Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

SOS - Bike Question
Quote | Reply
I'm preparing for SOS (9/9/07) and have a few questions...

1. Should I use a road bike or tri bike? How does the hill in the last 5 miles compare to ... say, the "three bears" at LP?

2. They say the water temp will be ~68 degrees, but "be prepared to use a wetsuit". To me 68 is bearable without a wetsuit. Historically, is that temp. prediction accurate?

3. Where did you stay? The host hotel is generous to give a 10% discount on room rates...the problem is the cheapest room is $350/nite with a 2-nite minimum. Ouch!

My training is going well so far and the logistical things I worried about were not a problem during my July 4th simulation. Does anyone have any words of wisdom they can share from their experiences with training or on race day?

Thanks!
Kathy
Quote Reply
Re: SOS - Bike Question [TriKat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Only 5 of the 30 miles are the climb, and its mostly a shallow grade, so use your tri bike, especially if that's what you're accustomed to. Of more concern on the bike is the hard descent at about 7 miles in. When you see people saying "slow down" at that point, SLOW DOWN. After that, it's all safely non-technical.

The lakes are traditionally cold, and the temperature can change drastically in the week leading up to the race due to rain, if any, so its hard to say what the temp will be. However, a wetsuit is impractical. Like everyone else, you'll have to gut out the cold, and be prepared for serious leg cramps, especially after the first swim, when you try to stand up and exit the swim. Everyone cramps.

Take time to enjoy the views on the course.

Find a cheaper room in New Paltz.

Good luck!

2015 American Zofingen Du is May 17.
R.I.P. Chris Gleason
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you would be fine on either bike. The climb at the end is not that difficult, but the scenery is great. I thought the lakes were really, really cold. During the first swim, 15-minutes in I remember thinking I was not going to make it to the other side because I was so cold. I tried swimming harder, but still could not get warm. After each swim, I came out of the water in full body shakes and it felt like the lubrication in my knees was frozen when I ran. After about a mile of each run, I started to warm up. But I think it would be a big pain to lug around a wetsuit and take it on off, so you are still better off being cold. I think if I was doing the race again this year I might wear a thicker shirt. Other people told me they did not think it was so cold, so maybe I am just extra sensitive to the cold. Despite the cold swims, its a really fun race. I stayed at a Motel 6 in New Paltz near the highway for 1 night for less than $100; it was fine.
Quote Reply
Re: SOS - Bike Question [tetsuoni] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what i want for SoS this year, but probably will not be able to make or find, are thigh-high wetsuit bottoms. some method of getting them on and off really quickly, but that provides lots of leg compression. i wore a wetsuit (like most other people) on the Bike-Swim-Run olympic distance part of the TripleT and i am certain that the muscle compression of the suit helps with leg cramping. i don't think it would actually stop cramping on SoS, but it might reduce it to a minimal level, one that would go away very quickly on exiting from the water. if it did that, i think it would be worth carrying them on the run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1) either will be fine, but keep in mind that you've got 25 miles of pretty smooth TT-able riding before the hill climb, and only 5 miles of moderately hard climbing.
2) it can be colder than that, but lets put it this way: hardly anybody uses a wetsuit, ever. everyone i've spoken to who used one has regretted it.
3) the 73 Motel in New Paltz is very cheap and for my purposes, entirely adequate for a few hours pre-race napping. just don't take my room!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1) I used a tribike and would again. The climb is steeper than LP but much shorter.
2) The whole point of the race is to be tough so screw wetsuits. Who wants to carry it anyway.
3) I stayed in a B&B, there are plenty in the area.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think its whatever you are more comfortable on. Most of the course is suited for a tri bike, so that is what I will be riding. However, Am Zof has road bike written all over it for me!
I don't cramp that much in the swims, I get cold, but not hypothermic. Body fat is your friend for this race.
My problem is I don't get enough calories in through the race and I get tired on that last run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went to school in New Paltz and you can def find cheaper rooms than 350/night. There are cheap hotels like the Super 8, and Econo Lodge, but there are also some good Bed and Breakfasts in the area. Most of them are near the Vineyards. That might be the same weekend as "The Taste of New Paltz" at the fair grounds. Def hit that up for some good grub and a few cold ones. Its cheap too.

Matt
Race-Ready Endurance Training
Team BIKEWAY.com
NYPD Racing
Quote Reply
Re: SOS - Bike Question [dawhead] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dawhead, check out the DeSoto T1 Speed Tube. Could be perfect for SOS.

2015 American Zofingen Du is May 17.
R.I.P. Chris Gleason
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I ever get the chance to do SOS or AZ, I'd try this place:

http://www.hungryghostguesthouse.com/

Someone mentioned it once here, and it looks interesting.

Dan DeMaio
---------------------------------------------------------
Life is like riding a bicycle.
To keep your balance you must keep moving.
- Albert Einstein
Quote Reply
Re: SOS - Bike Question [tryemdad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know Mike & Petra. They used to train with Tarp before they moved up there to open their B&B. I have another friend who keeps in regular touch with them & has stayed at their place. I think we'll check it out!

Thanks!
KC
Quote Reply
Re: SOS - Bike Question [tetsuoni] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Thigh high" seems more like he was thinking of cutting the legs off a wetsuit and having 2 legwarmers to wear. That way you get calf compression too. I could have misread that though.

I was debating the speedtube, but it's my calves I'm more worried about cramping so it seems like the extra help in the swim wouldn't be worth lugging the wetsuit shorts.
Quote Reply
Re: SOS - Bike Question [dawhead] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
patagonia used to make neoprene "bike shorts" for paddling. Look around for some of those online or ebay.

Dan
http://www.aiatriathlon.com

http://www.aiatriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: SOS - Bike Question [one_lap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
precisely. i was thinking of ankle-to-midquad coverage. i haven't thought about the effects on body positioning, but finding something to keep the calves+quads nicely compressed and slightly warmer, yet still easy on-off would be a godsend for this race.

tetsuoni: the speed tube is nice, but even that doesn't go as far as at least one available wetsuit pant. i saw someone at the Triple T with wetsuit pants that were zippered/velcroed down the side of both legs. i asked someone else about them and there was a brand name, but i don't recall what it was.
Quote Reply