Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: SRAM red eTAP [TH3_FRB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TH3_FRB wrote:
xtrpickels wrote:

This is your ask:
Shop, spend your money on the complete set of items, but I'm only going to pay you for a couple annndd that might not be enough to cover your cost. Then, I know that money is tight but go ahead and sit on those extra items until you can sell them. Discount them if you have to. Watch your profit blow away in the wind.

I think you're being silly.

You think I'm being silly for asking them to do something I've heard other shops doing? You are do titled to your opinion I suppose. It doesn't hurt to ask and it's completely up to them to do it or not. It just depends on how important it us to earn themselves a new customer. I've never made a big purchase here before but I was clear that I wanted to try to support the local business, which us why I was willing to hand over $300 for a deposit and let them try to get me the product with no firm timeline. I've held out hope and been patient for several months. I respect their business decision but it's time for me to move on.

Wait....so in addition to the scenario xtrpickels outlined above (which is completely correct), you've never bought anything "big" form the shop before? As a rule in general, shops will do "favors" or go shuffle things around a bit for their better customers, not so much usually for a guy who just walks in off the street.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM red eTAP [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:

Wait....so in addition to the scenario xtrpickels outlined above (which is completely correct), you've never bought anything "big" form the shop before? As a rule in general, shops will do "favors" or go shuffle things around a bit for their better customers, not so much usually for a guy who just walks in off the street.

It's a bit of a unique situation around here right now. The only dedicated triathlon shop just closed so there are a bunch of potential customers without homes in a sense. The owner knows this and has made it clear he hopes to help fill the void and support us. So I'm doing my best to let him earn my business - there are 3 other LBS I could just as easily frequent. I didn't demand anything nor necessarily expect special treatment. I asked if they would be willing to split a full kit and sell me part of it because I've heard of it being done. It's not as if he would throw the rest away. Anyway, I understand they had to weight the cost/benefit. But to your point - I kind of see it from the other side. I need a reason to bring my business to shop A vs shop B or online. Isn't personal customer service supposed to be the big reason for supporting local businesses? Like I said - I certainly don't hold it against them personally but they also didn't give me a reason to come back and try again next time I want to spend $1500. I may as well just order online.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I dont know if its the same in the US but here in the UK for a retailer to currently stock aero etap they have to signup to also purchase a set of Vuka aero @ $700 as well as full groupset including brakes,chainset,cassette and chain and people expect a retailer to sell them just a transmission kit and hold the other $2000+ of gear as stock?
For the road group we have to purchase a quarq as well as a set of zipp bars,zipp stem and zipp seatpost and the rest of the groupset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TH3_FRB wrote:
Power13 wrote:

It's a bit of a unique situation around here right now. The only dedicated triathlon shop just closed so there are a bunch of potential customers without homes in a sense. The owner knows this and has made it clear he hopes to help fill the void and support us. So I'm doing my best to let him earn my business - there are 3 other LBS I could just as easily frequent. I didn't demand anything nor necessarily expect special treatment. I asked if they would be willing to split a full kit and sell me part of it because I've heard of it being done. It's not as if he would throw the rest away. Anyway, I understand they had to weight the cost/benefit. But to your point - I kind of see it from the other side. I need a reason to bring my business to shop A vs shop B or online. Isn't personal customer service supposed to be the big reason for supporting local businesses? Like I said - I certainly don't hold it against them personally but they also didn't give me a reason to come back and try again next time I want to spend $1500. I may as well just order online.

So why aren't you willing to buy the whole kit and sell off what YOU don't want / need? Why does your LBS have to shoulder that burden?

"Personal customer service" does not mean bowing to the whim and wish of every person who walks through the door. Somethings are just not economically feasible for shops.

And yeah, if you are now taking the "I'm not giving them my business now" approach, you are, in fact, taking it personally.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM red eTAP [neilridley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
neilridley wrote:
I dont know if its the same in the US but here in the UK for a retailer to currently stock aero etap they have to signup to also purchase a set of Vuka aero @ $700 as well as full groupset including brakes,chainset,cassette and chain and people expect a retailer to sell them just a transmission kit and hold the other $2000+ of gear as stock?
For the road group we have to purchase a quarq as well as a set of zipp bars,zipp stem and zipp seatpost and the rest of the groupset

I got tired of waiting and ordered Shimano Di2 instead. Sorry SRAM. I wanted to give you my money. I tried... several times. Shimano has better button mapping options anyway.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:

And yeah, if you are now taking the "I'm not giving them my business now" approach, you are, in fact, taking it personally.

Nope - all I'm saying is that given 4 local options plus online I have no specific reason to patronize this particular shop over any other. I'm not going to actively avoid them. But I have no reason to become a loyal customer either.

Anyway, it's not helping anyone to bicker about a difference of opinions on this thread.
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM red eTAP [tttiltheend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you really wanted to, you could put a bridge between the aerobars and put the junction box there. All of the shifting can be done from it. You'd forego shifting on the bull-horns, but it'd be cool to have complete wireless, especially on a flat course where most of it is ridden on the big ring.
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM red eTAP [AndresLD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The blob box has shift buttons?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh damn, that's a great idea. Can still run 2x blips to/from the cowhorns if someone really wants or needs to shift from that position. Only potential issue I can see is the size and position of the buttons on the BlipBox.

Kinda like that Syntace mount for 2x downtube shifters that was sold for their C2 bars back in the day.
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM red eTAP [Cafe Lactate] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So the +/- on the blip box function as shift buttons?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, you can shift from the junction box/blip box.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My time trial etap groupset arrived today. First baby also born this week so dunno when it'll get installed but anyone have ideas where to place blip box on a P5?

I was very surprised how quickly etap arrived (well and the baby arrived a little early as well)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello AndresLD and All,

Could I just put only my blip box in my hand (no leads or blips) and shift? ... perhaps attached to a glove or something custom .....

If so that is what I plan to do with my new eTap when installed.

That is my idea of wireless shifting until we have a brain implant ..... or maybe an eye blinks or an eye winks controller via Garmin Varia ..... left eye wink upshift ..... right eye wink down shift ...... close your eyes to change chain rings [CRASH] ... just kidding ..... closing both eyes for a fraction of a second is not likely to cause a crash.

Simpler, lighter, more aero, ..... WhoooHoooooo!

Well until auto shifting matures ........ hoping my eTap version will be compatible without buying the newer version ....

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM red eTAP [Jnags7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have about a month on my set, on my P-5. I love it. I bout a stem cap computer mount and put the blip box there. It's tucked in behind my BTA bottle and is still accessible. Racing it for the first time Sunday, so I'll see if I still love it on Monday.
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM red eTAP [stxtridad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Aduro bars? Did you just keep that 4-bolt cap off so you have access to the stem cap? I do agree behind the BTA seems most likely. I wonder if it'll fit inside the aduro stem. But think SRAM doesn't recommend internal installation and kinda a pita to access. I'd like to mount where is actually get functionality out of the blip box buttons as well. Perhaps inside the bento box.

Keep me posted on how it works out for the race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i was thinking on the stem cover behind the bottle
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM red eTAP [stxtridad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stxtridad wrote:
Racing it for the first time Sunday, so I'll see if I still love it on Monday.

I raced today in mine, today. Loved it. Dual shifting is the bomb and the F1 shifting patern is crystal clear.

Cautionary tale, I suggest you have these setups checked by an eTap-experienced mech . My local fitter/coach helped me setup the set. He was great, but we didn't get it quite right.

I dropped the chain on FD shifts 3 times during the race. After the race IO Sports sorted it out. Turns out the FD was a little askew, trim was a little off, and the chain was a link tight.

Still, it was a pleasure.

"If everything seems in control, you aren't going fast enough" -- Mario Andretti
Last edited by: etapaero: May 2, 16 16:33
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM red eTAP [R2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have mine mounted to the stem cover via a very small hole drilled and then mounted with a bolt. The cables come out of the stem box via the hole which fits the 4 cables perfectly. I can shift from the pads if I am climbing and sitting up so there are three positions to shift from. I love the system and will upgrade my road bike in the fall.

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM red eTAP [CPT Chaos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
so effectively you bolted garmin quarter mount to the cap ? or bolted the blip box directly - can you post a photo? thanks a lot
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM red eTAP [CPT Chaos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you guys all buying full kits with cranks and brakes?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been waiting to see if it will fit inside the stem of the P-5 before pulling the trigger on a TT set. Hopefully someone will try it out and post pics.
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM red eTAP [Orbilius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Will let you know later today.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes which for me isnt a problem as its going onto the wife's frame as part of her upgrade.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TH3_FRB wrote:
Are you guys all buying full kits with cranks and brakes?

I would have if they had a GXP version available, but all that was available on the day was the aero kit (blips, blip box, derailleurs, and, for some odd reason, brake cables).

"If everything seems in control, you aren't going fast enough" -- Mario Andretti
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM red eTAP [Orbilius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I tried to place mine inside yesterday and there was not enough room for it to fit.

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply

Prev Next