Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Running shorts quality not what is used to be
Quote | Reply
Been on a quest the past few years trying to find running shorts that last more than a season. The only ones I own that still don't have holes in them are almost 10 years or older. Everything before then have holes from wear or stitching coming apart.

Recently tried Brooks and after their liner in their 2in1s broke apart they said their shorts only are guaranteed for 50 runs. So hypothetically if a person only runs 3 miles at a time their shorts may last less than their shoes. To me that's almost insulting. North Face shorts have had the same issue of the inside liner just deteriorating but at least they will repair/replace their products no matter how long they have been owned. But would like to have a pair of shorts that at least last a few years and are comfortable.

Am I the only one that's seen this? Any recommendations on brands that'll actually last and stand by their products?
Quote Reply
Re: Running shorts quality not what is used to be [MikayP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Roark Run Amok. Swear by them the last 2 years! Perfect water resistant rear pocket for phone and 2 side pockets for gels/etc. perfect length too. Take a look
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah to be honest I’ve noticed similar in many brands.

I’ve had great luck with the Lululemon Fast and Free lined 5 in shorts. I’ve tried some of their other shorts and they weren’t very good, but the Fast and Free are game changers. I’m starting my 4th season on a pair that I’m wearing as I write this, still perfect.

Re: Running shorts quality not what is used to be [IKnowEverything] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Surprisingly then I'll +1 with the lulemon. In my case Surge shorts with the liner. I've 4 pairs, and one has a small hole in liner but still very useable, the others are fine. That I assume to be the first pair I got in 2015.

I was unsure about the lack of a zip pocket, just a 'flap', but in reality then it's been fine. I rarely use the leg pocket for my phone, even though it fits, but is where I carry my gels.

Although I've not tried them, it may be worth checking out the De Soto shorts. I say this as for 10years I ran in the Forza tri short under any selection of nike/adidas 7" unlined short. Only reason I've not tried them out is not being in US it's a bit of a faff and having found the lulemon worked for me there wasn't the incentive. But I was literally wearing a pair of De soto Forza shorts I bought in 2007 for my training session and they are still hole free.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The only thing that ever wears out on my Tracksmith shorts (I wear the Session) is the zipper in the pocket.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MikayP wrote:
... their shorts only are guaranteed for 50 runs. ....Any recommendations on brands that'll actually last and stand by their products?

Do you wash them after every single run?

My recommendation: Decathlon, I wear tights and shorts from them (brand name Kiprun and Evadict) and am very happy with their gear.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time like tears in rain.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rabbit.

There's one pair that I swear has 300+ wearings on them thus far and the liner still hasn't blown out.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wear Fusion Men's Short Tights, the have a deep elasticated pocket on each side which is ideal for carrying a phone. Quality is superb, I bought mine 3 years ago and they are my go to running shorts, only wear different ones if its too cold or they are in the wash. I cover around 1500km (1000miles) per year wearing them. I now have a second pair so that I always have a pair clean - however, the old ones don't show significantly more wear than the new pair
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are we gonna have a Built-In Liner vs. Non discussion?

I used to be Non + Compression, then transitioned to a built-in liner guy, but I'm considering going back, just because Non are cheaper & easier to find - plus, they're cheaper LOL

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
De Soto Stands by its products.

We have a tight collection of run shorts. You can find them here. If you're looking for a bargain check out the SOLANA RUN SHORT ZERO WASTE.

https://www.desotosport.com/...ections/mens-running

Emilio De Soto II
Maker of triathlon clothing, T1 Wetsuits, & Saddle Seat Pads and AXS since 1990
emilio@desotosport.com http://www.desotosport.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have lululemon 6 inch shorts I have worn for probably 6-7 years now. I will wear them race day this weekend in Oceanside. (I’m not racing)
Quote Reply
Re: Running shorts quality not what is used to be [Emilio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Emilio wrote:
We have a tight collection of run shorts.

Sorry, Emilio, but that made me laugh a little

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What style are you interested in? What length? Liner? Half-tights or traditional loose running shorts? Do you care about pockets?

I've been rotating a few pairs of the Nike Fast 4" running short for years, no signs of wear. Fairly minimalist split-short style with only a small key pocket (I don't carry phone with me when I run). Still available online from a few places but seems like these might be discontinued now.

I also have a pair of Wolaco half-tights which are nice and seem to be pretty durable. Those have a waterproof phone pocket that works well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The REI Swiftland shorts have been really solid for me. I have plenty of other shorts from other more expensive running companies but don't wear any as much as these. Warranty for a year, which is decent in my opinion.
Quote Reply
Re: Running shorts quality not what is used to be [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:

I used to be Non + Compression, then transitioned to a built-in liner guy, but I'm considering going back, just because Non are cheaper & easier to find - plus, they're cheaper LOL

100% liner. Makes it simple. Same with swim shorts. I'm not wearing swim shorts without a liner.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Emilio wrote:
De Soto Stands by its products.

We have a tight collection of run shorts. You can find them here. If you're looking for a bargain check out the SOLANA RUN SHORT ZERO WASTE.

https://www.desotosport.com/...ections/mens-running

I have a few pairs of DeSoto running shorts. They're indestructible. Well done.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Running shorts quality not what is used to be [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
Emilio wrote:

Yeah I guess I could have chosen something other than "tight." that is pretty funny especially given how baggy most of our run shorts are!

Emilio De Soto II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have found that I much prefer run shorts with boxer/jammer shaped liner in them versus brief shaped liner. Lululemon used to have brief shaped liner and they updated their run shorts a few years ago. I used to to chafe like crazy in the prior version but not anymore.

I cringe when my good lulu shorts are dirty and I have wear any shorts with a brief liner.

Other option is to run in tri shorts or tights.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MikayP wrote:
Been on a quest the past few years trying to find running shorts that last more than a season. The only ones I own that still don't have holes in them are almost 10 years or older. Everything before then have holes from wear or stitching coming apart.

Recently tried Brooks and after their liner in their 2in1s broke apart they said their shorts only are guaranteed for 50 runs. So hypothetically if a person only runs 3 miles at a time their shorts may last less than their shoes. To me that's almost insulting. North Face shorts have had the same issue of the inside liner just deteriorating but at least they will repair/replace their products no matter how long they have been owned. But would like to have a pair of shorts that at least last a few years and are comfortable.

Am I the only one that's seen this? Any recommendations on brands that'll actually last and stand by their products?

I am a huge fan of Korsa brand shorts
Have a couple of pairs that I bought in 2017-18 and the liner is still fine, but for longer runs I use some lube on my nether parts. Both Speed and Drive models are excellent and have a large number of pockets which is another bonus.
Their Cruise model is quite nice too but is a lot heavier.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Asics has been good for me, but also haven't had issues with Brooks, have a five-year-old pair..

also heard good things about Patagonia, warranty is good though the initial price will hurt.

A pair of South African shorts, brand Polly Shorts, lasted me over twenty years. Inseam was about 2", eventually my wife threw them away one day when I wasn't watching..
Quote Reply
Re: Running shorts quality not what is used to be [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
RandMart wrote:

100% liner. Makes it simple. Same with swim shorts. I'm not wearing swim shorts without a liner.

Define your "swim shorts" vs board shorts for me? I only have board shorts, sorry

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was this an April fools post? 50 runs? A pair of “running” shorts should last (with proper maintenance) until they basically fall apart.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Emilio wrote:
RandMart wrote:
Emilio wrote:

Yeah I guess I could have chosen something other than "tight." that is pretty funny especially given how baggy most of our run shorts are!

Can you please bring back the Split short? The DSS model was the best of that style, and now that they have come back into popularity through brands like lululemon, I would imagine there would be renewed demands.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve been digging the Janji 2 in 1 with 7” inseam. They’re expensive but I picked up one pair on clearance from REI and another pair in their secondhand sale. They have a tight pocket on both the liner legs that’s perfect for a 100ml bottle of maple syrup so I don’t have to carry in my hands. Don’t even notice it on the legs. Quality is good so far after about 6mos.

A working theory is that the high heat of dryers can damage the fabrics, so I either hand wash it in the shower, or on gentle cycle with cold, and then air dry. Seems to make a difference for durability. I did notice DeSoto has a similar recommendation for their technical fabrics.
Quote Reply
Re: Running shorts quality not what is used to be [davetallo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davetallo wrote:
Emilio wrote:
RandMart wrote:
Emilio wrote:

Can you please bring back the Split short? The DSS model was the best of that style, and now that they have come back into popularity through brands like lululemon, I would imagine there would be renewed demands.

Hey thanks for your interest and kind words about our products. We don't plan on bringing these shorts back anytime soon but I will gladly make a special run for you in your choice of black, royal blue, and/or red. Please email me for details and mention your slow twitch name.

Emilio De Soto II
Quote Reply

Prev Next