Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Ryan Lochte Fall-Out - Speedo Drops Him
Quote | Reply
Well it looks like the first domino fell for Lochte with Speedo dropping him. How many more will follow suit? Am I the only one that thinks Ryan Lochte might be the biggest drama queen that has ever existed in the history of sport. I know there is the old saying 'that any press is good'. Can he spin this around to his benefit still or is he doomed. Maybe this belongs in Lavender, I don't know.

https://finance.yahoo.com/...ochte-151934704.html

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Last edited by: Thomas Gerlach: Aug 22, 16 8:45
Quote Reply
Re: Ryan Lochte Fall-Out - Speedo Drops Him [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
US swim team should drop him forever. His remaining sponsors should also

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jeah
Quote Reply
Re: Ryan Lochte Fall-Out - Speedo Drops Him [pvolb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
/end of thread and you win the internet for the day!

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're an idiot if you think Lochte is the biggest drama queen ever in the history of sport.

He embellished the truth regarding an event that he was actually involved in. So yeah, he deserves the responsibility for that. But that's as far as it should go.

This is also a guy who stays to sign every single autograph for every single kid who wants one. He never, ever says a single bad word about anyone else, teammate, competitor, or otherwise. He was actually injured before trials, no excuses about the injury slowing him down, every time he was asked about it he said it was fine. Does a bunch of swim clinics with kids, is always open.

Unfortunately for Ryan, Speedo wasn't left with much of a choice in this. The press has done the damage to his reputation.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Ryan Lochte Fall-Out - Speedo Drops Him [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He lied, period, and is still doing it. But wait, I guess if it is okay that Hillary lies everytime she opens her mouth, maybe Ryan was just trying to be like her. :)

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He's (Lochte) a dumbass, for sure. IMO, Speedo was right in dropping him.

But, I think Phelp's two DUI's are much worse. He was able find his way back to the spotlight and benefit from it. He did it in the pool.

If Lochte wants to redeem himself publicly, he'll need to do it in the pool as well. (or open water).

If he retires now, he'll always be known as the drunk swimmer who got caught vandalizing a gas station bathroom and lied about getting robbed.

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would say that Ryan did the damage to his reputation. Pretty sure it wasn't the media that lied like a child trying not to get caught.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just not sure what his reasoning was about embellishing the story like he did. Turned what would have been a rather unnoticed bout of drunken revelry into an international incident. If he had just paid the $50 bucks for the ripped down poster and went on his way, it would have been pretty much forgotten except for the gas station attendant who would have pretty much thought drunken Americans are stupid and left it at that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
You're an idiot if you think Lochte is the biggest drama queen ever in the history of sport.

Ok, I am a flaming idiot then. Geez, not a lot of other athletes in history have dyed their hair blue?

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
except that jamacan track girl that dyed her's yellow and green

http://www.clevetriclub.com

rob reddy
Quote Reply
Re: Ryan Lochte Fall-Out - Speedo Drops Him [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
He lied, period, and is still doing it. But wait, I guess if it is okay that Hillary lies everytime she opens her mouth, maybe Ryan was just trying to be like her. :)

what the fuck are you talking about? He amended his original statement. And what on earth does Hilary have to do with this?

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't call his hair blue....more like white/grey

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He lied, period,

Well he deserves it then. I don't know anyone else who lies...

Last edited by: Sanuk: Aug 22, 16 9:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

Ok, I am a flaming idiot then. Geez, not a lot of other athletes in history have dyed their hair blue?

Were you alive when Rodman was playing basketball?
Quote Reply
Re: Ryan Lochte Fall-Out - Speedo Drops Him [Reddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Reddy wrote:
except that jamacan track girl that dyed her's yellow and green

Sure athletes do things all the time that are outrageous like dying their hair, but did she talk it up like Lochte did. I mean the fact that he went out of his way to clarify his hair color to me seemed sooooo over-the-top. Like it was one big stunt. I have to least assume without knowing more about the track girl that she was going for the Jamaican flag colors and just trying to be patriotic.

Quote Reply
Re: Ryan Lochte Fall-Out - Speedo Drops Him [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
I wouldn't call his hair blue....more like white/grey

Well that is my point. He went out of his way to talk about his hair and the shade of blue. I mean it just seemed over-the-top. Frankly, I went looking for some quotes from him from 2012 but I can't find anything. I was well versed in Lochte ahead of the 2012 Olympics and 2016 Olympics when I should not have been. I mean I don't watch TV, I don't follow swimming. I should know about Katie, Franklin, and Phelps. I don't know why I know about Lochte before I should have but I did.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hate to say this, but he is going to get trounced by his sponsors, what is there, 2 left? This is the thing, it is not the crime that does one in during this internet/social media paradigm. It is the cover up. Just ask Martha Stewart and the 100's that are finding out that lying about something they did, is worse than what they actually did. Just how it is these days.

And I agree, he could come back but it has to be in the pool.I already see him speaking out like a whipped dog on this issue, but that is not going to change anything. Of corse he has to do that, but to come all the way back he will have to win some world championships and be the "guy" for Tokyo. No reason he couldn't, except in his head of course. WHo knows what lurks up there..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
He lied, period, and is still doing it.

Oh come on, who here hasn't had a post-race bender get away from them? It's not like it's like anyone was physically harmed or anything.
Quote Reply
Re: Ryan Lochte Fall-Out - Speedo Drops Him [Goosedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Goosedog wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

Were you alive when Rodman was playing basketball?

Yes, I was actually thinking of using Rodman as an example or Deion Sanders. Yes they were both over the top. In the end, my view of Rodman is just that he was different. The way he played basketball was very different from anyone else. I give him a pass because of that.

Quote Reply
Re: Ryan Lochte Fall-Out - Speedo Drops Him [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
IWHo knows what lurks up there..

Crickets?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hate that the world of sponsorship and athletics depends on a unfoulable resume from the athletes. These are real people who make real mistakes. I don't condone his behavior at all and I think he deserves some backlash. That being said, as a guy who's won numerous medals, inspired tons of kids to work in the pool and given his name to the company Speedo I think his reputation was clearly already solid. How can we allow these companies to treat athletes like this. At the first sign of any sort of bad press they just drop these people and toss them to the curb; it's utterly despicable behavior. What about standing by your athletes? Saying they know they were wrong and have now been given the opportunity to make amends. Do these people need additional pressures of being perfect people on top of elite athletes? Can't we cut them some slack?

I know my opinion will likely not be shared by others on the forums but I think it's time we stop allowing mass media to spin stories out of control and destroy peoples livelihood. Yes he is responsible for the lies and fabrication of these events. Yes he made a stupid mistake. Yes he will have to make amends. Yes he has tarnished his reputation. Why do we insist on kicking people while they are down? What does this say about our humanity?

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Quote Reply
Re: Ryan Lochte Fall-Out - Speedo Drops Him [PushThePace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know my opinion will likely not be shared by others on the forums but I think it's time we stop allowing mass media to spin stories out of control and destroy peoples livelihood. Yes he is responsible for the lies and fabrication of these events. Yes he made a stupid mistake. Yes he will have to make amends. Yes he has tarnished his reputation. Why do we insist on kicking people while they are down? What does this say about our humanity?

No kidding.

One comment was supportive of all the negative press because Lochte lied...meanwhile, back in the real world, people lie probably a dozen times a day but if a swimmer lies, it's okay to destroy his livelihood.

It's getting way out of hand.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He needs to do something extreme like dedicate 1 year of his life to the service of some sort social cause or public service.
One where he really gets to work hard.
Quote Reply
Re: Ryan Lochte Fall-Out - Speedo Drops Him [PushThePace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sure but just be aware that dealing with the media is a 2 way street. When you "leak" stories to the media, you better make sure you are leaking a lock tight story. And from accounts the reason this was an story is because Lochte's mom ran to the media to report "my son had a loaded gun pointed at his head".

ETA: So I don't think this is a "poor athlete being raked over the coals by the media", nah I think when your camp pretty much starts the rumors and leaks it to the media, you kinda get what you get out of the story.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: Brooks Doughtie: Aug 22, 16 9:26
Quote Reply

Prev Next