Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Saddle help for prostate
Quote | Reply
I went to the doctor yesterday certain that I had a UTI. Instead he told me that I have a "pissed off prostate" from cycling.

• I'm riding a Cervelo P3X, almost constantly in the aerobars unless doing "intervals of death".
  • The saddle is the ISM PS 1.0 that I have been riding for several years.
  • I got the best bike fit I could find in the Houston area. The bike fit was a couple years ago, so no recent changes.

I searched the forum but didn't find any recent threads. It seems like people were recommending ISM saddles and BiSaddle and JOF 55.
  • Any recommendations on how to figure out what saddle is going to help a "pissed off prostate"?
  • I will check the LBS to see if anyone has a good saddle exchange program.
  • Do you think the bike fitter could change anything to make it better?

Quote Reply
Re: Saddle help for prostate [tomljones3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How are you sitting on that ISM saddle?
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle help for prostate [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
How are you sitting on that ISM saddle?

Hmm, not sure how to answer that one. I have not really thought about it, I just hop on and go.

I'm guessing that I get pretty far on front then slide a little back until I can feel the back of the saddle just touching my thighs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tomljones3 wrote:
I went to the doctor yesterday certain that I had a UTI. Instead he told me that I have a "pissed off prostate" from cycling.

• I'm riding a Cervelo P3X, almost constantly in the aerobars unless doing "intervals of death".
  • I got the best bike fit I could find in the Houston area. The bike fit was a couple years ago, so no recent changes.

I searched the forum but didn't find any recent threads. It seems like people were recommending ISM saddles and BiSaddle and JOF 55.
  • Any recommendations on how to figure out what saddle is going to help a "pissed off prostate"?

Always a tough process since saddles are so individual. If your ISM has worked in the past and you’ve had it 3-4 years you may want to consider getting a new one. Depends on volume over the years I guess.

No experience with the Bisaddle, but Cobb 55 seems to wear fairly quickly at the nose with the prong foam rolling to the outside. I think this would be detrimental for prostate irritation.

Dash saddles work great for some and do not have enough padding to break down much over time. If you can find one that works for you the solid perch without foam compressing into your taint may alleviate some of your prostate issues. I think Dash still has a reasonable try before buy program.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You might be sitting too far back.

I sit on the first inch of the nose.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd find a different doctor. That diagnosis doesn't sound right.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tomljones3 wrote:

I got diagnosed with PC in 2020 and had the surgery in June. My doc told me to find a good saddle with a gap but other research said find what is comfortable. I had been using a Cobb Max and shifted to a Cobb 55 on my Tri bike- got me through all the training and finishing IM Moo last Sept. I have a Bisaddle on my roadie- bought the combo pack and found I liked the noseless on my tri but the 55 was a tick better for me. The adjustability for that saddle is awesome from the width to the wedges.
Good luck

"There are no problems in life, just many leadership and learning opportunities." SED
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle help for prostate [TJ56] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TJ56 wrote:
I'd find a different doctor. That diagnosis doesn't sound right.

I have to agree.

Prostatitis, which is what I assume was his actual diagnosis, is not linked to cycling as far as I know.

Overreaching in your training would be more likely to cause a flare up than a saddle issue.

Seems antibiotics would be more effective than a saddle change.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don’t what symptoms you were having, but you may have just developed a case of prostatitis. Out of the blue, happened to me once before. Hated it. Very uncomfortable, and worst of all, made me have a lot of trouble taking a piss (to the point I was worried I might need a catheter if it continued). Took ten days of antibiotics, and stayed off the bike, and it went away. Never changed my saddle (Specialized Power) and have been riding trouble free since then (knock on wood).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very similar situation. The issue went away before my urologist appointment. I went anyway to be sure. FWIW I’m 65. After a digital exam she told me I have a slightly enlarged prostrate and she told me it was very common for male cyclist. She said no medication was needed and if the problem came back to sent an appointment. Another FWIW. When I had the issue it was before I retired from a very stressful job. I stopped working, the stress went away and the problem went away too. Been very happy since April 8th of this year.
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle help for prostate [Matt J] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've had a mild burning sensation when I pee for quite a while. General soreness in the perineum area. 90 minutes in the saddle is about all I can take.
  • Blood tests came back perfect. Literally the middle of every range.
  • Urinalysis had a +1 on esterase but no white blood cells and everything else perfect.
  • No other health conditions at all
  • The doctor is retirement age and has been a marathon runner his entire adult life. Has some experience with tri and cycling.

I have a good tri coach so over-reaching is not likely except I have been hitting the weights really hard the last 12 months. Very heavy (for me) squats and deadlifts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nose of the saddle is at the base of my nuts. I have mine at 8% tilt, which most will freak out about, but it works. Zero pressure on the soft tissue. I use a Fizik Mystica Large and I feel supported and stable in aero.

I ended up at 8% starting at 10% (9% UCI max +/- 1%) and worked backwards. Cycling efficiency has also been studied that performance on seated uphills was like +3% with 8% tilt.

As long as you're not sliding roll with it. As well make sure your seatpost isn't too high. Shoot for 1.05 to 1.09 multiplied by your inseam and measured from the top of the pedal in the downward position measured to top of saddle. I'm around 1.06 which is comfortable with my hips rotated forward in aero, even on my trainer for hours.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tomljones3 wrote:
I've had a mild burning sensation when I pee for quite a while. General soreness in the perineum area. 90 minutes in the saddle is about all I can take.
  • Blood tests came back perfect. Literally the middle of every range.
  • Urinalysis had a +1 on esterase but no white blood cells and everything else perfect.
  • No other health conditions at all
  • The doctor is retirement age and has been a marathon runner his entire adult life. Has some experience with tri and cycling.

I have a good tri coach so over-reaching is not likely except I have been hitting the weights really hard the last 12 months. Very heavy (for me) squats and deadlifts.

Docs aren’t very good at saying “we don’t know” and prostatitis is one of those things. Some cases don’t have signs of infection i.e. white blood cells in urine.

Stress is believed to be a major component. That’s why I mentioned training stress and overreaching. Also, a lot of docs are not real comfortable talking about how often you ejaculate, but several urologists I know believe it’s a factor. The advice I’ve been given is not too seldom or too frequently. At least weekly and not more than daily.

I don’t know that having a coach disqualifies you from too much volume. Some coaches still believe in a lot of volume possibly too much for some.

Any athlete I know I would give the same advice. Dial everything back significantly until you solve the problem.

Heavy weights alone are not a problem, but compounding Olympic lifting with cycling and running might be.
Quote Reply