Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Running races with artificial hip
Quote | Reply
When I had my hip replaced in 2011, orthopedist said, "Never run again. Ever." I heeded his advice until winter of 2017 when I started to build up distance on a treadmill starting with 1/4 mile. Within 2 months I started running 5K races. I ran 3 5K races last winter and another 4 during winter of 2018. I;ve run a 5 mile and 10K race so far this spring. I'm 84 years old and am winning most races in my age group. I don't know any other runners racing with an artificial hip. I want to know their experience with racing regularly.
Quote Reply
Re: Running races with artificial hip [Jeelewis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My wife is a physical therapist and was reading over my shoulder. She recommended you schedule your next hip replacement.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My hubby had hip resurfacing ( not a total replacement) in 2008 and completed a bunch of half marathons/25k's on trails afterward. He's been sidelined with foot injury and subsequent surgery this spring but is hoping to get back out there in the fall. he is age 64.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Coincidentally, I was reading up on this issue just last night, e.g.:

https://www.runnersworld.com/...er-joint-replacement

As always, talk to your doctor, but if I were in your shoes, I'd keep right on running.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I cannot find my original post, but I was seeking feedback by way of survey of people who run or wish to run after hip replacement surgery.

The Survey that I linked to went to Hiprunner dot com, but it broke (bad omen?)....here is a new, slightly different survey at Athletics Illustrated.

There is very little data available. There is anecdotal stories, but not real surveys with mass answers:

http://athleticsillustrated.com/recent-relevant-news/news-wire/survey-running-with-hip-replacement/
Last edited by: Kelsall: Jan 24, 19 22:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great responses from folks so far. My wife (52 yo) had her hip replaced in 2012. Having run 13 previous marathons including 3 Bostons, being told that she shouldn’t run again didn’t sit well. Like others, she started walking with light running breaks at 4 months out.....transitioned to running lightly with some walking breaks, and can now run 4-8 miles easily, including trail running. All of that to say she did it slowly, methodically and listened to her body. It also was coupled with LOTS of strength training, stretching and foam rolling which was key in helping her body not create imbalances. She is also not overweight which helps. Docs said that the life of implants could be 20-30 years depending on activity level and impact. Not wanting to live in a bubble, she figured if there is going to be a second hip at some point down the road, may as well keep on living.
Keep it up but listen to your body and do everything you can to minimize factors that adversely affect you!
Quote Reply
Re: Running races with artificial hip [thompsonjlt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have had both hips done and the guidelines your wife received regarding lifespan are the same I received - but my ortho - who is a great sportsman - looked me in the eye and said don't run - only because of the wear and tear being placed on the prosthesis. He warned me that it could be reduced to as little as 10 years . The real kicker for me was - the docs HATE, with a vengeance, doing revisions and they are NEVER as successful.

Now a biker who does CX and MTB racing...:-)

Just my 2c. Hope this helps

Graham Wilson
USAT Level III Elite Coach
http://www.thewilsongroup.biz
Quote Reply
Re: Running races with artificial hip [Kelsall] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Your original post was over on the Notices forum - the new survey is flawed, as it assumes that the respondent is running post surgery - I do not run given the vastly decreased life span of the THR.

Hope this helps

Graham Wilson
USAT Level III Elite Coach
http://www.thewilsongroup.biz
Quote Reply
Re: Running races with artificial hip [feman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great 2c for sure!
Quote Reply