Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
SEPTEMBER FISHES, POST EM UP!
Quote | Reply
So just realized that we are still posting in the august thread, so i will start this one out for sept, better late than never;

So woke up yesterday morning ready to do another ride in the mountains, and we were smoked in by that williams fire. Not much wind, so all the smoke is going straight up and just lingering until it falls down. As the crow flies, the fire is just about 15 miles away from us, but looks like we should be safe. SO got in the truck and headed back to the desert and stopped by the pool on the way home. It was a pleasant 83 degrees and i decided to vary paces a bit. Been sucked into a slow grinder pace for quite sometime, need to shake things up and start building some speed.

15x100(100swim@1;30/100swim@1;45/100IM@2;00)- 1;21/19/1;22--1;19/17/1;20--1;17/15/1;19--1;14/12/1;17--1;14/11/1;16
3x200IM kick hard@3;45--3;29/3;24/3;22
7x200 swim buoy only@3;00--2;43/42/41/41/40/40/41(3000tt pace effort)
3x100 kick-fly/brst/flutter--@2;00--1;49/1;44/1;42
2x100s@1;30--1;21/21
4000SCY

Quote Reply
Re: SEPTEMBER FISHES, POST EM UP! [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for starting it, Monty.
I'm a little peeved cuz some idiot made this month's challenge 70,000 yards. No way am I gonna make that!
My little ~40:00 AM workout consisted of:
500s
5x100 various kicks
5x[100s/50k]@~2:30 1:10/:07/:03/:06/:06
350 s/k/cool

2100 sc yardages

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Representing the fishes at TriRock Austin yesterday. 19:40 for the swim leg, fastest split by almost a minute. I think it was on the long side. Total time 2:06.02 for the olympic distance tri.

-----
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sunday....

Xterra Nationals...

1500 OW

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm planning some key swim sessions before IM florida.

Tomorrow will be 10x400m(Short course) on 5:20. Just trying to make the pace time.

Then 20x200m on 2:40- making pace time.

Then a couple weeks out: 40x100m on 1:20.

I'll let you know how it goes!
Quote Reply
Re: SEPTEMBER FISHES, POST EM UP! [HAssRing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mon pm swim - still 84deg, not surprising was ~98deg yesterday...

500 wu
10x200 alt IM/fr, :30 ri/ (~3:00-3:05/2:39-2:44)
5x100 kick, IM order + invert dolphin 2:00 (~1:40-1:50)
50 cd

~3000 scy

got booted from pool, last one swimming...week 4 of swim comeback, now if I can only maintain my current 3x/wk wimphood

------------------------------------------------------------
some days you're the windshield some days the bug
Quote Reply
Re: SEPTEMBER FISHES, POST EM UP! [unclerock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another 105 degree day here with 90% humidity, but the pool was a cool 83 again. Thunder closed it down for most the day, but when i did get to go i decided to cram a long pull set on short rest just in case it closed again;

4x1000- 3 pull@13;15/13;00/12;45--1 IM kick@18;30-- 12;55/12;41/12;28/18;16 kick
500 back
5x100swim@1;30- 1;22/22/21/21/21
5000SCY and boy were my arms tired
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whoa! That's a long swim, Monty.

I'm taking it easy as Pac Coast approaches:
100s;50k;200s;50k;300s;50k;400s;50k;300s;50k;200s;50k;100s @:05RI
200 s/k cool
cruised thru it - no clock until after 400. 3:45/2:23/1:11

2100 sc yardages

Quote Reply
Re: SEPTEMBER FISHES, POST EM UP! [OptimalAdrian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OptimalAdrian wrote:
Representing the fishes at TriRock Austin yesterday. 19:40 for the swim leg, fastest split by almost a minute. I think it was on the long side. Total time 2:06.02 for the olympic distance tri.

Nice job. Did you win any $$?
Quote Reply
Re: SEPTEMBER FISHES, POST EM UP! [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No cash, but I was first overall age grouper, and the prize was a free pair of Asics 1170's (which the wife will get) and an Ogio hydration pack that retails for $85. So, not bad at all. I probably should have been in the open wave rather than age group, but then I would have been 4th, and no prize (top overall prize included a custom guitar). Top 3 in each AG got a beer mug, but they didn't overlap the Age Group Overall with the individual groups, so even though I won the M30-34, I was not announced as the winner of that group, nor does it show up as such in the results.

-----
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OptimalAdrian wrote:
No cash, but I was first overall age grouper, and the prize was a free pair of Asics 1170's (which the wife will get) and an Ogio hydration pack that retails for $85. So, not bad at all. I probably should have been in the open wave rather than age group, but then I would have been 4th, and no prize (top overall prize included a custom guitar). Top 3 in each AG got a beer mug, but they didn't overlap the Age Group Overall with the individual groups, so even though I won the M30-34, I was not announced as the winner of that group, nor does it show up as such in the results.

I think the results have you in the open division. You should get that corrected, because you will not get a USAT score for your effort.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats man. I looked through the results from this year and last, very impressive improvement! I wish I was still down in Austin, definitely a different scene up here. Our season is pretty much over, and I've missed most of it.

Still trying to get back in swim shape; I'm contemplating Branson 70.3 in a few weeks. Today:

wu: 200 sw, 100 k, 100 one-arm dr, 200 sw
main: 5/4/3/2/100 @ 1 min rest ~1:21ish pace (ugh)
100 easy

2200 scy

Oh yeah!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
OptimalAdrian wrote:

I think the results have you in the open division. You should get that corrected, because you will not get a USAT score for your effort.

Actually, that is up to the race director on whether they want to send the results in to USAT or not. Here in Dallas they typically send in the elite waves.
Quote Reply
Re: SEPTEMBER FISHES, POST EM UP! [duffman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Back to the grind...

45 min run @ 7:20 pace (faster than usual for me)

Swim ~3,000 scm

Main Set

5x100@1:30 (ave 1:10)
4x75 @ 1:15 (50 fast/ 25 easy)
3x50 @50 (slow/build/fast)
2x25 @ :30 (fast)

The LCM pool is officially closed down. Kind of a sad way to end the summer.
Quote Reply
Re: SEPTEMBER FISHES, POST EM UP! [SH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SH wrote:
[
Actually, that is up to the race director on whether they want to send the results in to USAT or not. Here in Dallas they typically send in the elite waves.

Maybe I am not understanding you, but if it gets sent in, USAT flags it as "open" and it does not count towards your score.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
been a strange summer, swam 5 days a week in Feb and got (for me) fast, after a month it was all gone. 80% of workouts have been just shattered, barely making intervals never mind the goal pace.. dunno
Yesterday was the last day outside until next year, boo, and one of the 80%,
200 stroke wu, 5x200 on 3:15 as 2:48,52,51,54,54 5x100IM on 2:15 as 1:42,44,45,45,46, 5x50 as 37,39,39 and quit in disarray..

"It is a good feeling for old men who have begun to fear failure, any sort of failure, to set a schedule for exercise and stick to it. If an aging man can run a distance of three miles, for instance, he knows that whatever his other failures may be, he is not completely wasted away." Romain Gary, SI interview
Quote Reply
Re: SEPTEMBER FISHES, POST EM UP! [doug in co] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
400 sw (2x 150fr/50bk)
300 paddles
4x50 dr/sw
100 easy k/sw

10x100@1:35 cruise
10x100@1:50 odd fast, even easy

4x100 kick/cruise
100 easy mix

3500scy
Quote Reply
Re: SEPTEMBER FISHES, POST EM UP! [mattbk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You got start remembering and reporting your splits not just the send offs! That way we can see if you're getting faster...

So I just found out a woman I used to swim with at Longhorn Masters successfully crossed the English Channel this weekend in 11:16. She was a memorable one--non-stop motor. Congrats Katy Dooley.

Today:

wu: 200 sw, 100 k, 100 one-arm dr, 100 sw
main: 8 x 150 @ 2:15 started around 1:54 and slid to 2:00
cd: 100 bk/br, 100 k, 100 DPS

2000 scy

Oh yeah!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice easy swim this AM in prep for this weekend's race...

2x[300 reverse IM + 100k]
200s 2:24
10x50 alt s/k @1:00 :30/:31/:31/:30/:28

1700 sc yardages

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
duffman wrote:
You got start remembering and reporting your splits not just the send offs! That way we can see if you're getting faster...

The pace clock is still MIA, so squinting at a wall clock and hard to get times ad I usually need to get some fog outto see thr wall clock well for send off...

But roughly the 10x100 cruise were around 1:25 and the fast/easy were around 1:18/1:33...
Quote Reply
Re: SEPTEMBER FISHES, POST EM UP! [mattbk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've only got an analog wall clock too. Sucks cause you can't see it in the middle of a longer swim without stopping, but you should still be able to get +/- 1 sec on the splits. Try spitting in the goggles to help with the fog maybe?

Oh yeah!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ya, i cannot use those big clocks anymore. The digital are great if they are big enough and in the right place, i can check intermediate splits with just a glance. What i have to do now is use the ironman timex clock, the one on my wrist. It actually works really well now that i'm used to it. I can even check splits as long as my goggles are clear, just flip without a push and take a quick look. Lose a second or two, but i just back that out at the end of the swim. Takes a lot practice though, as you have to pre focus your eyes and the direction you are going to look to be able to see it clear enough to recognize. I usually do the math in advance in my head, so that i'm just really looking at the seconds 1/2 of the display.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bo (realalbertan) prescribed this set:

20x75s (SCM) on 1:10:

I went :53 on 15 out of 20 and :52 on 5 out of 20

I think that 20 x 75's with a work to rest ratio of 2-1 might be a decent Ironman predictor. For example, if I did 75s on 1:15 I would swim them around :51-:52, and get about :24 seconds of rest (work to rest of close to 2-1). I also think my ironman swim would be in the 51-52 minute range. I only think of predictor sets as fun, nothing remotely close to scientific, but does anyone else care to do the set as described and report back if it holds true for them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hmm well i've never swam scm. how would this translate to scy?

Oh yeah!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Of course it depends on your own speed, so going to yards for me would be about the same as it is for meters with Bo. There are some pretty fast guys here that do meters in what i do yards, so it is easy for me to just use the same times in my short pool..Just figure out how much rest you need to get, and then adjust the interval to meet your needs..
Quote Reply

Prev Next