Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Sam Long coaching change [timr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He was doing testing today with Neal Henderson too. With Wahoo but...never know!

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That maybe possible too but what would Dan ( or any coach) do from so far away to help him take it to the level, better then…. Checks notes, second place at 70.3 worlds

Technique will always last longer then energy production. Improve biomechanics, improve performance.
http://Www.anthonytoth.ca, triathletetoth@twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
timr wrote:
The coaches page Sam was commenting on Instagram is a scientific coach with several Pros and one of his athletes holds a KONA World Championship Crown (Chelsea Sodaro). Dan Plews. I PMd Sam to ask but he hasn't responded. I don't know why there would be a relationship there other than coach/athlete discussion. They haven't been to any of the same races and they are in two different continents. I'd love to see Sam use Dan's knowledge and approach so I'm hoping one of them announces a partnership soon.

Dan Plews also unsuccessfully coached Taren...rofl.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Long coaching change [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you - made my day
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Long coaching change [Bosco64] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree...lol

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
timr wrote:
The coaches page Sam was commenting on Instagram is a scientific coach with several Pros and one of his athletes holds a KONA World Championship Crown (Chelsea Sodaro). Dan Plews. I

The notion that Dan Plews has a particularly scientific approach doesn't really appeal to me. Apart from coaching Chelsea Sodaro (as well as a number of other athletes, who unlike Chelsea may have not reached their potential), he's known for popularizing the fad that is the keto diet and selling associated products. Few things are less scientific.

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Last edited by: kajet: Dec 18, 22 2:42
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Long coaching change [kajet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kajet wrote:
timr wrote:
The coaches page Sam was commenting on Instagram is a scientific coach with several Pros and one of his athletes holds a KONA World Championship Crown (Chelsea Sodaro). Dan Plews. I

The notion that Dan Plews has a particularly scientific approach doesn't really appeal to me. Apart from coaching Chelsea Sodaro (as well as a number of other athletes, who unlike Chelsea may have not reached their potential), he's know for popularizing the fad that is the keto diet and selling associated products. Few things are less scientific.
Not disagreeing , overall science is more of a fad word ,
At the same time the guy has a pretty solid result list in a few sports and also understand s how to make money something many coaches struggle to do.
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Long coaching change [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
one thing that always strikes me in conversations about long is that people often mention how young he is.
the man's 27, which i think means he's two years younger than kanute, a year younger than blu, slightly older than gustav, two years older than ditlev, and four years older than laidlow.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Long coaching change [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iron_mike wrote:
one thing that always strikes me in conversations about long is that people often mention how young he is.
the man's 27, which i think means he's two years younger than kanute, a year younger than blu, slightly older than gustav, two years older than ditlev, and four years older than laidlow.

So young...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
26 til Friday

his 'professional age' is younger because he didnt do ITU first
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Long coaching change [Lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lacticturkey wrote:
26 til Friday

That explains the swim :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Long coaching change [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ditlev too )
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Long coaching change [Triathletetoth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the whole science vs art is a great debate. I would say that even in the Norwegian method that relies so much on testing, testing, testing the final parameter is "what the coach sees". At some point it's "how is the athlete responding" irregardless of what the number says. If he's flat for whatever reason, sometimes it's stupid to just keep plugging along. And mind you I think you can tell this even with "online" coaching, especially if you are communicating with them on a daily basis (text / video, etc). Obviously it's much harder to make decisions mid workout that an in person coach can make, but if you and the athlete are on the same page, you can have as much success from "virtual" coaching as you can in person coaching (ESPECIALLY in the parameters of budgetary/life restraints). My earlier point on asking specifically the virtual results of Olav is because this is playing for keeps with professional athletes, so you bet your ass it's going to be tough conversations between athlete and coach. They have a limited number of years to train and race and get the most out of their body. You have to prove to the athlete you can get them there, this isn't an AG setup where coaches can "fake" their way into very much meaningless results.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Long coaching change [kajet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would call him scientific but I could be off. He literally takes muscle biopsies to understand muscle mitochondria effects from training. If Lactate Testing defines scientific, well he does that too.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Long coaching change [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"this isn't an AG setup where coaches can "fake" their way into very much meaningless results."

Heeeey...them's fighting words!

2 points

1. Meaningless to who? The athlete who just finished her first race? The athlete who made it up to the middle of the pack? The athlete who now has a heathier lifestyle than most of the people on his block?

2. For every Olympic Gold Medalist coach there's hundreds of us who coach the 95% of the folks who do this sport.

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
timr wrote:
I would call him scientific but I could be off. He literally takes muscle biopsies to understand muscle mitochondria effects from training. If Lactate Testing defines scientific, well he does that too.

Isn't Olav having poop analyzed ?

How can you call yourself scientific if you don't analyze the poop.
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Long coaching change [Hydrosloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's no point really needed to make. An athlete who's livelihood depends on the sport is going to have a much different coaching pool to choose from then the 95% of the athletes who you say make up the sport.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Long coaching change [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Am I the only one putting A and B together here?

One day, Paulo announces a long distance coaching program, and the next day Sam Long is 'temporarily' uncoached. :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Long coaching change [Diabolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That’s a “real” coaching move there.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Mulen [ In reply to ]
Re: Sam Long coaching change [Mulen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mulen wrote:
Laidlow or Iden are maybe 70 kg? and push 325w over the 180 km - so 4.64 w/kg with a much smaller Cda

I don't know if Iden released his Kona data, but last year at IM Florida is was SIGNIFICANTLY less than that
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Long coaching change [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry mate - I posted in the wrong thread. Deleted now
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Long coaching change [Diabolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have no insider knowledge here but it would make sense for him if he's going to spend a lot of time in Boulder, to go with Neal Henderson. He used to be the CU Sports Medicine Director and ran a world class sport's science facility (it still is). Having coached pro cyclists (Phinney & Rohan to name a few) & a US Olympic team cycling coach & Flora Duffy--being a local coach as well...Neal certainly would fit the bill. Really can't think of anyone in Boulder with better chops to go to with more creds--there may be but a name isn't standing out like Neal's). Bolton is good but he still doesn't have the creds Neal has career wise or education wise in sport science. I guess Bobby McGee would be one with deep background but he's mostly a running coach & doesn't venture into cycling or swimming really--but has worked with USAT as a running consultant for Olympians. Should be interesting to see what develops with Sam--wish him the best in his next step search.
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Long coaching change [Lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lacticturkey wrote:
26 til Friday

this is what I'm talking about.

people seem eager to infantilize the guy.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
iron_mike wrote:
Lacticturkey wrote:
26 til Friday

this is what I'm talking about.

people seem eager to infantilize the guy.

Thank you for pointing this out.
Quote Reply

Prev Next