Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: SLOWMAN - PLEASE READ -STer's please respond if you feel the same way [AndrewJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Obviously it was a total lame move to call out two people of infidelity on a public board - true or not, nobody cares. But when you air out your entire social life on a public internet board and someone is having a bad day, or maybe is a bit tweaked in the head, these things eventually happen.

And to all the people through time who have posted threads here requesting the need for people to post their name when registering here - this is exactly why I keep my name and private life to myself: too many mentally unbalanced individuals out there ready to try and screw with your life from time to time.
Quote Reply
Re: SLOWMAN - PLEASE READ -STer's please respond if you feel the same way [AndrewJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i think that this rant "against other peoples rants" also belongs in the lavendar room, no?

in any case, i completely disagree with you. mr. heavy d may be off on a tear, but, boy, people sure are interested in reading his post and responding, thereby keeping it popular and high up on page 1. just look at the no. of views!

if people here REALLY wanted something to go away, they could easily collectively make it happen. we ALL have the power to censor anything here: it is called, "don't respond".

i don't want anyone censoring things for me. i can learn to switch the TV channel myself, i sure don't need any self-appointed "big brothers" to do it for me.

relax. people say all kinds of smart, dumb, kind, mean, etc. things here and everywhere else. put some of your energy into alleviating the true suffering in the world. the electrons here feel no pain, last i heard.

Where would you want to swim ?
Quote Reply
Re: SLOWMAN - PLEASE READ -STer's please respond if you feel the same way [Greg X] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GregX--There are some legal issues in sponsoring libel that are relevant to the forum operator, even if you are enjoying the show.
Quote Reply
Re: SLOWMAN - PLEASE READ -STer's please respond if you feel the same way [Monk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're right, Monkmeister. A forum operator can take a big hit, if it got that far. I don't know about an active ST forum participant being enlisted to become a thought policeman, though. And I don't think Dan wants to spend the $ putting someone here to babysit us adults. This might really be a Hobson's Choice for Danno!

T.
Quote Reply
Re: SLOWMAN - PLEASE READ -STer's please respond if you feel the same way [Greg X] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 I don't want anyone censoring things for me

Normally I would agree with you, and about 30 minutes ago was about to post just that. However, a line is crossed when name-calling and innuendo turns into out and out accusations of illicit behavior. That is plain wrong no matter what the venue.

It certainly has no place in this forum. A little bit of censorship along those lines bothers me not in the least. I've faith in the powers that be (in this case, a singular "power") to not turn this forum into a new chapter of Farenheit 451.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"hey would be your "quasi-police" and a policy could be developed between you and them - but it would decrease the chances of this type of insanity going un-checked for any period of time."

Great idea! Would these STers get uniforms? Maybe black ones, with knee high leather boots. And a nifty insignia. A special salute? We could call them the "Special STers." SS for short!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have to respectfully disagree.

With your proposal, who polices the police? The best form of policing is self censorship. There are people on this board(Lavendar room) that I simply do not respond to.

It is Dan's board and Dan alone should be responsible for what is not allowed. If you want to police a board, start your own and set your own rules.
Last edited by: Barrio: Dec 10, 05 13:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have an online bodyboarding forum on my website with nearl 1,500 users, and I just couldn't keep up with all the posts myself, so I made 3 of the forum regulars into moderators who have the power to delete and move posts. I give them a discount on purchases on my site, and so far it's worked out really well!

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Self appointing?

I have no intention of getting involved in this - you completely misread my post - if Dan even asked me - not that he ever would - I would have no interest in it - I'm not into censorship - but this whole Heavy D thing is an example of just what is wrong with forums.

you are right - people sure are interested anc keep commenting - hence keeping it alive - maybe it's because they have no scandal in their lives and wish to focus on someone else's.

the nature of this foum will guarantee that if another post such as that was made - people would do the exact same thing - just like the media - focus on it and milk it until it is boring - but the journey from discovery to boredom is damaging for some.

you don't have to agree - I respect your opinion also
Quote Reply
Re: SLOWMAN - PLEASE READ -STer's please respond if you feel the same way [jaylew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply][reply]
it is sad but I think that the rules of the forum get broken and abused and sadly too little happens - maybe this is a chance for Dan to swing the axe (deservedly) and eliminate an ST'er [/reply]
[#0000ff]Well if he decides to do that, that's his right. I just don't think it's necessary to appoint Slowtwitch Police - unless I'm one of them of course ;-)[/#0000ff][/reply]

I agree with Jaylew.
And I will be his assistant. ;-)

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: SLOWMAN - PLEASE READ -STer's please respond if you feel the same way [Frank13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
>>Would these STers get uniforms? Maybe black ones, with knee high leather boots<<

AND WHIPS!!!!!!!!!!!

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: SLOWMAN - PLEASE READ -STer's please respond if you feel the same way [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Never going to happen. The real strength and appeal of the Forum is the ability to freely express one's self. Editing or removing responses only inhibits the postings. That's not what stimulates "healthy" debate. Price of living in a Democracy. The real way we as participants of the Forum can police "ourselves" is simply to ignore the posting and don't respond. With the volume this Forum gets, the odious topic in question quickly falls from the first and then second page until it's "buried" by more current and appropriate postings.

Jack
Quote Reply
Re: SLOWMAN - PLEASE READ -STer's please respond if you feel the same way [ironjack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I dunno man. Ironjack makes a strong argument!

------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.GetEndorFit.com
Personal Training and Sports Conditioning
------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: SLOWMAN - PLEASE READ -STer's please respond if you feel the same way [Local Star] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: SLOWMAN - PLEASE READ -STer's please respond if you feel the same way [ironjack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ironjack is stupid.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Price of living in a Democracy.

Actually, we live in a republic here in the USA...*but anyway*...for the most part I agree with the no censorship idea; in this case, as I wrote above, a line was crossed. Yes, the vast majority of us can see through it and read it for what it is---BS---but the post and thread was inappropriate, slanderous and ugly.
Quote Reply
Re: SLOWMAN - PLEASE READ -STer's please respond if you feel the same way [Monk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is this a test??
Quote Reply
Re: SLOWMAN - PLEASE READ -STer's please respond if you feel the same way [Mike C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's still a Democracy, just like the United Kingdom is a Constitutional Monarchy but it's still a Democracy. Both have a democratic form of government where the citizens actively participate, sort of like this forum.
Quote Reply
Re: SLOWMAN - PLEASE READ -STer's please respond if you feel the same way [Local Star] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Except the site isn't a democracy ... it's a private site linked to a business/identity.

Isn't the obvious solution for the members to follow the owner's rules?

Rather than have the "neighborhood watch" (i.e., moderators), or "ignoring the elephant in the room" (the off-topic posts), isn't the obvious solution for people to [1] moderate themselves by taking anything not related to tri to the LR or [2] change Dan's mind? I find it strange that the onus is placed on "everyone else" and not the folks responsible for the threads in opposition to the owner's suggestions/rules?

I've suggested the "ignore them and they'll go away" thing before, but after thinking about it some more ... it's hard to come up with examples of when this strategy actually works.

The other solution is to take the forum off-site to break any assocaitions with the forum content and the site owner. Unless this site results in Dan making significant more money (or prestige, etc), I can't some up with many reasons for keping it at the ST site. Off-site it could anything and everything the posters want it to be. Unfortunately, sites that are "self-moderated" are usually drug through the gutter by a few that seemingly take pride in such things. Confusing.

----------------------------

It's still a Democracy

We have democratic elections. It's a constitutionaly-limited republic. The latter is what keeps the majority from getting everything it wants. Looking throughout American history, it's good we're not a democracy.

=======================
-- Every morning brings opportunity;
Each evening offers judgement. --
Last edited by: TripleThreat: Dec 10, 05 16:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
someone just needs to write up an initiative and then we can take a vote. 2/3rds majority wins. :)
Quote Reply
Re: SLOWMAN - PLEASE READ -STer's please respond if you feel the same way [Kestrelkerri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
YEP!
Quote Reply
Re: SLOWMAN - PLEASE READ -STer's please respond if you feel the same way [TripleThreat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Except the site isn't a democracy ... it's a private site linked to a business/identity.
Exactly, that's why Ironjack is stupid. This is a commercial enterprise. Note the advertising?
Last edited by: Monk: Dec 10, 05 16:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bump
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I disagree with the proposed action.

The rules and guidelines Dan has established and posted, simple and few as they are, provide all of the guidance necessary for this forum. Any attempt to further regulate the forum with additional rules, or moderation by any person other than Slowman, would destroy the character of the Slowtwitch enterprise. I think that such actions would actually cause the forum to devolve into Tri-N*** pettiness and kill the board, rather than free us from the crap we're all sick of seeing pop up. I also believe that any additional regulation will kill the spirit of free discussion that invites people like Jack Weiss, Lew Kidder, Frank Day, and many other polarizing figures, some of whom are all but mortal enemies of Dan, to join the discussions here.

I don't like much of the content I've seen here lately. In that much, I agree with those that want something different. I wish it would go away. I hate meanness for the sake of being mean. But I also know that these things will come in cycles. Yes, I advocate the laissez-faire approach, at least to the extent practiced by Slowman.
Quote Reply
Re: SLOWMAN - PLEASE READ -STer's please respond if you feel the same way [TripleThreat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I'm thinking ... if I am Dan ... and I have a business to run, decisions to make, a life to live, do I really want to even worry about monitoring adult behavior and conversation on a website? Why? Do I even want to go to the trouble of setting up "Jedi" to watch the site for me? Wouldn't I rather just be done with it and focus on what I enjoy doing?

I'm thinking....if I am Dan..... playing sheriff on this site is the highlight of his day...
Quote Reply

Prev Next