Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Ruth Astle - 2023 Costs and Earnings Breakdown
Quote | Reply
Interesting to see her 2023 and 2022 breakdown.

Quote Reply
Re: Ruth Astle - 2023 Costs and Earnings Breakdown [FuzzyRunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's the end of 2022 episode, to which she refers. A year with better results (cf 2023).

Quote Reply
Re: Ruth Astle - 2023 Costs and Earnings Breakdown [FuzzyRunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Miss the days when Cody Beals used to do this. A mediocre podium free 2023 makes for tough times.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FuzzyRunner wrote:

Very interesting, thanks for posting.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FuzzyRunner wrote:

Thanks for sharing
I hope she has a better 2024
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Really interesting. 2024 might be hard as I always assumed she and Jo Skipper were both wiggle sponsored, but maybe she’s just argon.
I wondered why she, and a few other pros like skipper, do so many long flights and trips for races when there’s lots of Ironman or 70.3 events you can drive and ferry or tunnel, or short flight to in Europe, and even in the uk. A lot of uk based pros often seem to race very little in the uk.
Presumably prize money, chance of placings or sponsor requests?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Speaking of earnings......among other things.
Top earners
#1: A woman
#2 A man
#3 A woman
#4 A woman

Last edited by: ThailandUltras: Dec 27, 23 2:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can someone post the tldr recap in text format so that we don’t have to watch the video please?
Quote Reply
Re: Ruth Astle - 2023 Costs and Earnings Breakdown [tamiii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tamiii wrote:
Can someone post the tldr recap in text format so that we don’t have to watch the video please?

its only 15mins long 😂 but from what i can remember from when i watched it last night... in 2023 she made around £7,000 and in 2022 it was around £90,000
Quote Reply
Re: Ruth Astle - 2023 Costs and Earnings Breakdown [tamii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
elecious wrote:
tamiii wrote:
its only 15mins long 😂
Go and watch the video: do you think she (and Scoffer) makes it for fun?
Overall, for all, trirating's analysis:
https://www.trirating.com/...riathlon-money-list/
Quote Reply
Re: Ruth Astle - 2023 Costs and Earnings Breakdown [Lankysprinter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lankysprinter wrote:
I wondered why she, and a few other pros like skipper, do so many long flights and trips for races when there’s lots of Ironman or 70.3 events you can drive and ferry or tunnel, or short flight to in Europe, and even in the uk. A lot of uk based pros often seem to race very little in the uk.
Astle raced 5 times, the first 3 in Europe and then Kona (having KQ'd with her Israel win late in 2022) and Cozumel for a late season effort (aborted/DNF'd).
What pro races were there in UK this year? And next year?
In UK IM Wales is a very hard course and low SOF (and not in 2024): Skipper raced that (with a 20 minute 'rest' during the bike).
https://files.constantcontact.com/...a14-689124e00d3a.pdf
Astle (and Matthews) both raced 70.3 Swansea in 2022.
Looking at the UK top ranked, LCB last raced in UK in 2019 (am discounting Eton Dorney) at 70.3 Stafford (with Pallant and Matthews). Lee raced Weymouth (with Matthews) in 2019. Bartlett probably races most in UK. NB Lawrence USA based, Pallant SA based.
Maybe there will be a PTO Tour race in UK this summer?
Quote Reply
Re: Ruth Astle - 2023 Costs and Earnings Breakdown [Ajax Bay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ajax Bay wrote:
elecious wrote:
tamiii wrote:
its only 15mins long 😂
Go and watch the video: do you think she (and Scoffer) makes it for fun?
Overall, for all, trirating's analysis:

Thanks for the link to trirating.

It is nice that PTO is paying out all this money to pros, but I fear that gravy train ends at some point as they are VC backed and don't YET have a sustainable biz model. Take PTO out and that's what pro athletes can make in the long term. If I have the stats right, Tour De France only paid out Euro 2.5M last year in overall prize money so both Ironman and PTO are doing better overall.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tamiii wrote:

Give her a chance and go watch her content. You don't need to actually watch, you can just have the audio on and listen while doing other things, but it is worth listening to and part of her income is from us clicking on her content.
Quote Reply
Re: Ruth Astle - 2023 Costs and Earnings Breakdown [Ajax Bay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At this link in 2019, pre Covid, and pre PTO there were only 16 earners of $100K or more (Ryf was the last one)

and the top two were WTS + Superleague ( Zaferes and Luis) can't remember which Superleague races were accuing to almost $150K for each of them out of their ~$300K of earnings (rest from WTS)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tamiii wrote:

Quote Reply
Re: Ruth Astle - 2023 Costs and Earnings Breakdown [Lankysprinter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lankysprinter wrote:
Really interesting. 2024 might be hard as I always assumed she and Jo Skipper were both wiggle sponsored, but maybe she’s just argon.

What Ajax Bay said about lack of UK races. I think Skipper and other British pros have also been quite vocal about poor organisation/refereeing/drafting at some European races, particularly Spain IIRC.
Quote Reply
Re: Ruth Astle - 2023 Costs and Earnings Breakdown [Mudge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mudge wrote:
tamiii wrote:

x100 lol

Someone post the main points. I don't have 15 minutes to waste on top of the time I am already wasting.
Quote Reply
Re: Ruth Astle - 2023 Costs and Earnings Breakdown [thatzone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thatzone wrote:
Mudge wrote:
tamiii wrote:

x100 lol

Someone post the main points. I don't have 15 minutes to waste on top of the time I am already wasting.

Ahah that’s good! Sorry I didn’t mean to sound like a ****
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And Sam Sulek makes somewhere between $170-200k a MONTH from his youtube channel alone. Take what you will from that in so far as what it says about the value of triathletes in the general economy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With the disclaimer that I haven’t watched the video yet nor checked my hypothesis… are the longer distances traveled to races perhaps because she’s traveling with Alistair? It might simply be that they have looked at each other’s form and prioritized races where he gets an appearance fee and/or thinks he can make good money.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pretty grim stats, obviously it’s good for her that she has some other income. Looks like she’s presently ranked 84th by the PTO. Perhaps unsurprising that it’d be difficult to make a living outside of the top 20 or so. Hopefully she enjoys the grind and continues to improve.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A little misleading not to include money from her coaching gig or part time real job.
Probably makes quite some which takes away time for making money on e.g. youtube instagram etc
Quote Reply
Re: Ruth Astle - 2023 Costs and Earnings Breakdown [lassekk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lassekk wrote:
A little misleading not to include money from her coaching gig or part time real job.
Probably makes quite some which takes away time for making money on e.g. youtube instagram etc

Not following??? wasn't the whole point to discuss what she made as a triathlete?
Quote Reply
Re: Ruth Astle - 2023 Costs and Earnings Breakdown [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
It is nice that PTO is paying out all this money to pros, but I fear that gravy train ends at some point as they are VC backed and don't YET have a sustainable biz model. Take PTO out and that's what pro athletes can make in the long term. If I have the stats right, Tour De France only paid out Euro 2.5M last year in overall prize money so both Ironman and PTO are doing better overall.

Your comparison to TDF is interesting. Prize money at the TDF means nothing. The money in pro cycling is in television rights. It appears this is what PTO wants from triathlon. https://www.tri247.com/...triathlon-mainstream

Cycling has different problems. Lots of money goes to the owners of the television rights, but little to the teams that have to depend entirely on sponsors and owners with deep pockets. But prize money is small change in the grand scheme of things.

Their model is currently broken. The owners of the television rights, example ASO are very happy with the financial model because they have the control. Team owners are not happy and that's why there may be a small revolution.
Quote Reply
Re: Ruth Astle - 2023 Costs and Earnings Breakdown [Ing.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lassekk wrote:
Don't think misleading: quite the reverse. And rather doubt the time working on that displaces any 'opportunity' for (more) you tube. No mention made ref instagram income; do tell us how that works?
Ing. wrote:
With the disclaimer that I haven’t watched the video yet nor checked my hypothesis… are the longer distances traveled to races perhaps because she’s traveling with Alistair? It might simply be that they have looked at each other’s form and prioritized races where he gets an appearance fee and/or thinks he can make good money.
Errr longer distances/Brownlee: no. After Ibiza (#6) Brownlee has only raced a few later in the year, and none with Astle, who had Kona then Cozumel.
Not sure where the 'longer distances' comes from: 2023: Canaries, Ibiza (with Brownlee), Zell-am-See (all Europe) then a month in Kona and the Mexico trip. Plus training camps (?Lanza).
https://stats.protriathletes.org/athlete/ruth-astle
Looks to me like she travelled more in 2022 (some of it with Brownlee (USA/Oceanside, training, IMWC St George (Brownlee DNS'd, Astle super 5th)).
I rather doubt Brownlee gets an appearance fee anywhere at present: maybe naive. Until he returns to his uninjured potential. May get a PTO Tour race wildcard for one in 'Europe'.
Last edited by: Ajax Bay: Dec 27, 23 12:38
Quote Reply

Prev Next