Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Sam Laidlow doco
Quote | Reply
Not sure if it's already been posted, but Sam just posted not long ago a really nice documentary filmed between Hawaii last year and Nice this year (and beyond), with lots of great info about his journey, etc. Especially great if you're fluent in both English and French as I am.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-0g-y6FMsE

Quote Reply
Re: Sam Laidlow doco [Diabolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For those who aren't fluent in French, CC will translate to English for you
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I saw that it dropped today but the timing feels quite tone-deaf given it’s the women’s Ironman World Championships this week…

Is his team trying to jump aboard the World Champs buzz… or steal their “media thunder this week?
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Laidlow doco [sfjab] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sfjab wrote:
I saw that it dropped today but the timing feels quite tone-deaf given it’s the women’s Ironman World Championships this week…

Is his team trying to jump aboard the World Champs buzz… or steal their “media thunder this week?

Or and i know is totally crazy, they dont have any evil intentions but want to get it out as soon as possible after Nice and now was the time it was done! The longer it takes the less relevant it is.
I would also debate it would get way more attention by not drowning on top of a WC
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really enjoyed it. Gave a great perspective you don't often see and really well put together.

He who understands the WHY, will understand the HOW.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Watched it last night on the treadmill. The more I hear and see from Sam and his dad, the more I like them. Sam appears to have great perspective for sport and his place in it
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sfjab wrote:

The documentary is brilliant.

After listening to a few interviews with Richard Laidlow and seeing the newer content from Sam and family, I'm sure you're right:

They sat down and said to themselves "now how can we use this to steal the thunder of the women's race. How can we be tone deaf?". Sounds just like them!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sfjab wrote:

Lucy Charles Barclay put out a video the week of Men's WC, surely she was also tone-deaf and trying to jump aboard the World Champs buzz, stealing the thunder from the men's race.
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Laidlow doco [Vols] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Vols wrote:
Watched it last night on the treadmill. The more I hear and see from Sam and his dad, the more I like them. Sam appears to have great perspective for sport and his place in it

I'm especially impressed with his dad and how much he credits Sam with so much of the success and even his training partners success.

The dad really seems content to want to put Sam in the limelight and credit him as much as possible, without talking about how smart he himself is. Right or wrong, I'd have the feeling a dad coach wouldn't sound so supportive and deferential!
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Laidlow doco [Lurker4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
His dad did a good podcast with Jack Kelly. Sounds like he doesn’t doo massive volume - averages about 24 hours a week and swims 4 times, but usually 6km or so each swim.

With all the buzz about the “Norwegian Method” why aren’t we hearing more about the “laidlow method”?
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Laidlow doco [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fulla wrote:
His dad did a good podcast with Jack Kelly. Sounds like he doesn’t doo massive volume - averages about 24 hours a week and swims 4 times, but usually 6km or so each swim.

With all the buzz about the “Norwegian Method” why aren’t we hearing more about the “laidlow method”?

It's like fad diets. Hard to sell a diet that says eat healthy food and exercise in moderation. Easy to sell a method that says it has the secret.

24h/w though seems wildly low for someone at that level.
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Laidlow doco [mathematics] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah and we got kiptum who runs 300kms a week with 5 hard sessions!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mathematics wrote:
fulla wrote:

It's like fad diets. Hard to sell a diet that says eat healthy food and exercise in moderation. Easy to sell a method that says it has the secret.

Agreed, that interview was really good - His Dad has a chuckle when asked about Lactate testing and then pointed out it's nothing new, and it's existed for a long time.

What really struck me was the importance he places on individual needs.

Every coach says "it's about the individual" yet somehow most seem to do and repeat the same things - just look at the sudden jump in lactate testing. Richard Laidlow came across as someone who doesn't follow what everyone else does, but instead has built a wealth of experience.

Regarding the volume thing - iirc from the podcast, Sam has been training a lot since a very young age. He responds well to tough sessions and has years of volume.

When you say 24h/week is wildy low - well, he has a second in Kona and a 1st in Nice. Maybe most others are wildly high? Do you have the average per week of other pros over a 12 month period? I doubt it is more than 25 hours or so when averaged over a year.

Anyway, the interview with Richard Laidlow was great.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Watched it on the trainer this morning, very well done.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought it was excellent. What a great relationship their family have. Sam can come across over confident but I think this doco certainly gave a positive insight to this guy. Big things ahead.
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Laidlow doco [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fulla wrote:

The Norwegian method is pretty much the same as everyone that does well.

It was just thought of as doing lactate because of Lionel and the message on podcasts like it was some secret.

Everyone has been doing lactate tests like Richard said.

24 hours is a lot of distance covered by someone fast like same the same distance would take a slower athlete close to 40 hours.

Swim 20-24 for Sam 4-5.5hours
14 hours of bike covers 500 km
6 hours of run covered 75-80.

What would those distances take for a mid packer!

Technique will always last longer then energy production. Improve biomechanics, improve performance.
http://Www.anthonytoth.ca, triathletetoth@twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mathematics wrote:
fulla wrote:

24 hours per week is a lot of volume. Where do you get the "wildly low" ? any numbers, stats or math to argue your point or total Jack Kelly/Trump hyperbole type of statement?

I really liked the documentary, it was really well made. I didn't find it tone deaf in regard to the women's race.
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Laidlow doco [Engner66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Engner66 wrote:
mathematics wrote:
fulla wrote:

24 hours per week is a lot of volume. Where do you get the "wildly low" ? any numbers, stats or math to argue your point or total Jack Kelly/Trump hyperbole type of statement?

I really liked the documentary, it was really well made. I didn't find it tone deaf in regard to the women's race.

Most info puts top tier pros training around 30hrs/wk. See links below from pg 1 of google. Cody Beals even says "This works out to a total training volume of about 22-24 hours per week. My training tends to be on the lower volume, higher intensity side compared to my peers."

And that's not a Trump statement. A Trump statement would be "Have you heard this guy, Sam Laid--Low? This triathlon? Very good, very good triathlete. My uncle was a triathlete-good genes-they run in the family you know. It's true. It's true. But you look at this guy Laid-Low, you look at him and you say 'he's not French?"- trust me I know my French people. My uncle, John Trump, he really would give this kid a run for his money. He only trains what? He says 20 hours? Fellas, fellas."

https://www.codybeals.com/...-my-weekly-schedule/
https://scientifictriathlon.com/...ning-for-an-ironman/
https://www.myprocoach.net/...ours-should-i-train/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just watched this. It was incredibly well put together. Not been a huge Laidlow fan from the start, but the documentary kind of made me change my mind a bit. Really well done and shows the hard work the team has done not only for Sam but others as well.

My Strava | My Instagram | Summerville, SC | 35-39 AG | 4:41 (70.3), 10:05 (140.6) | 3x70.3, 1x140.6 | Cat 2 Cyclist
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Funny
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Going to go out in a limb here …. I thought it was kind of boring 🤷‍♂️
I get it, family is huge, but i would have liked to see more about the day (nice win) I guess ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sfjab wrote:

id like to hear your appraisal of ironman announcing a pro series a few days before femnale world champs given your above post ....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought it was a really great insight into what makes him tick, and behind the scenes with the family. I really enjoyed watching it.

The only question in my mind was why he's wearing that pearl necklace.

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Laidlow doco [robgray] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
robgray wrote:
I thought it was a really great insight into what makes him tick, and behind the scenes with the family. I really enjoyed watching it.

The only question in my mind was why he's wearing that pearl necklace.

Pearly necklaces are very popular in France currently. (Fabio Quartararo the French 2021 MotoGP Champ also wears one)
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Laidlow doco [theyellowcarguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
theyellowcarguy wrote:
Just watched this. It was incredibly well put together. Not been a huge Laidlow fan from the start, but the documentary kind of made me change my mind a bit. Really well done and shows the hard work the team has done not only for Sam but others as well.

Agreed. Watched it on the trainer this week & it really seems like he's done some growing up/maturing in the last year.
Quote Reply

Prev Next