Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Running Group Faux Paus
Quote | Reply
What's your favorite ones?

Here's one: it's called a "Double Ghost."

I saw this happen yesterday with us. Member 1 invites new person to said running group at the time and place running group trains. Member 1 does not show up and ghosts the group. Guest shows up not knowing anyone. Everyone has to introduce themselves. THere's an awkard feeling. Group runs with guest. Group Cusses out Member 1 in emails for four hours straight after the run.

Then there's what I will call, the "Double Counter Ghost." I've only seen this one time. If you get caught in a "Double Counter Ghost," you are HISTORY!

This is the worst thing possible. Same situation as above, HOWEVER, at the same time set for the run by the group, Member 1, invites Guest 1 to the group, but then Member 1 runs somewhere else, at a place, on the other side of town, that day, for whatever reason.
Quote Reply
Re: Running Group Faux Paus [boothrand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Before we start any kind of discussion here, let me clarify one thing. Are we talking about adults here?

-
"Yeah, no one likes a smartass, but we all like stars" - Thom Yorke

smartasscoach.tri-oeiras.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I usually run by myself. I find it very therapeutic. So the only ghosts on my runs are the ones I invent. The longer the runs the more ghosts I run with. I usually win all arguments.

I do see your point though.

------------------------------------------------------------
"No one ever told me they made black fondant!" - Duff Goldman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are we talking about Augusta National Golf Club or a running group?
Quote Reply
Re: Running Group Faux Paus [smartasscoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trust me, this shit happens, in Portugal. Where is Fade? This is a good topic for the next issue of Runners World. Although I have canceled by subscription to the magazine, I think "run group" ghosting is going on all over the place.

I've done a counter ghost before. Didn't show, but then ran at the same time, some place else, on the other side of town, just because I was sick of that route. Now, I wouldn't invite someone and then not show with that new person. I have the ethics of a coyote but that's just too low.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess how much this bothers you depends on your personality. If I'm visiting a city and hear about a running group and the run is at a convenient time, I'll often just show up and introduce myself so I have someone to run with. I did this a few years back in Vancouver and ran with the Running Room group around Stanley Park. I've found that most runners are pretty friendly about someone joining their group and not like roadie cyclists that will try and hammer the new person that shows up :) To mee, the bigger Faux Pas would be to show up and try and hammer the group (I always make sure that I don't push the pace when running with new people and let someone else control the tempo) or to try and hammer the new person.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't get it. Is your group a members-only kind of thing? Are all members required to run with the group every time? Is it against the by-laws to run by yourself?

-C

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's the big deal?? Was the guest a lame-ass who half wheeled everyone?? Why would you find it awkward meeting someone new and enjoying a little novelty to your group?

Kinda sounds a bit elitist to me. Is your group a core of olympic caliber runners?? Did the guest hold you back from obtaining your training goals??

Kurt Luoni
US Sales Manager
Orca Wetsuits
Quote Reply
Re: Running Group Faux Paus [stageracer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No comment, since I was known as Casper for a while. I workout totally on how I feel, so if I am not up for group fun, I just Casper. I always qualify all my commitments with "I may join you" I have never told anyone I would be there and not shone up. And with a new guy I either tell them to to show up and I may be there or introduce themselves if I am not.
I am not a big fan of the "lets all circle and introduce ourselves" rides or runs, but some folks feel different about that. I am always glad to put my hand out an meet someone new to my groups, but if I am the new guy I usually don't move first. I guess it is a pack thing.
I think all groups need to have an understanding to wait 5min and 5 min only for stragglers, so we don't lose too much time to ghosts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess I don't see the problem. Are we talking about public roads that this running is taking place on?

Not sure why anyone would get cussed out for that. Sure it might be awkward but worse things happen everyday.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So what?

I'd just say "My name is _____, so and so told me about the run, and told me to come on by." Hopefully people would have the decency to make me feel welcome, and find someone my pace to keep me company, and not get lost.

This group needs to get a life.

Tri-ing for a cure.

NYtrigal's Team in Training Page

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Its not like you are invited to a poker party. If a new guys shows up in our group, he/she better know what pace the group is running at. They either stay with this pace or they dont. The first time I showed up, off 8 guys go with a bang at a sub 6 minute pace (for 7.6 mile run). Little did I know,these guys use this run as a mini race during the week. They are the top runners in our area. I hung with them for three miles then almost threw up. The next week a bit more. The point here is its THEIR GROUP. This is what they do and if I want to be a part of it, I better be a sub 17 5k runner (which I am not) which is why I dont show up anymore.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Everyone has to introduce themselves. THere's an awkard feeling. Group runs with guest. Group Cusses out Member 1 in emails for four hours straight after the run.
Wow, what am I missing? How awkward is it to introduce yourself to a new guy? Hi new guy, my name is Zock; what's your name? Bob? Nice to meet you Bob. How much of an asswipe could Bob have been that made it necessary to cuss out Member 1 for "four hours straight?" Seems odd you would refer to him as a "guest." Perhaps "inconvenient stranger" would be more appropriate to his status.
Last edited by: Zock: Dec 4, 05 14:58
Quote Reply