Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Saddle position with Thomson Seatpost
Quote | Reply
I am using a thomson setback seatpost on my Felt F1r "road" geometry bike. I am getting it setup for the upcoming triathlon season. I use the seatpost in the "setforward" position and I am wondering how far to push the saddle forward on the rails. How far is too far? Should I measure angles and try to get an effective seattube angle of 78 degrees? I appreciate your tips/recommendations.
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle position with Thomson Seatpost [wolffan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If the top of your saddle is about 60 cm from the center of your bottom brackett, then sliding your saddle forward or rearward 1 cm is approximately (quite close) a 1 degree change in seat angle.

But the question is, what seat angle are you starting from? There seem to be more than one opinion on just how to measure this. But a good starting point is to find out from FELT what the seat tube angle is on the bike you are using and use that as a starting point.

Where would you want to swim ?
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle position with Thomson Seatpost [Greg/ORD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the reply Greg. I was able to get my Felt to a 76.5 effective seat angle. I think I will leave it like that because it is a good compromise between steep and slack. Coming from a year of road bike training, I don't feel comfortable going any steeper.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For a road bike a 75/76 "multisport" position is about as max as I'd go. The handling is too much compromised if any steeper. This chart might help. Have you also considered the "big slam" position?

http://www.slowtwitch.com/...ctr/anglefinder.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FWIW - My training bike is a Felt F1X (road wheels). Depending on the size frame you have, I'm betting our geo is similiar.

I'm making a educated guess that the Thomson set-forward would be WAY too far forward. Check the link above and determine effective angle from front of seat to BB.

I broke my Felt Carbon post and used a straight Thomson until a Thomson set-back arrived. Even in its farthest-back position withthe straight post, I was still riding around 77 degrees which drove me nuts on my "road" bike.

So...to make a long story short, I'm betting a Thomson straight post would get ya in the 78-81 degree position and the forward post is too much.

I'm aware that Felt's website says in a 73.5ish angle...it's doesn't appear to be that way. They must have assumed this angle using the Felt Carbon set-back post or something...

Anyone?
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle position with Thomson Seatpost [SupaFli] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, I did my best to measure the seat angle of my Felt F1r using measuring tape and trig. I didn't want to base the calculation off of my saddle nose position. All saddles have different lengths anyway. My calculations averaged around 74 degrees. Like SupFli said, the Felt website says 73.5. I have heard that the F1x has a steep angle. I don't know why it would be different than my F1r though. With my thomson setback seatpost in the forward position, I now measure a 76.5 degree seat angle to the center-top of the saddle.

Your carbon seatpost broke? I wanted a thomson post anyway, so I sold the carbon post when it was brand new. I guess I'm glad that I did.
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle position with Thomson Seatpost [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ride a Giant Areo with a 75 degree tube.I use the Thomson setback post in the forward position and the saddle all the way forward. I figure it to be about 78-79 degrees now. I have Syntace areo bars and bar end shifters and the bike handles like a dream. My set up is great with my elbow pads about 7 cm below my saddle.and all effective angles as discussed in Dan's article. I'm finally comfortable in the aero position for a couple of hours.

It's a Good life if you don't Weaken!
My Mom 1922-2004
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A very good choice to ditch the Felt post. It's hard to beat a Thomson.

In a nutshell, the post kept slipping (no silly people, it wasn't lubed) on long rides (fireroads...so certainly CX terrain). So, I tightend the clamp...not too tight, but certainly tigher than when it was slipping. Over the course of 2 weeks, the fiber started to crack up and down the post.

Felt reinbursed (via the shop) for a Thomson rather than send a new post, which was a nice vesture.....

Sounds like you have your angle all set up...congrats. I simply love my Fx1 as it rides like a dream..so, I sold my road bike
Quote Reply