Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
SLOWMAN - PLEASE READ -STer's please respond if you feel the same way
Quote | Reply
Dan

We understand and appreciate that you keep a fairly open mind on what gets discussed in here - and things lately OT have been moved over to the Lavender Room - which is great.

I have a suggestion - which may assist you somewhat in ensuring thread content and topic is suited to, relevant and even legal, on Slowtwitch.

The latest ranting of Heavy D - which is not only damaging to those indicated (whether there is any substance or not to his claims), it is damaging to him both on a personal, financial and possibly physical damage level (for which he has no one to blame but himself) - but also importantly - it is damaging to the continuance and good standing that this forum has globally, within the tri world.

Would you be open to consideration - of a couple of handpicked (by you) ST'ers - that you feel you could rely upon their judgment - to have some ability to delete or remove threads - that you may not otherwise see due to being away from the web for any reason?

They would be your "quasi-police" and a policy could be developed between you and them - but it would decrease the chances of this type of insanity going un-checked for any period of time.

We all take for granted that this forum exists - and one incident can bring the entire thing down - more importantly - apart from people getting hurt, the reputation of ST will be damaged - just lok at the dramas from TNO.

Dan - it is your name associated with the forum - you have countless ST'ers that would be appropriate to assist you - you know who they are. None of us want your creation here to become anything other than what it is - a tri forum which is enjoyed by tens of thousands of people.

What do you think?
Last edited by: AndrewJ: Dec 10, 05 11:57
Quote Reply
Re: SLOWMAN - PLEASE READ [AndrewJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think this has merit.

I nominate myself to have the power to delete threads.

----------------------------------------------------
Striving to have sex more than 66 times per year
Quote Reply
Re: SLOWMAN - PLEASE READ [AndrewJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I second Andrew J's concept, subject to Dan's review and approval.

A forum by the people and for the people. Good idea Andrew J.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: SLOWMAN - PLEASE READ [Erik Clark] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I nominate Hazen.
Quote Reply
Re: SLOWMAN - PLEASE READ [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Tom

There is too much good in here - to let crap like this negatively impact everyone.

Welcome home - hope the break was restful!
Quote Reply
Re: SLOWMAN - PLEASE READ [johnthesavage] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yes, he would be good :-)

then I would be banned from ST also.

----------------------------------------------------
Striving to have sex more than 66 times per year
Quote Reply
Re: SLOWMAN - PLEASE READ -STer's please respond if you feel the same way [AndrewJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrew--Are you referring to your Happy Birthday Kittycat thread, or your Bunny movie thread?
Quote Reply
Re: SLOWMAN - PLEASE READ -STer's please respond if you feel the same way [Monk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bunny video

yes - it should have gone into the Lavender Room

Kittycats birthday wish - well - that's marginal - she's a celebrity here on ST and is a contributor on a lot of levels.

Not saying that every post I have made should have stayed on the front page - but mine have been completely mild by comparison - in terms of the OT- and importantly - never slanderous
Quote Reply
Re: SLOWMAN - PLEASE READ -STer's please respond if you feel the same way [AndrewJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
agreed
Quote Reply
Re: SLOWMAN - PLEASE READ -STer's please respond if you feel the same way [Monk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oooops.... LOL...

-
"Yeah, no one likes a smartass, but we all like stars" - Thom Yorke

smartasscoach.tri-oeiras.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That was the idea behind the "Move to Lavender Room" button I suggested in this post:

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...der%20button;#648772

Your variation of having it restricted to a core group would keep that idea from being abused.
Quote Reply
Re: SLOWMAN - PLEASE READ -STer's please respond if you feel the same way [Brent F] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
same desired result - hopefully Dan can look into it
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dan?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think this is neccessary and I really hope it doesn't happen. No need to overreact. We don't need to create a police state around here.

I'm sure Dan will pull the thread or send it to the Lavender room once he sees it, but even if he doesn't, those who don't want to be involved with that kind of crap will just avoid the thread. Very simple. We're all adults here, we can handle it.
Quote Reply
Re: SLOWMAN - PLEASE READ -STer's please respond if you feel the same way [jaylew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it is sad but I think that the rules of the forum get broken and abused and sadly too little happens - maybe this is a chance for Dan to swing the axe (deservedly) and eliminate an ST'er
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
m
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
it is sad but I think that the rules of the forum get broken and abused and sadly too little happens - maybe this is a chance for Dan to swing the axe (deservedly) and eliminate an ST'er
Well if he decides to do that, that's his right. I just don't think it's necessary to appoint Slowtwitch Police - unless I'm one of them of course ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: SLOWMAN - PLEASE READ -STer's please respond if you feel the same way [jaylew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hilarious
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's fairly obvious that the people that continue to post OT stuff in the main forum will continue to do so because THEY want it HERE and don't give a poop what Dan (the owner) or anyone else says about it. The OT stuff is increasingly 'character assassinations' which may, at some point, come with some consequences.

It's hard to believe, but grown adults are going to have to be "forced" to follow one simple forum rule. The owner of the site has said something and the posters have said "we don't like that or agree with it, so we're going to do what we want".

I'm thinking ... if I am Dan ... and I have a business to run, decisions to make, a life to live, do I really want to even worry about monitoring adult behavior and conversation on a website? Why? Do I even want to go to the trouble of setting up "Jedi" to watch the site for me? Wouldn't I rather just be done with it and focus on what I enjoy doing?

Every forum I have ever been to has either been a model of entrophy (steady decline to disorder) or too much admin. The process is cyclical, new site get's started and is awesome, and is soon over-run by trolls, trouble-makers, bitchers, whiners, complainers, and similar negative personas. Someone gets frustrated, starts their own forum, process repeats ... or the alternative is to run a site that features 3 people talking on topic about the same four topics with never a curse word or a semi-complain, and absolutely never anything that might be construed as a quasi-insult to anyone else in the world, etc (okay, I exaggerate a tad).

If I'm Dan, I cut the forum loose. I still have a business, website, articles, etc that I can use to express my thoughts. I don't need the hassle of monitoring adult behavior and conversation. I also don't need the hassle of setting up "Jedi" to do it for me.

At some points, forums become more hassle (negative) than they are worth (positive) and need cut loose.

The triathlon world will not die w/o the ST forum, and the die-hards will eventually find somewhere else to spend their days. Honestly, after a week, some will realize how much time they've wasted having the same conversations about topics they have no influence over and be thankful it's gone.

=======================
-- Every morning brings opportunity;
Each evening offers judgement. --
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is a good plan which works for me too.
Quote Reply
Re: SLOWMAN - PLEASE READ -STer's please respond if you feel the same way [ajfranke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DUDE YOU FREAKIN STOLE MY IDEA!!!

OT Police Now Recruiting Edit | Delete | Quote | Reply
With the off season upon us, more and more OT threads are springing up in the Triathlon Forum. To combat this mad outbreak I think that we need to call up a OT Police { I, Aerojunkie2 will lead, if no one has any objections } and find and label all OT threads. Submit your interests in joining this fine team to me on this thread.

--------------------------------------------

No, I'm not Normann Stadler and am not selling his bike, so stop asking.
Quote Reply
Re: SLOWMAN - PLEASE READ -STer's please respond if you feel the same way [aerojunkie2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know about all of that, but I notice that the 'Hateful Thread' thread has already went bye-bye, maybe. Was it my observation (with explicit examples of the swear words typically used over there?) that the Lavender Room is where all of that stuff needs to go?

T.
Quote Reply
Re: SLOWMAN - PLEASE READ -STer's please respond if you feel the same way [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
---the Lavender Room is where all of that stuff needs to go?---

Is that not where you spend all your time anyway? Is that why you ant it to move there?
Quote Reply
Re: SLOWMAN - PLEASE READ -STer's please respond if you feel the same way [Ben Zona] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I really don't care one way or the other where it goes, I just made the observation that one of the threads over here may have already bitten the dust. I went back over there, and it's not present in that forum, either, so I'm already wrong about that.

I like both forums equally. Sometimes, especially after an especially heated debate over there about some inane topic or another, I prefer to spend more time here. And vice-versa. After all, one can only talk so much about resting heartrates and bike frame geometries before going batty. The same goes for the endless discussions about George Bush and all that other dreck over there, too.

Tony
Quote Reply
Re: SLOWMAN - PLEASE READ -STer's please respond if you feel the same way [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I feel the same.
Quote Reply

Prev Next