Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ryan Lochte Fall-Out - Speedo Drops Him [wbp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wbp wrote:
I feel really bad for him - and I never was much of a fan. As to all the hysteria over his "lie", the bottom line is somebody pointed a gun at him and demanded money. In the United States, if you break somebody's door, they don't get to pull a gun on you and demand you pay for it. Sure, he "over-exaggerated" (his words) but should he lose his livelihood because of that? I cannot even imagine the work he's put in to get to where he's at and to have that pissed away over this seems just awful.

I agree. I seem to be missing something in all of this. He (or one of them) pulled a poster down off a wall. The poster was an advertisement. Should he have done that? No. Is that even $50 worth of damage? The company will just put another ad up.

And everyone is OK with them being stopped at gunpoint by a civilian? Not a police officer. So yeah, he did something stupid. He was drunk, partying, not the brightest bulb to begin with. But I'm on his side. You don't get to pull a gun on someone for that, especially as they were in the taxi already, leaving.

And Matt Lauer is a douche. That interview was complete shit. Lauer said they were "negotiating" reparations for the damage. Hey Matt - it's not a negotiation if one person is holding a gut to the others.

Speedo dropped him because he's probably done and this is a great way to get out of their contract. I don't see him making the team in Tokyo.

Tl;dr - They ripped an advertisement off a wall at a gas station, attendant pulled a gun and demanded money. The gun seems to be by far the bigger deal.

--Chris
Quote Reply
Re: Ryan Lochte Fall-Out - Speedo Drops Him [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:

Unfortunately for Ryan, Speedo wasn't left with much of a choice in this. The press has done the damage to his reputation.
It isn't unfortunate for Ryan... its called a repercussion to his irresponsible behavior and statements. He damaged his own reputation... which seems to point to him being a "bad boy" on a less international scale but one nonetheless. He poured a little gas on that in Rio.. IMO.

He has no one but himself to blame at the root of it. He goes to Rio, swims and doesn't act irresponsibly... we aren't even discussing him and he has his sponsors.
Quote Reply
Re: Ryan Lochte Fall-Out - Speedo Drops Him [Lock_N_Load] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not since Michael Vick and the dog fighting fiasco has an athlete so torched his chances for sponsorship riches.

If I am in a foreign country I am not going to do something as stupid as he did, even if I am drunk. And if I can pay $50 to a gun wielding qasi-security guard to walk on down the road and not end up at the police station because of my immaturity and stupidity, I am going to do it.

I don't feel bad at all that Lochte's chosen actions have had and are going to continue to have some serious consequences.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The level of revenge that some seem to want is beyond my comprehension.

He got caught in a lie or rather boast, he told his mother and then was stuck trying to defend it.
Is he at the Peter Kent(Scud Stud), Bill Clinton, Rob Ford (who?) Lance Armstrong, Richard Nixon levels.
Not really...he's just an idiot.

AS for his future earning power, that will take five minutes for any half arsed PR company to fix.
Quote Reply
Re: Ryan Lochte Fall-Out - Speedo Drops Him [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And I have dropped Speedo. No more speedo products for me.

Yes, Ryan made a big mistake. How many other athletes have done worse things? It would take days to list them all.

And Ryan has, indirectly, brought in a decent amount of money for Speedo.
Quote Reply
Re: Ryan Lochte Fall-Out - Speedo Drops Him [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
ajthomas wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

The mass media gives, and the mass media takes.

Without the mass media, none of these folks make any money. It is real real clear what the rules are if you want sponsorship. Keep your nose clean.

Dave I think this is a fair point. But the thing about it is this: Lochte was not some A-list movie star who has a team of agents and handlers to help him profit from his stardom. He never made millions of dollars "working" the media (I bet he makes $500K a year. So over his career perhaps millions). So while you can say the mass media gives and takes when it comes to Lochte the mass media only gave a fraction of what has now been taken.

Even the fines are ridiculous. Jimmy Fiegen has probably made $20-30K TOTAL in his life in sponsorship. The "I was sleeping," lie has been told to the police SO MANY times that when police hear it they just assume the person is lying (this is true btw. In fact, I kind of think it was that very statement that set the police off. It is probably the third most common lie police hear behind "no i haven't been drinking", and "I don't know who that belongs too."). I am pretty certain that of the other million times the police have been told that lie Fiegen's fine is the largest doled out.

I guess what I am saying is, they are getting the "celebrity treatment," but they aren't actually celebrities and certainly have never profited off their "celebrity" status.

He has never profited off his "celebrity" status? Has a made more money that I have in my entire lifetime. He is 32 years old. Pretty clear over the years on what "celebrities" get sponsorship's and who does not in this age of instant media. It is not about how good you are, or were. It is can you connect with the public in a positive way? Just being honest, he is toast. Much rather have speedo sponsor Gwen. Seems like she would be a better role model.

This is exactly how it works. A gold medal in the wrong sport or a gold medal with the wrong personality = no endorsements. You don't even have to screw up like Lochte did. Carl Lewis only scored about 1/10th the expected endorsements after his 4 golds in 1984 due to his arrogance. But he learned his lesson and was much more personable, and thus marketable, in 1988. By 1996 when he 4-peated in the long jump he was practically beloved. If you are popular enough to have a major endorsement contract then you had better be professional enough to keep it.
Quote Reply
Re: Ryan Lochte Fall-Out - Speedo Drops Him [gshtrisport] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gshtrisport wrote:
And I have dropped Speedo. No more speedo products for me.

Yes, Ryan made a big mistake. How many other athletes have done worse things? It would take days to list them all.

And Ryan has, indirectly, brought in a decent amount of money for Speedo.

all he had to do was to NOT CONTINUE to lie. He dug the hole by CONTINUING to lie. If he would have initially just said, "I was intoxicated and vandalized a sign and peed in the bushes. It was stupid and immature and I apologize. But I don't think it was right for the security guards to pull guns on us"

How difficult would that have been? Apparently pretty much impossible for him. People would be far more forgiving if he didn't continue to lie and say "I over exaggerated" NO. YOU LIED. Saying things like that means you think the rest of us are morons who don't know that you're lying.
Quote Reply
Re: Ryan Lochte Fall-Out - Speedo Drops Him [stringcheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Although, as USA today is reporting, Lochte and the other swimmers never vandalized any bathroom. They only thing he messed with was a sign. He exaggerated his story a bit, but so did the "cops"/security.

He's a dumbass and put himself in a bat situation, but the bottom line is that there were people pointing guns at them demanding money or they wouldn't be allowed to go on their merry way. Perhaps this happens all the time in Rio, but if it happened in the United states, what would you call it?
Quote Reply
Re: Ryan Lochte Fall-Out - Speedo Drops Him [chriselam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd like to see Matt Lauer go after Hillary Clinton with as much gusto about all her lying she's done over the years. Lauer is a douche of the highest order.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:

He has never profited off his "celebrity" status? Has a made more money that I have in my entire lifetime. He is 32 years old. Pretty clear over the years on what "celebrities" get sponsorship's and who does not in this age of instant media. It is not about how good you are, or were. It is can you connect with the public in a positive way? Just being honest, he is toast. Much rather have speedo sponsor Gwen. Seems like she would be a better role model.

Correct, he never profited off his celebrity status because he was never a celebrity**. The money he earned was because he was one of the top 5 or so swimmers in the world the last 12 years. Compare him to Phelps: Phelps makes $10 million a year, has a team managing him, a PR firm, an image consultant basically an entire "Micheal Phelps Corporation." Was Phelps 20 times the swimmer? No way. But Phelp's was able to make money "as a celebrity." And because Phelp's made so much money and has an entire team Phelps has been able to, 2 years removed from his 2nd DUI, land multi-million dollar endorsement deals. Ryan only has one avenue towards that kind of redemption (swimming) and I am not sure that he even has that.

I agree Gwen would be a better role model. I agree with the business decision to drop the sponsorship. I do not support, at all, what that bozo did in Rio. But we are only pretending that we give a crap what Lochte does in his private time. We never cared before, and Ryan certainly never made much money off it.

**I bet he got paid $100K from that stupid reality show. So maybe he made a small but not life altering sum of money from his "celebrity."
Quote Reply
Re: Ryan Lochte Fall-Out - Speedo Drops Him [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
I wouldn't call his hair blue....more like white/grey

Check your TV color settings.
I saw aqua.

But then again, I saw a blue dress :-)

RayGovett
Hughson CA
Be Prepared-- Strike Swiftly -- Who Dares Wins- Without warning-"it will be hard. I can do it"
Quote Reply
Re: Ryan Lochte Fall-Out - Speedo Drops Him [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

**I bet he got paid $100K from that stupid reality show. So maybe he made a small but not life altering sum of money from his "celebrity."

Well it looks like all the Dominos fell and is now sponsorless. According the article he was making upwards of a million dollars a year and that is with these smaller sponsors. Can't imagine with Nissan, Marriott, and Gatorade.

https://finance.yahoo.com/...weave-000000903.html

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
ajthomas wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

Well it looks like all the Dominos fell and is now sponsorless. According the article he was making upwards of a million dollars a year and that is with these smaller sponsors. Can't imagine with Nissan, Marriott, and Gatorade.

Nah, it has been posted he has made no real money. :) He is not a "celebrity"

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Ryan Lochte Fall-Out - Speedo Drops Him [chriselam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree with all of these things, especially the Matt Lauer part. You couldn't get a more dweeby-weasel than him to conduct the interview. But anyway, yes Lochte did a really stupid childish thing, and then lied about it. But in the interview I believe (maybe I'm naive) that he was really sorry. Not the sorry because he would lose money from sponsors, but, like Jason said, he liked kids alot and always stuck around for pictures/autographs/etc, Said he never wanted to be like a former olympian who snubbed him for an autograph when he was a kid.

I was studying ALL the video clips of that night for the last week, and not sure if anyone asked this (maybe they did), and maybe this isn't the thread, but...

(1) Why did the gas station attendants take them to an area which did not have cameras (or any clear footage) to conduct "negotiations"? Just the 3 swimmers (Lochte standing up), and the attendants not in the picture (or not clearly in the picture).
(2) Did anybody capture the erased footage (some say 3 minutes, some say 10 minutes were erased)? If so, what happened during that timeframe?
(3) The stories of Bentz and Conger were pretty much the same. I know the lawyer probably wrote it, but did the IOC have any influence in building that story so the "negotiation" would seem like a paying of damages and not an extortion (as Lochte said in the interview)? That would help in not tarnishing Brazil's reputation for tourists post olympics. (I know, this may be a conspiracy theory but idk).

Maybe its nothing, but I watched and read everything else and bottom line I hope this doesn't follow him for the rest of his life. I really feel bad for him and forgive him for the ordeal. Not like it means much coming from me but oh well.
Quote Reply
Re: Ryan Lochte Fall-Out - Speedo Drops Him [gshtrisport] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gshtrisport wrote:
And I have dropped Speedo.

Oh, dude ... phrasing!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
ajthomas wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

Nah, it has been posted he has made no real money. :) He is not a "celebrity"

Dave, do you realize that what Thomas is saying is that the $750-1M figure is nonsense? And even if it wasn't, he still was not making the kind of money that an A list celebrity makes. He was a C-lister up to the moment he did something stupid.

If you want to contend that the treatment he has received is consistent with other celebrities in his income bracket then you are just as much an exaggerator as Lochte. My wife makes the around same amount of money as Lochte, I am pretty certain that she can piss in public and not have the fallout be the lead story on NBC nightly news.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Speedo had already lost the contract for US National Team so keeping Lochte as one of their standard alone sponsored swimmers makes zero business sense. His reputation has taken a beating with the lies. If he keeps swimming signing with a smaller brand is his best chance. In the mean time just wear all the free Arena stuff you got in Rio plus whatever speedo stuff is left over.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: Ryan Lochte Fall-Out - Speedo Drops Him [realAB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Speedo continues to sponsor dopers / former dopers.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe Ralph Laurin also dropped him.

Barry Dmitruk
2017: Florida 70.3 (done); Mont Tremblant 70.3 & Ironman

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lochte although handling this whole situation like a complete jack ass, has been this weeks scape goat for the media . For example , this story got six times the amount of press than the state dept admitting this week that the 400mil to iran was indead tied to the release of the hostages. I wont bother listing the other big stories to avoid stearing the thread in a different direction. But Lochtegate was absolutley used for this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Give Lochte a break! The media is rigged! A CNN anchor was complaining that everyone's focus was on this scandal, yet the CNN was airing the gas station surveillance video all over again. Not sure who over-exaggerated it more, the media or intoxicated Lochte.
Last edited by: MartinR: Aug 22, 16 15:25
Quote Reply
Re: Ryan Lochte Fall-Out - Speedo Drops Him [Dirt fighter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In rio alone...

Attempted rape in the Olympic village, head of the Irish (?) Olympic Committee (and IOC executive) arrested for illegally scalping tickets, why the hell was the water in the diving tank green (it apparently reeked), a couple of Australian swimmers were robbed, etc etc...

But lochte did something dumb. Crucify him!!!

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
In rio alone...

Attempted rape in the Olympic village, head of the Irish (?) Olympic Committee (and IOC executive) arrested for illegally scalping tickets, why the hell was the water in the diving tank green (it apparently reeked), a couple of Australian swimmers were robbed, etc etc...

The real shame is that Lochte has learned far too late that people do stupid things when drunk. This lesson should have been learned long before being 32 and continuing in his behavior.
Lesson learned though, time to move on.

Team Zoot So Cal
Last edited by: Karl: Aug 22, 16 15:39
Quote Reply
Re: Ryan Lochte Fall-Out - Speedo Drops Him [konaexpress] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe Ralph Laurin also dropped him.//

Apparently that is true, so one more to go?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
In rio alone...

Yes, there is something to be said for a commensurate and proportional response to what happened. That concept has gone out the window.

The problem Lochte faces is that this fits the white-male-privilege-ugly-American-dump-on-brown-people-the-world-just-can't-take-Americans-anymore profile. That profile is very popular among domestic progressives and international anti-americans.
Quote Reply

Prev Next