Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Running outside
Quote | Reply
fortunately i have a good lawyer and paid-up health insurance. otherwise, it would be crazy to run outside.

usually i try to stay indoors, because there is *stuff* out there like tigers and -- i don't mean to alarm you but -- wild packs of dogs running loose everywhere.

there is just so much going on today that i have opinions about. mostly about what other people are doing. why can't they live their lives like i do? i mean, it all seems so reasonable to me, why doesn't it seem reasonable to them? dang it, why can't people just agree with me!

okay, i've never got bitten by a dog while out running, or thrown off my bike because a dog blindsided me, but i have friends that have. okay, maybe not, but i've HEARD of friends who have friends who have.

the world is just not safe. it would be so much safer if people just let me make the rules for all of us. until then, i recommend you all try to do your running on treadmills.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Running outside [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
won't work for me...I don't know about anyone else but my wife won't let the Tigers in the house.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've never had any problems with dogs. However, my wife has been bitten twice, both times German Shepherds. A roadie I know took a bite from a Rottweiler. Something about those German breeds IMO.

Our lab retriever wouldn't bite anybody. So it's OK for him to run and x-country ski with us on the nature trials.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
But what if the treadmill has 'spontaneous acceleration' like the Audi 5000 in the mid 80's and I get swept off the back, through the window of my gym and fall to my death (my gym is on the 36th floor)?

"which is like watching one of your buddies announce that he's quitting booze and cigarettes, switching to a Vegan diet and training for triathalons ... but he's going to keep snorting heroin." Bill Simmons, ESPN
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was checking out a girl at the health club while running on the treadmill and totally ate it. So I stopped looking at girls. Now I have no problems on the treadmill.

I've never been bitten by a dog while outside running but my cat bites me every morning after I get out of the shower.

Only tiger I've ever seen was in a zoo.

It's not that dangerous as long as you stay away from chicks.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mind you, moose bites can be pretty nasty.
b

"What's good for me ain't necessarily good for the weak-minded."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
until then, i recommend you all try to do your running on treadmills.

But the sneaker company might make a defective shoe, and give me a blister, which could get infected, and I could die from the cardiac scarring from the infection that has gone systemic.

Better to not run at all.

I could swim. but I could hit my head on the wall, knock myself unconscious, and drown. Better not swim.

Cycling, as we've established, is extremely dangerous. There are packs of wild lions tigers and bears roaming the streets (on leashes though!!) ready to leap off the sidewalks and maul us. Better not cycle.

Lets all just play golf. But I could be hit by a golf ball ..........
Quote Reply
Re: Running outside [bobo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MY wife would let the tigers both shepards the rott and the audi(if she could pet it) in the house and probably insist they sleep with us and our four dogs(largest black lab 117lbs smallest pittbull mix 65 lbs). Several years ago I was taken down by a collie trying th herd me only minor road rash bruised ego but no permenant damage to bike. On the other hans a friend was riding with a group last oct and 2 dogs took her down fx collar bone maxilla and teeth still trying to recover and hasn't been back on a bike. Life is not safe but it will be safer for all if I can convience my wife to keep the tigers shepards rott and audi on the house while we are all riding. Happy training mike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Treadmills take power. You are using valuable resources.Its helping to destoy the eco-balance.While you are inside doing"Your thing" The natural habitat is being destroyed.

Tom,its ok to look at girls,its the touching that gets you in trouble. When you want to know how they feel,its different of how they want to know how you feel(feelings)
Quote Reply
Re: Running outside [jasonk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We've already discussed political beliefs, and I believe that people should have the choice to do just about anything they want until it affects someone else's inherent rights. I think we should have a ton of freedom, but very harsh penalties for when we impinge others. You wanna let your dogs run all over, or out of control that is your choice. If they bite, attack, charge, someone, the owner goes down hard.

What I want to know is "who are these dogs that bite"? No one ever seems to have a biting dog, yet dog bites ... especially among young children ... seem to be more common than I thought. Is there like one mean dog in a whole city running around biting everyone or is there possibly some biter dogs out there? People act like dogs are incapable of biting. My female dog is about as gentle as gentle gets ... until a stranger comes along, then she turns into the "Aussie Bitch". She's a good watchdog for my young son ... very protective. I don't know if I'll be able to take her when I walk my son or not.

As much goofy crap as I talk about, I really cannot believe we're talking all day about folks that expect other folks to keep their dogs [1] on a leash, [2] under control, and [3] on the owner's property. I don't see the big deal. I am lifelong dog-lover (cats blow), but I would never expect anyone to put up with my dog charging them (or even coming up to them while they were doing something else), going through their trash, pooping in their yard, following them on a run, etc.

Seems like folks are more concerned with their dog's rights and freedoms than with people's rights and freedoms. [Unless I'm reading this wrong] Since when did dogs gain such freedom? I guess they did help fight in WW2.

-----------------------------

=======================
-- Every morning brings opportunity;
Each evening offers judgement. --
Quote Reply
Re: Running outside [TripleThreat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey TT,

I don't think anyone is really arguing. We're all agreeing with each other (or most of us are) that dogs need to be under the control of the owner. Just that a couple of folks seem to take a much more militant view of what 'control' means than others, like never walk with or run with your dog, anywhere, because someone else might be inconvenienced or be too stupid to ride around the little beastie.

The moral, if you want a dog, get a pit bull (or something that looks like one). That way people pay attention to you, and always give you a wide berth ;-)

I agree though, cats are a waste of space, unless it can catch mice and knows not to leave the 'present' in your pillow. I'm selfish, so if I'm going to feed the critter, I want some love back out of the deal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First off, I do take kind exception to cats being a waste of space. If it weren't for mine I would have no one to talk to. Mine are well trained (as well as you can train a cat....) and quite smart.

Secondly, I have never had a problem with dogs biting me. I just ignore them. I think if you just do your own thing and don't appear threatening they are pretty uninterested as long as you don't encroach on their territory. They are like snakes with legs. Leave them alone and they leave you alone.

Having said that, a lot of dog owners do a rotten job of controlling their dogs. I find dog pooh on my lawn every week.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not really arguing either ... really. Just sort of asking for more clarrification, I guess. Just talking.

Honestly, I never really gave the loose dog thing much thought ... until I had a son that I take in public where there are occassionally loose dogs.

As a man, loose dogs pose very little threat to me, as a parent ... they scare the crap out of me . We see quite a few dogs in public (at baseball/softball games, etc), my son wants to "give them kissies", I always ask the owner before hand if they're good around kids. They almost always reply, "Loves my grandkids as much as I do", and then we spend the next 30 minutes kissing some dogs we just met.

I personally have never had a bad run in with a dog.

=======================
Quote Reply
Re: Running outside [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ignored dogs until I got bit. Friendly dog too. Would have paid enough attention if it were unfriendly. Hey, IT WAS WAGGING IT'S TAIL! No growl nothing. 6 inches from my knee it just turned and slashed the knee. Went up to the house talked to the owner who said as the blood soaked my pant leg and was running down onto my shoe, "oh that dog would never bite anyone". Anymore, not afraid of the dog. Wary though. Bring it on. I know I will win. I am afraid of the owner after the encounter. However, I am not always the only one in the equation.... my son has also been bit. One little bite, instant harelip and other teeth marks. So if the dog had been "trying" the lip would have been gone. Years later the marks are still there. No matter how confident for my own safety, I cannot protect my son or my wife. It is extremely difficult to always be in the right place at the right time and be between the other person and the dog. Only the dog owner could do that by controlling the dog. If the dog is not under control it is the same as randomly firing a gun. Why don't people get this?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Lewis eat your heart out…

When I was a teenager my best friend up the street had a girl living next door with a mongoose (pet one). I HATED THAT THING!!! It was always roaming around in my friend’s garden and when I ran past the house it came for me from nowhere! It usually went straight for the Achilles… Man was it quick… but not always quick enough… I think I must have broken the world 60m & 100m records several times in the eighties!

=====================================
For one who has no objective, nothing is relevant. (Confucius)
=====================================
Quote Reply
Re: Running outside [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom:

You only think you have your cat trained. I'd be willing to bet its the other way around, and that your cat has you trained. :)

-------------------------------------
Steve Perkins
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since I screwed up my IT band, treadmills have been a no-go, along with elliptical trainers. I can either run on an inside track, or face the wild world out there. The inside track at the gym is really small - like 1/16 of a mile - I may as well run around my kitchen. So I really have no choice but to run out in the wild.

I have never been chased by a dog, but I do see quite a few coyote's, foxes, skunks, rabbits, hawks, egrets, herons, pheasants and the occasional owl. None of them have tried to chase me yet, but every once in a while I get the feeling they are planning something...

In my experience, the biggest dangers to trail runners are gophers and horses. They are always digging or punching holes in the trails, which are the perfect size to catch your foot, twist your ankle or knee, and throw you in to the manzanita, poison oak or wild artichoke.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most murders occur at home, so it is much safer to go to the gym to run indoors. Since I have an attached garage, I can leave home without really going outside but I still have to venture across the treacherous parking lot. I have requested the city to build me a tunnel directly to the gym. They seem to be balking. I can't understand why, it's only about three miles.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Because of the obvious dangers and lack of time, I have hired someone to train and race for me. Except for getting out of the lazyboy, life is so much easier now.

David
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Despite all the "dangers" of running outside, it beats the heck out of indoor training any day! I get chased almost daily by this stupid little pug, but damn, if I can't outrun a pug I might as well hang up my running shoes. The real problem for me is all these jerks in their cars who think it's funny to see how close they can come to hitting me.

Don
Quote Reply
Re: Running outside [Kenney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]
Tom,its ok to look at girls,its the touching that gets you in trouble. When you want to know how they feel,its different of how they want to know how you feel(feelings)[/reply]

Thats funny ... took me a while to read it right but FUNNY.

Never been bothered by a dog. Have had a couple scare the day lights outta me until I realized that they were behind a fence.
I have no problem with people walking their well TRAINED dogs on a leash. It is the idiots that let their UNTRAINED dogs loose that bother me. I have a dog, 1/2 Shepard, 1/2 Malimute, looks like a wolf, scares the crap outt some people, others think he's gorgeous. Gently as can be unless one of our family members is not around, and he's very protective our house. I would never walk him off a leash, he could do some serious damage to someone.
Like Kenney said, stop using up our electricy to get your exercise, get outside where god intended us to be and get some exercise.
Quote Reply
Re: Running outside [Fluffyjoes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Never been bothered by a dog. Have had a couple scare the day lights outta me until I realized that they were behind a fence.

ROTFLMAO! Then for the next 5 minutes you look around and make sure nobody saw you jump and squeel like a sissy.

To make amtters worse, you look through the fence and its a beagle or another savage beast ... a cocker spaniel.

=======================
Quote Reply
Re: Running outside [TripleThreat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey don't laugh. At obedience training with my dog, the most vicious dog there was the Jack Russell. Damned thing even bit me. Meanwhile, Lola (the 70 lb pit bull) was as docile as a sheep. Go figure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been attacked by a dog while running in the middle of nowhere.

I would have much rather the owner had his dogs on a leash.

iambigkahunatony.com
Quote Reply
Re: Running outside [wmh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
People that let their dogs run loose can NEVER say "My dog has never bitten anyone". All they can say is "I have never seen my dog bite anyone."

If I were on a trail and a dog bit my son, I would be more focused on getting my son to the ER, then tracking down the dog's owner. So, if when I came back and the dog was gone, how would the owner know his dog is a "Biter"? Maybe this dog bites someone everyday, but just returns home before anyone finds him.

----------------------------------

It seems to me there are quite a few folks that love a cute puppy, but don't want the responsibility of a full grown dog. I don't think this necessarily reflects the average triathlete, who seemingly cares enough about their grown dog to go running with them frequently, etc. I don't want to make blanket, all-encompassing statements, but by the same token I'm not going to list any and all exceptions.

----------------------------------

Picturing the Rott lying next to the treadmill while leashed is cracking me up. That'd be one of those "picture worth a 1,000 words" type of things.

=======================
Quote Reply

Prev Next