Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Salt Tablets
Quote | Reply
I have a dumb question. I have seen several articles about people taking salt tablets during a long triathlon. My question is where do you find these at? I have not seen any in my local stores and was wondering if there are certain companies that advertised in any of the tri magazines. I do have a problem with salt depletion in long races and thought maybe I should try them. Thanks for any help you may have.
Quote Reply
Re: Salt Tablets [Jets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't take them but have heard ST'ers mention these:

http://www.squeezy.com/salts.htm

------------------------------------------------------------
Searching for the bliss of ultimate exertion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't wish to sound like a pain in the arse here (I would write facetious - but am pretty sure I can't spell it right) but...

Why would you want to take salt tablets? If the problem with salt you have is cramp, salt tablets may well not cure it. The last time I looked into it (at uni in 1995) proper muscle cramp was stil one of the great mysterys of the athletic world. Sure there were lots of theories about what causes it but up until that point there was no evidence that defined it as one thing. A muscle contraction is caused by (and I think I have this correct from memory) calcium exiting the muscle cell so there was another theory that calcium was involved but nobody was ever able to hit the nail on the head.

Personally I would try them out in training and if they prevent cramp or seem to prevent cramp great, give them ago but if you aren't convinced I would say don't bother.

The stomach is a delicate thing after 7, 8, 9, hrs etc of racing much more delicate than after a 7, 8, 9, hr training day. I would think long and hard about putting anything into it just for the sake of. It needs energy and liquid... anything else... be 100% sure it wont do more harm than good.

FWIW - I have personally only experienced cramp (apart from in the toes / foot when swim training - another great mystery) during an athletic race once - a 4hr MTB race in approx 20 degree heat. Possible cause and the only thing I did differently - a very concentrated CHO drink (about 14% from memory) and due to limited water in a remote situation I was perhaps a little dehydrated.

From my expeience of Ironman events (3 incl Hawaii in a very hot year) there is no excuse to be dehydrated as the catering is superb. I have never taken salt, never had cramp and each race I have finished within 1kg of my super hydrated pre race weight. I could well just be fortunate with my metabolism and I am sure plenty of people on this forum will have much better hydration/nutrition plans than me and have still experienced cramp that is relieved by salt tablets... All I am saying is test yourself thoroughly before spending your money and/or suffering problems at the sharp end of an ironman due to your stomach, under extreme stress not handling salt tablets that it may not have needed anyway.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Salt tablets are available from many on-line stores. Here is one reputable example that has three of the classics:

http://www.personalbestnutrition.com/...ts2.html?id=7HCV55ec

Unlike Diamond Adam, I need supplementary salt, moreso on hotter days. You may be like either or neither of us, so experiment early and often.

Dan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This thread will definitely open up a lot of opinions...but most everyone follows the idea (marketing hype?) that you NEED "salt" (electrolytes) during >1hr exercise.

The most prevalent "reason" for taking "salt" during exercise is that the balance of "water" in your system is really "salt water". So that to absorb/hydrate, you need to really have salt water in your system - plain water will, in theory, not be as well absorbed, and in some severe cases "hyponatremia" can occur where you/your cells are actually are drowning in unabsorbed water.

The vast majority school of thought is that you HAVE to add sodium/"electrolytes" to your water intake, or the water won't get absorbed and you won't rehydrate correctly. This seems mostly to come from measuring sweat, which is salty. Certainly all the sports drink vendors believe that you have to have "salt" included.

On the other hand, there is a minority (seemingly well informed from their writings) that believes the salt thing is hype, the the body has plenty of it and that drinking plain water is fine. From my own somewhat extensive experience, which is to suppliment my water with salt tabs for endurance efforts, I can't tell you if it is necessary or not. But it does seem that my sweat is much saltier than normal from it...so I am starting to think that additional "salt" isn't as necessary as people/marketers make you belive.
Quote Reply
Re: Salt Tablets [Diamond Adam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually, calcium is directly responsible for muscle contraction. It is Na+ leaving the cell that initiates the action potential that leads to contraction. Calcium then enters the cell from both extracellular and intracellular stores. The intracellular stores bind the muscle fiber filaments and allow contraction.
However, as the previous poster stated, the reason for taking salt tablets has to do with renal regulation of fluid balance.
As with most advice on training, the best thing to do is experiment and go with works best for you.
Quote Reply
Re: Salt Tablets [scitri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use thermolytes

www.sportsquestdirect.com

they sit well in my stomach and work very well for me!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've ran five marathons within the last three years. I tend to sweat a lot and my sweat is very very salty. Up until this year I had cramped in each of the previous four. I would be fine up until the 20 mile marker or so. Then all hell breaks loose in my legs. This past marathon a few weeks ago I took 2 endurolytes every :45 minutes or so in addition to using Hammergels (2), and 1/2 balance bar. Now I will say that I altered my training schedule a little; no long runs, one run of 13 miles during the 4 months prior to the marathon, ran two times a day 4 days a week (averaged 6 miles per run), incorporated biking, and swimming. But the outcome was no cramps, no need to stop, and a respectable finish time 3:30. I obviously can't confirm that the lack of cramps were due directly to the endurolytes but I definitely think that they played a role. I wouldn't do another event without some form of Na supplement. It's necessary and it would take some pretty concrete evidence to change my mind. Do what works for you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe you can get generic salt tablets at most neighborhood pharmacies. They are generally behind the counter, just ask the pharmacist.

My husband's construction company supplies them (and lots of cool water) to their road crews who spend long hours working with hot Asphalt in the heat and humidity of Florida summers. He has used them during IM, but he is now racing with an InfinIT Nutrition formula which contains his salt replacement needs.

Support Crew

Support Crew
This information contained herein has been assembled for your assistance and convenience. It is believed to be reliable, however, its accuracy cannot be guaranteed. All opinions shown are subject to change without notice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jet,

here's something you want to try, if you're taking salt to help cramping. paul huddle gave this bit of advice. if you take some salt when you feel the cramp coming on and with in a few minutes you feel better, you're probably salt depleted. endurolytes by the hammer gel folks works for me. during long rides i may take one every 45-60 minutes. another factor is the week before an event a lot of people drink water to hydrate. this just flushes your system of salts. hydrate with something that has salt and electrolytes. think about your long training rides and runs, what do you take prior to those and increase it a little.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Endurolytes by e-caps/Hammer Nutrition www.e-caps.com
Quote Reply
Re: Salt Tablets [35518] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"another factor is the week before an event a lot of people drink water to hydrate. this just flushes your system of salts."

Hmm... This may be possible in theory but don't forget that people are eating food in that period also. Most western diets are way over the top in sodium, even a very strict "healthy" athletic diet is going to provide all the sodium needed to prevent the hyponatremia that you alude to.

I am not really sure about the science or mechanism behind the part in bold but will happily stand corrected if someone can reference a study that has found this to be the case.

I do like the tip from Huddle though - a good case of experimenting to know your body.
Quote Reply
Re: Salt Tablets [Diamond Adam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On long events I have used a product that is called Lavasalts. It is a buffered capsule that you can add to your drink bottle or just swallow. We get them at the Bike shop. I love going into General Nutrition and asking for them. Since salt is an essential ingredient of life you would think they would have it, but no. I have been told by at lesst 50 employees that it is too "dangerous" and they won't carry it. But it is ok to take Rip Fuel, PhenPhen, Androg, and Natural roids. Oh ok, my mistake. I guess I will have to go to any dining establishment in the mall and pick up some"black market" salt off the table. G
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a heavy sweater, and if I am in a race over 2 hours in the summer I ALWAYS have cramping and or other dehydration related issues. I just seemingly can't drink enough. And this is after I pretty much emptying out my camel back and 2 bottles worth of my favorite electrolyte replacement drink.

I got turned on to Thermolytes (find them on line. www.sportsquestdirect.com) last year. They really seemed to help. I did a long trail marathon last fall with no problems and more importantly, no dehydration issues until near the end (when I lost my stuff in a swamp. Bummer.).

So for me, they work, though I am not really an expert on why so take my advice with a grain of salt. (pun not intended. Ha Ha)

You don't have anything to lose by trying them. If you follow the instructions, they won't harm you. You may find that the first few times you take them, you get some stomach upset, but I haven't had a problem since the first few times I tried.

Just don't use them for the first time in a race is all I would advise.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
About 5 miles into IMF a couple of years ago, my legs started cramping big time. Other than that I felt fine. A woman saw me and offered a couple of her salt tablets. About a mile later the cramps went away. I had been drinking Gatorade and taken power gels as well. Now I use Thermotabs which I buy at Walgreens (I think). It's either that or scarf down potato chips during the race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just moved from Hawaii, where I did lots of endurance races for the past 8 years. Most triathletes there (especially athletes who race fairly close to their LT) take some kind of salt pill or supplement in hot humid races, be it generic salt pills mixed in their liquids, endurolytes, lava salts, or lots of pretzels. Failure to do so will inevitably result in bonking/cramping/Hyponatremia -- generally a miserable race. I have had the best success with endurolytes from E-caps (Hammer Gel). I've recently sampled a new gel called e-gel made by Crank Sports which contains all the electrolytes you need in the gel (and it tastes good!) but I'm not sure if they are available in most stores in the US yet.

A plug for my client code if you order Endurolytes from www.e-caps.com for a 15% discount on your first order -- use discount code 25832.

FIST Certified Fitter
Salt Lake City, Utah
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is some of the electrolyte replacement products I have chronicled in various Nutrition Reviews....

Electrolyte Replacement

Are you a heavy sweater? Do you find white crystals sitting upon the surface of your skin post workout? Do your eyes ever sting after finishing a long, sweaty workout? Are you prone to muscle cramping? Do you water down your sports drink? Are you primarily using energy gels for nourishment during training? If answered yes to any of the above questions, you may be at risk for an electrolyte imbalance, which can promote cramping, headaches, muscle fatigue, and poor performance. The following electrolyte supplements provide individual or a blend of essential electrolytes designed to help encourage euhydration and optimal muscle performance.

Elete Water

One of the more common nutritional downfalls seen among endurance athletes is inadequate replacement of electrolytes or overconsumption of water, especially when the mercury rises, which can lead to a significant decline in muscle function and potentially more serious health consequences, even death. Elete is a perfect solution for endurance athletes who constantly struggle with fluid and electrolyte balance. With each serving providing a balanced cocktail of sodium, chloride, potassium, and magnesium, Elete water offers a convenient method to ensure muscle hydration and optimal muscle function with its pre-measured rip pack for 24-32 ounce water bottles and 70-100 ounce hydration packs as well a multi-serving pocket pack. Furthermore, it is a perfect accompaniment to some of the sport foods lacking a full electrolyte profile. For more information, go to www.eletewater.com . COST: $0.99-$4.95.

NUUN Active Hydration

Have trouble handling your liquids? Are you looking for an easy way to replace electrolytes during training and competition without having to load on the weight of a sport drink? Or perhaps you use energy gels and are looking for an external electrolyte source to help stave off muscle cramps. Nuun Active Hydration have developed an unique solution for your muscle hydration needs. Unlike many of the electrolyte capsules that are on the market today, Nuun has formatted their ideal blend of sodium, potassium, magnesium, and calcium as a wafer, which, when blended with 8 ounces of water provides a hypotonic solution that is absorbed faster by the body than traditional sports drinks or plain water. An added bonus is that the wafer does not present a strong flavor so no need to gag down this replenishing electrolyte blend. For more information, go to www.nuun.com . COST: $7.50/16 tablets.

QPRO Rehydration

As a heavy and salty sweater and also one who tends not drink plain water well, I was thrilled to see a flavored electrolyte powder that I could add to my water bottles without leading to excessive calorie consumption. With only 30 calories per scoop and an electrolyte cocktail that includes sodium, potassium, and magnesium, Q-Pro Products Rehydration Formula is absorbed quickly to allow for optimal muscle hydration and peak muscle performance during endurance training. I not only have used Q-Pro in a mixture with water to hydrate during the day, but also have added it to electrolyte-lacking sports drink to help meet my extensive electrolyte losses during endurance training on hot days. Q-Pro’s Rehydration Formula comes in Lemon Lime (my favorite…reminds me of lemonade) and Grape flavors. For more information, go to www.qproproducts.com or call 1-800-495-1701. COST: $29.95/40 servings

Endurolytes

Inclusion of all the major electrolytes, including sodium chloride, potassium, calcium, and magnesium makes Endurolytes an ideal supplement for athletes training greater than an hour each day. Suggested usage will vary depending on an athlete’s individual sweat rate. Dosing patterns recommended by Endurolytes are 1-3 capsules in the 30-60 minutes prior to exercise, 1-6 capsules each hour during exercise, and 1-3 capsules after a workout. Note that each athlete can vary tremendously with regards to salt needs. For more information, go to www.e-caps.com or call 1-800-336-1977. COST $17.95/120 capsules

Thermolyte Buffered Sodium Supplement

For those of you who are salty sweaters, Thermolyte provides a balance of sodium, chloride, potassium, magnesium and calcium to help optimize muscle function and prevent performance drops secondary to muscle cramping. Recommended dose is 1capsule per 8-12 ounces of fluid or 4-6 caps per liter of fluid ingested. For more information, go to www.sportquestdirect.com or call 1-800-776-4363. COST $12.95/90 capsules

Healthy regards,

Kim Mueller-Brown, MS, RD

Sports Nutritionist

www.kbnutrition.com

Kim Mueller, MS, RD
Sports Nutritionist
http://www.kbnutrition.com
Last edited by: KimBrown: Mar 14, 05 12:53
Quote Reply
Re: Salt Tablets [KimBrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've experimented with ThermoTabs (primarily salt plus a little bit of potassium I think), Thermolytes and Endurolytes. I haven't been able to conclusively say that Thermolytes and Endurolytes are actually different in effect, but I reserve ThermoTabs (tons of salt) for extreme situations when I can feel I am dehydrated. One of those tablets and I can drink to a sloshing stomach...it'll be emptied in ten minutes max. With the heat and humidity down here in FL it's easy to misjudge your sweat rate. I have come home from the first of two or three 50 mile loops and found myself down 3 or 4 lb. Eat a banana, drink two or three glasses of water and a Thermotab and I'm fine within 10-20 mins. The nice thing about the Thermolyte/Endurolyte idea is that it has a good total profile, with all the electrolytes other than just salt and potassium. However, I do NOT use gatorade (it does horrible things to my stomach) and use mostly Gu gels. Because of this I don't get as much salt as someone who uses a drink mix.

After a couple of years of not using them, I can't imagine running even my standard 10 mile loop without one in the heat of the summer. I was very skeptical at first, but for me the difference is impressive.

Mad
Quote Reply
Re: Salt Tablets [reggiedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are right about that, but I welcome all of them. My problem is hyponatremia. I want to do a long triathlon but am worried about not getting enough salt in from my drinks. Too much water will flush out the sodium, which is not a good thing. I do dilute my drinks but not too much. Straight drink does not sit well on my stomach. I was planning on training with some before doing a race. All the information that was given is great, thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The key to all of this is using the right qtys. of fluid and supplements. Everyone is alittle bit different. First off taking just salt alone doesn't cut the mustard. You need sodium, calcium, magnesium and potassium in the proper ratios to work well. If you cramp at anytime you are short on electrolytes. It may happen while you are working out or with me it only happened in the middle of the night. Sever calf and archs in my feet type cramps. Several things to consider is if you are taking in to much fluid while working out and flushing your system of needed nutriants. Also those of you who take your sports drinks and dilute them because they upset your stomach and/or make your mouth so sticky and dry that you feel like you have cotton balls in your mouth ever ask why this happens??? What good does it do to dilute your drink that is suppose to have the sodium mix that your body needs???? Simple sugars are the main reason for GI problems. When you have to much sugar your guts take the bodys fluids to help digest. Read your labels and see what you are ingesting. E-caps Endurolytes have all the electrolytes in the proper ratios. One person may need more than the next but that is to be determined buy trial and error during training. Check out E-caps web site and read their book called The Endurance Athlete's Guide to Success. You can down load it or they will mail you a copy. It has more info about things you take for granted and/or think you might be well informed on. It has changed the way that I train as far as supplements and hydration. Happy reading.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use, and like, Lava Salts.

Some good points are brought up regarding the need for salt tabs, and whether it is real or not. If nothing else, I think it is good insurance. There are lots of people on this site who are very well-informed, and can tell you in detail every last thing they will eat or drink during a race. Then there are people who under-hydrate, or overhydrate, or whatever else they do.

The bottom line is that your body has a chemical balance that you have to maintain in order to function, and you have to replace what you lose as you exercise. This can be done with, or without, salt tablets.

Personally, I sweat a lot, and drink a lot of water, so I use Lava salts for anything over about 4 hours. It has not caused any problems. Whether it has helped is difficult to say. Like I said, though, it's cheap insurance.

------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Salt Tablets [G-man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
On long events I have used a product that is called Lavasalts. It is a buffered capsule that you can add to your drink bottle or just swallow. We get them at the Bike shop. I love going into General Nutrition and asking for them. Since salt is an essential ingredient of life you would think they would have it, but no. I have been told by at lesst 50 employees that it is too "dangerous" and they won't carry it. But it is ok to take Rip Fuel, PhenPhen, Androg, and Natural roids. Oh ok, my mistake. I guess I will have to go to any dining establishment in the mall and pick up some"black market" salt off the table. G

G,

The GNC at Ala Moana carries Lavasalt. I saw it just last week during the Gold Card days.

Aloha,

Larry
Quote Reply
Color Me Happy Larry [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is the store I have been pounding on for at least 7 years to get some. My prayers are answered. G
Quote Reply