Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Sagan's Wheelie on TT Bike [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've loved him since day one in the days of the podium girl ass pinch. The stories in his book/movie will be unreal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTfEaEwZsPU
Quote Reply
Re: Sagan's Wheelie on TT Bike [bretzky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bretzky wrote:
The stories in his book/movie will be unreal.

You can read the book now.

https://www.amazon.com/...Sagan/dp/1937715949/
Quote Reply
Re: Sagan's Wheelie on TT Bike [mgreer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Someone said he signed a signature for a fan, on a uphill section.... Did that happen?
Quote Reply
Re: Sagan's Wheelie on TT Bike [lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's no different than golf.

Everyone hates the successful party goer while in reality they hate themselves for being an unsuccessful stodgy member of the Velominati.
Quote Reply
Re: Sagan's Wheelie on TT Bike [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The peloton may hate (maybe resent is more appropriate ?) him for being good, but I’m not sure about his teammates. Saturday after the sprint point, he was on domestique duty going back to get bottles from the car for Buchmann. That’s not something a prima-donna is goin to do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mgreer wrote:
bretzky wrote:
The stories in his book/movie will be unreal.

You can read the book now.

https://www.amazon.com/...Sagan/dp/1937715949/

Anyone read this yet? Any good?

Too old to go pro but doing it anyway
http://instagram.com/tgarvey4
Quote Reply
Re: Sagan's Wheelie on TT Bike [MrRabbit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven’t read it, but the folks over at Podium Cafe did a review of it a while back. Personally, I always find it odd when there’s a biography published in the middle of someone’s career since it’s guaranteed to be incomplete.

https://www.podiumcafe.com/...d-peter-sagan-review
Quote Reply
Re: Sagan's Wheelie on TT Bike [MrRabbit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was very entertaining. Good read.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just saw the video of him signing the book for a fan mid-climb. As if I didn’t like the guy enough before

Matt
Last edited by: Chemist: Jul 23, 19 16:43
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hell, I even enjoyed the butt-pinching 'mini-scandal'... Sure it was crass and disrespectful to both the podium gal and the winner (Cancellara), but I kinda feel like that was a relatively small cost to pay in return for lighting a little spark to keep things from getting too stodgy. Obviously racing at that level is serious business both physically and commercially, but he keeps it fun too instead of acting like it's life & death all the time.

I can get why some other guys who are busting their asses might get a little chapped to watch him hot dog it and still beat most of them a lot of the time, but he honestly doesn't come across as being an asshole personally compared to guys like Lance who were often prickly and abrasive and kinda took delight in rubbing other guys noses in it when he beat them. Sagan genuinely appears to be enjoying the whole shtick of competing hard but not taking it so damn seriously outside the lines, and not doing it to throw shade at his competitors.
Quote Reply
Re: Sagan's Wheelie on TT Bike [OneGoodLeg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lots of highlights, but was also funny how in 2017 he looked like forest gump after running across America.. Standing on the podium with long hair and big beard and trucker cap with the shaved milk men

https://images.app.goo.gl/CPCgC8FiManQhG9Q6

Kind of the Faris of cycling
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mgreer wrote:
The peloton may hate (maybe resent is more appropriate ?) him for being good, but I’m not sure about his teammates. Saturday after the sprint point, he was on domestique duty going back to get bottles from the car for Buchmann. That’s not something a prima-donna is goin to do.

not the first time hes done that.

dude is a legit.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: Sagan's Wheelie on TT Bike [Durhamskier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Durhamskier wrote:
IT wrote:
trail wrote:
bretzky wrote:
Was interesting to hear George and Lance talk about how everyone loves Sagan except the professional peloton...pretty telling.

Ha, old men shaking fists and manufacturing commentator drama.

That could very well be. Good analysis.

I could see people in the peloton not be a fan of stuff like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zv97WNg6FMU

Personally, I love it

Using skill to get an advantage rather than just fitness and/or dope.
Those without his skill levels don't like it.

Some riders complained the same way at Chris Boardman when he would gain time DOWNHILL rather than just going upwards.
The Schlecks moaned in a similar manner in the Tour too a few years back (because they couldn't descend as well as some other guys).
Quote Reply
Re: Sagan's Wheelie on TT Bike [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Its fun but a big advantage... The others could bunny hop that for sure if they thought it wasnt going to be frowned on

riders should probably stick to the road as expected unless forced to for safety... Otherwise riders have to decide to bunny hop there every year...could be unsafe in peloton size groups... Or decide if they will ride over every and any roundabout instead of around... Gentlemans rules not tactical opportunism... What about taking a shortcut through a corner petrol station or street market like a benny hill clip? Hilarious but just not cricket
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
one thing about Sagan is he's really good at sports.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: Sagan's Wheelie on TT Bike [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BobAjobb wrote:
Durhamskier wrote:
IT wrote:
trail wrote:
bretzky wrote:
Was interesting to hear George and Lance talk about how everyone loves Sagan except the professional peloton...pretty telling.

Ha, old men shaking fists and manufacturing commentator drama.

That could very well be. Good analysis.

I could see people in the peloton not be a fan of stuff like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zv97WNg6FMU

Personally, I love it

Using skill to get an advantage rather than just fitness and/or dope.
Those without his skill levels don't like it.

Some riders complained the same way at Chris Boardman when he would gain time DOWNHILL rather than just going upwards.
The Schlecks moaned in a similar manner in the Tour too a few years back (because they couldn't descend as well as some other guys).

And then there was the front wheel wheelie by Abdoujaparov wearing the green jersey after bouncing off the coke can and magically putting his wheels in between the barrier legs in Paris

Quote Reply
Re: Sagan's Wheelie on TT Bike [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
Everyone hates the successful party goer while in reality they hate themselves for being an unsuccessful stodgy member of the Velominati.

"The reason music critics like Elvis Costello better than Van Halen is that music critics look like Elvis Costello" - David Lee Roth
"Rock critics love Van Halen and hate me because rock critics look like me but want to party with David Lee Roth." - Elvis Costello

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He did a "no hand" wheelie on Alpe d'Huez back in 2013 here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQCw7MaI-sU
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are a lot of things that pro athletes do that impress me. This isn’t one of them. I don’t even get why this is worthy of discussion? A wheelie??? Really???? Who cares.
Quote Reply
Re: Sagan's Wheelie on TT Bike [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I care. I don't see many other pro riders popping a wheelie. Makes me think that most of them can't do it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I saw the one-handed TT bike wheelie and the book signing and was impressed. But the most impressive thing Sagan has done this Tour spoke VOLUMES about his standing in the pro peloton . . .

I think it was Stage 17. It was a hilly stage and a super-size breakaway formed very quickly. Nonetheless, one of the smaller teams decided they should chase the big breakaway hard. For a long time, they kept the breakaway within a minute or two. Sagan rode to the front of the chasers and had a discussion with the leader on the team. Presumably, Sagan told him that they needed to back off and take it easy (since the Alps stages began with Stage 18). At any rate, within seconds, the pace of the peloton backed waaaaay down and the gap skyrocketed. Four minutes. Eight minutes. Twelve minutes. It was like magic.

They may not all like his antics (and, to be honest, they're wearing thin on me, too), but they respect him. Sagan is the Patron.
Quote Reply
Re: Sagan's Wheelie on TT Bike [FlashBazbo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There could be like a special category for "crowd favorite entertainer"

You get points from a judging panel based on showboating...the leaders jersey has vertical red snd white stripes like a big top tent

People could come up with lots of crowd pleasing stunts to fain the jurys favor
- drift skids down descents
- literally juggling drink bottles while closing the gap from team car to pack
- biking alp de huez with only one foot clipped in while doing the peace sign to fans
-calling girlfriend on cellphone 5km out to announce you are about to win the sprint
-slamming the brake to lift the back wheel as you cross over a roundabout doing a reverse wheelie
... Anything that excites the crowd but doesnt really have anything to do with actual bike racing

Bonus points for off course attention grabbers... podium shanagins, interview quotes, whacky hairstyles,
Last edited by: lacticturkey: Jul 26, 19 3:41
Quote Reply
Re: Sagan's Wheelie on TT Bike [bretzky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bretzky wrote:

Did they mention what the professional peloton thought about themselves?
Quote Reply
Re: Sagan's Wheelie on TT Bike [Justicebeaver] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Justicebeaver wrote:
I care. I don't see many other pro riders popping a wheelie. Makes me think that most of them can't do it.

Riiiiiiiight. Cause popping wheelies is very important in cycling so we should see them all the time.

Most anyone who had a bike in elementary or middle school could pop a wheelie and ride it for a little while. But pros who are on their bikes 5-8 hours a day can’t, that makes a lot of sense.

Sagan is an entertainer, he’s having fun. He can do this because he’s so damn good at sprinting, so the team gives him more leeway. If he wasn’t that good, the team would tell him to stop fing around. You earn your ability to do this stuff.

Look at any sport, you’ll rarely see the people who barely are on the team jacking around during events, they don’t want to give the team a reason to not play them. But the allstars do it all the time.
Quote Reply

Prev Next