Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Running shoe survey: what are you using?
Quote | Reply
I’ve been running with ON shoes (cloudflow) for the past 3 years through one marathon, one full IM and six 70.3.

As I prepare for a new IRONMAN, was thinking on getting a show with more cushion.

What are you using for:

70.3 distance:
Full Ironman:

Thanks for the replies!

Any feedback on new nikes, hokas, new balance and ASICS is welcome.
Quote Reply
Re: Running shoe survey: what are you using? [ARA18] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Saucony Freedom ISO 2

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On CloudFlyer for 70.3, Flow for anything shorter. You could try the Ace but I find them to be considerably heavier and stiffer, which is OK for my 175 pound frame on training runs, I probably wouldn't want to race in them.
Quote Reply
Re: Running shoe survey: what are you using? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sketchers Go Run Razor 3 is crap. Don't buy them. Average shoes and material is so bad, they are torn after a couple of weeks of use. Expensive, but don't last long. Not worth it. Get something else for sure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
New Balance Beacon. Light weight and excellent cushioning.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Used Hoka in the past - Clifton and Tracer. This year I'm wearing the Nike VF 4%. Just had a PR 70.3 run at the age of 40 - maybe there is something in those shoes!

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It would be helpful to know what foot type you have, (wide, narrow), weight, looking for forefoot, or overall padding? Any issues?

I recently got the new Salming Greyhound (Sponsorship) and at first the extra padding was not something I loved but after just a few miles, I love them. While running studies show no change in injury rate based on padding, sometimes comfort makes the run easier. There are a LOT of good shoes out there depending on what you need/like. Try to run in a number at any good running store and your body will speak to you. Our store offers 30 days return if you don't like them, so that's a policy I would look for if you can.

Gary Geiger
http://www.geigerphoto.com Professional photographer

TEAM KiWAMi NORTH AMERICA http://www.kiwamitri.com, Rudy Project http://www.rudyprojectusa.com, GU https://guenergy.com/shop/ ; Salming World Ambassador; https://www.shopsalming.com
Quote Reply
Re: Running shoe survey: what are you using? [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
s13tx wrote:
Sketchers Go Run Razor 3 is crap. Don't buy them. Average shoes and material is so bad, they are torn after a couple of weeks of use. Expensive, but don't last long. Not worth it. Get something else for sure.

I couldn't disagree more, although I do find them hideous, I just ran a 70.3 in these. I have a lot of foot issues, and tried 25 (actual number) different shoes to find what works for me. A lot of the ones mentioned in OPs post. Asics, Hoka, Nike, Adidas, Saucony, Brooks, Reebok, New Balance, On, and sketchers performance. The Razor 3 hyper is the only one to give me zero discomfort. Now I'm also a firm believer that everybody has different feet, and there is no 1 best shoe, but I've been very happy with the cushioning and comfort of them. If they change the aesthetics, it would be perfect.
Quote Reply
Re: Running shoe survey: what are you using? [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Too bad Salming doesn't offer the same return shipping policy as other brands/stores (like New Balance).
At least on Salming's Canadian site, 30 days, you get a refund less the shipping they paid to deliver, and you also pay the shipping back to them.... So $30-$40 to try on a pair....

Places like NB, free shipping, free shipping slip to send back. Same with ON. Same with Garneau, etc etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Running shoe survey: what are you using? [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
natethomas wrote:
Used Hoka in the past - Clifton and Tracer. This year I'm wearing the Nike VF 4%. Just had a PR 70.3 run at the age of 40 - maybe there is something in those shoes!

Those are what I use. I PR in every single race now. Run after the bike ride is not as hard as before.
I love them to death!!
Quote Reply
Re: Running shoe survey: what are you using? [Terrordact] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Terrordact wrote:
s13tx wrote:

I couldn't disagree more, although I do find them hideous, I just ran a 70.3 in these. I have a lot of foot issues, and tried 25 (actual number) different shoes to find what works for me. A lot of the ones mentioned in OPs post. Asics, Hoka, Nike, Adidas, Saucony, Brooks, Reebok, New Balance, On, and sketchers performance. The Razor 3 hyper is the only one to give me zero discomfort. Now I'm also a firm believer that everybody has different feet, and there is no 1 best shoe, but I've been very happy with the cushioning and comfort of them. If they change the aesthetics, it would be perfect.

It's good they work for you, but material is just so flimsy. Where it bends and folds, I got some holes.
If they got the material right, I will love them.
I even like the tacky 'SPEED' logo on the side, but material is just terrible for the price.
The longest last shoes I've own are Altras and Ons. Their material is solid.
Quote Reply
Re: Running shoe survey: what are you using? [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
s13tx wrote:
Terrordact wrote:
s13tx wrote:

It's good they work for you, but material is just so flimsy. Where it bends and folds, I got some holes.
If they got the material right, I will love them.
I even like the tacky 'SPEED' logo on the side, but material is just terrible for the price.
The longest last shoes I've own are Altras and Ons. Their material is solid.

I've only run around 50-60 miles in them so far, so I can't speak to long term durability, but I haven't had any issues. Maybe a bit of the rubber on the sole starting to show some wear. I'll also say that when I first got them, I was skeptical about the durability due to the way they looked/felt, but again I'm happy so far and will most likely buy another pair. I really really wish the Ons worked for me, I loved everything about them aside from the pain they caused my arch after about 1 mile.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Altra Escalante Racer

Pretty minimal shoe but I use it for all distances
Quote Reply
Re: Running shoe survey: what are you using? [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
Too bad Salming doesn't offer the same return shipping policy as other brands/stores (like New Balance).
At least on Salming's Canadian site, 30 days, you get a refund less the shipping they paid to deliver, and you also pay the shipping back to them.... So $30-$40 to try on a pair....

Places like NB, free shipping, free shipping slip to send back. Same with ON. Same with Garneau, etc etc.

Hey, I understand. The US seems quite different. I could check and see if any of the Canadian Ambassadors could be of any help.

Gary Geiger
http://www.geigerphoto.com Professional photographer

TEAM KiWAMi NORTH AMERICA http://www.kiwamitri.com, Rudy Project http://www.rudyprojectusa.com, GU https://guenergy.com/shop/ ; Salming World Ambassador; https://www.shopsalming.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m running in Skechers Razor 3. I used to be in On Clouds and loved them, until they went from 7.0 oz to 8.1oz and now down to 7.8oz. The Razor 3 is a mere 6.4oz, but with plenty of cushion. I still must say that I loved the On Cloud, but the Razor 3 is a great shoe. I’ve got 111 miles in them and they’re not showing any wear. I even rolled my ankle in a pothole and rubbed the side of the upper. It didn’t even leave a mark. I thought it was going to be a big hole in the side of my shoe, so I can say they’re plenty durable. They are light AF up hills. I’m really flat footed, so I will say that it seems the On had a little better support and was a tad more responsive in terms of energy return. I ran 22.8 miles on the treadmill on Saturday with no issues other than my calves were killing me since I haven’t run that long in forever as I do mostly 70.3’s. I guess they’ve brought back the enjoyment of running for me, since they’re so light and well cushioned. My only regret is the color. I have the grey, blue, lime combination. I always get black and they were out. I suppose if I mile these out soon enough, I’ll get the next pair in black when they’re available again. Overall, they’re a very good shoe.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go-to-shoe: Brooks Ravanna 9 (keep a pair in my trunk, a work, at summer house, etc.) and choose them at home for any medium length or long run which might include some pacier work
Short easy runs: Brooks Transcend 10, love the ride, but a bit heavy for longer running. I also wear them for long walks with my wife ("recovery" for me, "exercise" for her).
Longer easy runs: Nike Epic React -- I think this will eventually become my go-to-shoe. Nice a light for longer easy runs.
Trail (light trail) and rainy days: Brooks Caldera 3
Speedwork: Brooks Ravanna 9, but probably switching to Nike Zoom Flyknit
Racing open road through marathon and triathlon up to 70.3: Nike Vaporfly 4%
Racing IM: TBD, probably Epic React (assuming it becomes my go-to-shoe) otherwise, Ravanna. Don't like Vaporfly at paces slower than 7:30ish/mile.
Last edited by: wintershade: Jun 10, 19 13:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For training:
361 Sensation 3
Adidas Solar Glide ST
Brooks Transcend 6
Asics GT 2000 -6

For tempo runs not at the track or on the treadmill I use the sensation 3's
For track runs I have a pair of Asics Noosa FFs & DS trainer 20s
For treadmill runs I use the DS trainer 20s, Saucony Kinvara's (forgot the #, 8's maybe) or the Noosa FF's

For 70.3 racing Asics pulled several pair of DS Trainer 23's from other store's inventory and sent them to me. But only the flouro green 23's!

I'm pretty fortunate that I get a lot of free shoes (~ 50% of the listed shoes) or get them at/near/just over/under cost. I probably have 4-8 more pair sitting around that I ran in 1-2x and for whatever reason didn't love them.

If the OP has specific questions on any shoes PM me. Happy to answer your questions/help point you in the right direction based on your needs

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I switched from Saucony to ONs in 2018 and love them. Rotate between CloudFlow and CloudSwift. For racing, I use the FLOWs and plan to use them in a Fall marathon. I am light, just under 100lbs.
Last edited by: SSMinnow: Jun 10, 19 14:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go to shoe - I've been running in Kinvaras forever and use them for most runs and triathlons

Other shoes:
Saucony Freedom ISO 2 for longer miles
Altra Superiors for shorter trail runs and races
Altra Lone Peak for long trail runs
Older pair of Asics Noosa Tri (or whatever that sockless race flat is) for pretty much just 5K's

Robert Dao
ATC Racing - Austin, TX
Gold's Gym Triathlon Coach
@speedao1
@daotraining
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IM Races: Reebok Floatride Run Fast

Training: Brooks Ghost but I'm looking for a new brand.
Last edited by: Scottxs: Jun 11, 19 7:35
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Training: Nike Pegasus Turbo

Racing 5K on up: Flyknit 4%

I've never run in a Nike shoe until this year and never real considered it, but they are simply making by far the best shoes on the market currently.
Last edited by: USCoregonian: Jun 11, 19 8:00
Quote Reply
Re: Running shoe survey: what are you using? [USCoregonian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same here. Like I said in the OP, I’ve been using ON for the last 3 years and working great. No injuries and achieving PB’s but mostly in 70.3’s or shorter.

Not sure if cushion enough to go for full marathon at full speed.

Was looking into the nike Pegasus turbo or 4%, but the price and supposed short durability is stopping me from changing.

Why aren’t PROs on them? I know sponsors but I haven’t seen any using the 4%. Or am I wrong?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ARA18 wrote:
Same here. Like I said in the OP, I’ve been using ON for the last 3 years and working great. No injuries and achieving PB’s but mostly in 70.3’s or shorter.

Not sure if cushion enough to go for full marathon at full speed.

Was looking into the nike Pegasus turbo or 4%, but the price and supposed short durability is stopping me from changing.

Why aren’t PROs on them? I know sponsors but I haven’t seen any using the 4%. Or am I wrong?

There are lots of pros running in 4%s. Off the top of my head Lucy Charles and Holly Lawrence are for sure. Pretty sure ben Hoffman is as well. Lots of the top pros have shoe contracts and don't have a choice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ARA18 wrote:

Look at the elite field of pretty much any marathon. Probably half of them (both men & women) are wearing the 4%.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ARA18 wrote:

$380 with tax here in Canada.....ugghh.....
Quote Reply

Prev Next