Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Running help needed
Quote | Reply
"I have the need for speed"

My goal is to get my 5K running time back down under 20 minutes wherer it belongs.

My lifetime pr is under 19, last ten years; 19:20, since I turned 50: 19:45 but I never concentrated on of even liked the distance. Over the past 6 weeks I've done 3 5K races; 22:40, 22:12, 21:40

My problem is that I had surgery on both knees this year and my repaired petella tendons get very sore after any longish runs. My knees can handle hard runs of 3, 4, 5 miles, but when I upped the mileage to 8 my knees became very sore the next day. I didn't learn the first time so the following week I had the same problem. Then I tried a brick of 1 hr trainer ride with a 5 mile run. Same result; sore knees that night. So yesterday I tried 1/2 hr trainer with 6 mile run, same problem; my knees were so sore I had a hard time getting down the stairs. Everything was feeling good a while ago and I got away from icing. I iced again today after my trainer workout and I'll resume with it after all weekend workouts.

Does anyone have any ideas how I can build a running base without stressing the knees?

How can I run long enough so I can run fast enough to run fast again?

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: Running help needed [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pool running can be just what you are looking for. You can do almost every type of workout you need for running in the pool. If you find you can't get your heartrate high enough, then you do your speedworkout on the trails, whether it be a fartlek or a tempo run. Just realize that it is about as fun as the DMV.

Go Faster
Quote Reply
Re: Running help needed [ajm44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks,

I did run in the pool in july before I got permission to run outside. It was good to start but I never got the feel for it. I must have been doing it wrong, it felt more like I was riding my bike. I just took a new pair of New Balance 999's out of the closet and retired the two pairs of 878's I've been using since my return in july. Maybe that will help

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Running on soft surface and interval training can help! Have you used a personal running coach. It help to have someone to monitor your performance and to gradually increase your training load... Let me know, I can help!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
were you running shallow or deep? If running shallow did you wear shoes? (helps with traction) Shoes make a BIG difference when running in water! [shallow defined as somewhere btw. navel and nipple depth] Old running shoes with some extra holes cut will work ok. If running deep the tendency is to feel like you are cycling-- just make certain that you fully extend your knee and hip and pull the leg behind you before flexing your knee-- an exaggerated run--you also want to feel as tho you are reaching out with your foot/leg on the fwd phase of the running motion. This should feel less like a pedal stroke and more like a running motion (altho exaggerated).

You could just add one water run to your land run each week to take the stress off of your knees but keep your training levels up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I recently got the Evolution running DVD and book. So far, I'm pleased. He stresses injury prevention in his technique

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply