Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

SWIM WORKOUT TO MIMIC START OF RACE
Quote | Reply
Anyone have suggestions for a good swim set to mimic the start of a race where you go hard for 300-500 yds to get on some fast feet and then settle into a more comfortable pace. Looking for something that trains you to go anaerobic (or close to it) long enough to stay with the strong swimmers you want to draft off without blowing up before the pace slows a bit.
Quote Reply
Re: SWIM WORKOUT TO MIMIC START OF RACE [jsmith] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have someone of the same ability jump in the pool 15 seconds before you and then try to catch him within 4 laps.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
10x100 at threshold pace - 10", 5" rest
5x500 at threshold pace

(threshold pace: race a 1000 time trial, all out. Divide your time by 10 to get your average pace per 100)

or mix them up would be very effective,

Do you really need to do this type of workout? I'm finishing a 1/2 IM swim in 32' - 30' with little effort and I never sprint. I would only work on this area if I was already so fast and efficient that I had nothing else to work on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do alot of fartlek swims. 25 fast, 25 slow (recovery speed), 50 fast, 50 slow, 75 fast, 75 slow, 100 fast, 100 slow, rest, repeat. I know this doesnt neccisarily mimic race start, but it does get you used to going out fast, slowing down, and maybe bridging to a faster group.

el
Quote Reply
Re: SWIM WORKOUT TO MIMIC START OF RACE [elund] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Friel has a workout like this in his book. The main set has a bunch (18?) of 200's. Each 200 consists of a sprint segment, a fast segment and a normal or recovery based segment. Obviously, one segment is 100 and the other two are 50's. The workout takes you through a logical progression starting with
100 normal
50 fast
50 sprint
---
50 norm
100 fast
50 sprint
---
50 norm
50 fast
100 sprint
---
100 sprint
50 norm
50 fast
---
etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Would depend on what distance you are racing, your ability and where you are in your training. Assuming you are above average, going long (1/2 IM or greater) and in build period, I like either a) 5 x 400 (200 hard/100 cruise/100 easy) or b) 4 x 500 (200 hard/200 cruise/100 easy). Both tough main sets unless you are true fishie.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One of the last things I do in my swim workout is decending intervals. Based on a 45 sec 50 yd repeat, I'll swim 200, 150, 100, & 50, then repeat (as many times as you want/need). So, start the clock, swim 200. At 3:00 start the 150. At 5:15, start the 100. At 6:45, start the 50. At 7:30, start your next 200. (Adjust interval to suit your speed.) That second 200 should be about how you feel after the initial sprint to the buoy. It's important to concentrate on form while pulling strong.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the best way to do it would be a hard 300 in a long course, with five of you in one lane starting at the same time, constantly kicking the crap out of each other for position.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Clif Bar has a video training plan right here.

http://cmac.smugmug.com/...9/23569-Original.mpg

Good luck

Dave
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For Sprint Race of 500-700 swim - Good warm up THEN 5x50m going 95-100% @ :05 rest THEN 250m @ "perceived Race pace" THEN 100-200 EZ - Repeat as tolerated.

For Olympic Distance of 1500m - Good warm up THEN 5x50 going 95-100% @ :05 rest THEN 5x100 @ "race pace +" @ :10 rest THEN 500 at "perceived race pace" @ :15-:20 rest THEN 1x250 at "perceived race pace"

For Long Course - Good warm up THEN - 4-6 x 500 meters with first 200 @ faster than perceived race pace then "settle" to perceived race pace. Rest = :15-:30

-------------------------
Dave Latourette
http://www.TTENation.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about Karate sparring?

Everbody looks good at the starting line.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
4x200 no warm up on :20 rest.

Then 500 at race pace.

Rest 1' then 6x200 at race pace with :20 rest.

100 cd.

Mike Ricci
2017 USAT World Team Coach
USAT National Coach of the Year
Coaching Triathletes since 1992.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Play hole check in a game of waterpolo...

"which is like watching one of your buddies announce that he's quitting booze and cigarettes, switching to a Vegan diet and training for triathalons ... but he's going to keep snorting heroin." Bill Simmons, ESPN
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to belong to a masters club that put 5 of us in one lane for 100 intervals. We'd all start at the same time and fight for position. It was fun. You didn't want to get to the first turn first, as you'd get clobbered coming off the wall unless you went deep (not enough air down there). We stopped doing that when we started showing up at work bruised.

Rocketboy
Quote Reply
Re: SWIM WORKOUT TO MIMIC START OF RACE [Yarf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you play on my team, you play point, and then turn the ball over...alot (like me). If you get down the other end first, you get to be D-hole!

Actually an idea that seemed to work for some swimmers I trained with this past year:

a set of 3 x 600yards broken as such:

1 x 100 all out free, no holding back (adjust the sendoff so that you get no more than 10 seconds rest after a very hard 90-100% effort) I held 1:01-1:03 so the send off was 1:10

2 x 200 on race pace. (again, adjust sendoff so that you get 5-10 seconds rest) I was shooting for 1:17-1:18/100yards, (I was training for IMF) I was able to hold 2:32-2:35 with an RPE of 6-7/10, send off of 2:40. Initially I went by RPE, and it took a couple of weeks to get the sendoff down to 2:40, I think we started out at 3:00.

2 x 50 all out, attempt to hold the same pace as the first 100. Take the 100 sendoff and halve it. I usually did these on :35.

Rest 2:00 and repeat

The middle part of the set was Ironman race pace for me, but you can insert any race pace you feel like.

You can change the distances for any part of the set, it doesn't have to be 600 broken, it could be 300 or 800, whatever floats your boat.

The all out pace in the first part of the repeat made the 80% I took it out in the raceday swim seem pretty managable for a couple of minutes. Now all I need to work on is swimming a straight line...

"Maybe you should just run faster..." TM
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to do a broken 1000m farily regularly when I was doing a lot of sprint and Olympic distance racing (I'll be resurrecting this one again for next season!).

400m all out sprint (I actually set my 400m pb at the beginning of this set) - 40 second rest

300m at race pace - 30 second rest

200m at race pace - 20 second rest

100m all out sprint
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Other thread just reminded me of the virtues of water polo when it comes to getting you ready for open water swim racing. Lots of short bursts of speed, lots of bumping and jostling, lots of manouvering quickly in the water. If you've got 10-12 people, you just need a ball, and you can improvise a goal from a lifeguard's pole placed over two chairs placed about 8 feet apart.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1000 assorted warm up

4(5*50 at 95% (ideally 5 sec rest) i go on 40, 5*100 at 85% - 5-10 sec rest (i go on 1.30's) 1 min rest btwn sets)

500 cool down

4500 m total

basic, crude, hurting.. but it works
Quote Reply