but still pretty impressive //

Umm, his pacing tool was Lionel, and no offense to the Green Machine(he is not tool). He mentioned it in his clip here that he and Lionel were sans watches, but it is clear Lionel has one on his right wrist. I'm not sure when it all happened, but for at least the first two decades of racing pro in this sport, we all raced pretty much on feel and PE. Many of us wore heart rate monitors, but that was mostly for information gathering for later times. Sam strikes me as an old school racer at heart, but bombarded with all the new technology that is hard to ignore..

He certainly is part of the next generation that will take over long distance racing, and pretty cool that he will overlap with some of the all time greats that are on their way out, scratching and clawing for just one more year, then just one more!!

Quote Reply
Re: Sam Long narrates the final 5k of St. George [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think what Lionel has on his right wrist is a whoop, not a gps watch. He won't get any pacing data (not even time) from that.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
InstagramFacebook
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Long narrates the final 5k of St. George [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lionel actually doesn't wear a watch for the run. He actually mentioned that in his own video before race day (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zrFIC_0dAU) at about 7:30 he is setting up his run bag and at around 8:55 he mentions not wearing a watch during the run. What you see might be his Whoop strap thing. Not sure why he'd wear it during the race though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I absolutely love this kid. I watched this live and it was the most fun Tri race I have watched in a very long time. I love seeing Sam's progress. I was was at Bear Lake Brawl late last year doing the full but the field was so small that we got to see all the pros including Sam. He won the Half on what was a brutal day and his race report, like this one, was pure gold.

------------------
http://dontletitdefeatyou.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Long narrates the final 5k of St. George [Lock_N_Load] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And he's 8 years younger. Just think where Lionel was 8 years ago!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For some reason Long's personality just... grates on me the wrong way. Gotta respect him and his performance though. What an epic battle and I loved the display of emotion and sportsmanship between the two.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The intro was legit. Loved the vibes.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Long narrates the final 5k of St. George [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Absolutely love what Sam brings to the sport. Nice to see a pro who is authentic and has a personality. Lot more respect for a pro like him that isn't just posting some ad like content for their sponsors everytime you see them post on social media or Youtube, love the authenticity of what he brings. Nice to see his work paying off and having him racing at the top level of the sport. It is great for the sport and driving more interest in tri.
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Long narrates the final 5k of St. George [FuzzyRunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FuzzyRunner wrote:
What you see might be his Whoop strap thing. Not sure why he'd wear it during the race though.

For dough? No other reason to wear it, ever, I guess.

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Crazy to hear him estimate how fast they were running for those last 5K...would love to know the actual splits (as he said in the video), but they were flying. Cool to see them push each other like that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sanders looked like he went to a seriously painful place on this run.
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Long narrates the final 5k of St. George [kajet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kajet wrote:
FuzzyRunner wrote:
What you see might be his Whoop strap thing. Not sure why he'd wear it during the race though.

For dough? No other reason to wear it, ever, I guess.

Exactly!

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Long narrates the final 5k of St. George [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
For some reason Long's personality just... grates on me the wrong way. Gotta respect him and his performance though. What an epic battle and I loved the display of emotion and sportsmanship between the two.

After Saturday I upgraded my opinion of his personality to neutral....this was a huge improvement.

He’s growing on me, but then he says stuff like “10 guys gave up when they saw me” lol. I don’t know, he’s young and maybe a bit immature...but has dorky earnestness.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Long narrates the final 5k of St. George [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, he kind of rubs me like a really immature frat kid or something. I don't really know that much about him, he just puts out that vibe.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply

Prev Next