Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Running (shoes/gait) - pronate on one foot only
Quote | Reply
i have a quite neutral strike on my left foot but pronate moderately on the right. when i do a higher volume of road running i tend to get niggles on the right leg - patella tendon, ITB etc. nothing major but i'd like to prevent this.

i'm going to get a professional assessment done but am keen to understand options a bit first so i can best understand the advice i get.
  1. i'm not really keen on wearing pronation control shoes when my left doesn't need it.
  2. could a right footbed help by suporting my arch and distributing the load?
  3. i know i have a bit of an issue with my right knee coming in when i squat which i believe is due to a glute issue which is likely related and i am working on
  4. even walking my right foot lands in towards the centerline a bit - in principle i should encourage that out which would lead to a more even footstrike like the left but is that really possible?

Quote Reply
Re: Running (shoes/gait) - pronate on one foot only [pk1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I pronate in both feet, and I'm not exactly sure how I arrived at this, but for the past year I've been running with a power step insert in only my right shoe. for some reason after a lot of experimentation that just ended up being more comfortable. I haven't had a formal assessment done recently but maybe that means I pronate more on my right. that's potentially an option if you want to run in normal shoes but still have some support on one side.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: Running (shoes/gait) - pronate on one foot only [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm opposite in that I pronate more in my right leg like you but my right leg is bomber, whereas in my left foot I land more neutral and my left knee will get tweaked if I'm not paying attention. When I force pinky toe landing first in left foot makes knee better.

Though I had a pre existing left knee issue from way back when... patella didn't want to track straight.
Quote Reply
Re: Running (shoes/gait) - pronate on one foot only [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realbdeal wrote:
I pronate in both feet, and I'm not exactly sure how I arrived at this, but for the past year I've been running with a power step insert in only my right shoe. for some reason after a lot of experimentation that just ended up being more comfortable. I haven't had a formal assessment done recently but maybe that means I pronate more on my right. that's potentially an option if you want to run in normal shoes but still have some support on one side.

If I was you or the OP I think I'd try and stay away from self diagnosing and coming up with an unsymmetrical solution. The only situation I could think of to do that is if you had a difference somewhere that wasn't strength or flexibility but permanently physical. Like leg length. Then maybe you might use something like a shim on the recommendation of a professional but even then I'd want a second opinion. You stand the chance of ingraining a difference.

It seems logical to me that the aim should be symmetry. Hopefully you can get there with a diagnosis and then appropriate exercise to address the issue.

Maybe have a read of some of Dan's front page Hoka articles. There he talks about their approach to stable shoes through a wide shoe base and the foot being bucketed by the shoe. That seems to me to be something that wouldn't cause problems for a neutral foot and help the over pronating one. Doesn't have to be Hoka, quite a few shoes use this now.

Sorry to be a neigh-sayer but I know that if I had tried something like that then I'd be blaming it for any problem I had further down the line. Obviously it will vary but, for me, a visit to a sports physio is a fraction of the cost of a pair of running shoes and probably the best investment an injured runner can make. People say support your LBS, how about supporting your LSP?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I asses runners professionally. More than likely your knee caving in when you squat and your right foot over-pronating are related. Both movements the knee crashing or the foot (I’m guessing here from lots of practice) is probably turning out are are over compensating to keep you upright. The single insole in the shoe may work to alleviate the niggles short term. The insole is simply fixing the result. What you want to do and it’s harder, and takes more time is fix whatever is the cause.
Every client I work with gets a copy of Ready to Run by Kelly Starrett. If you can’t fix that glute using his techniques you need to find professional help.

Nobody is symmetrical. Everyone will have some areas of the body that are compromised and maybe other areas that are too strong. The idea is to get as balanced as you can. Scott Fauble who is one of the favorites to make the US Olympic Marathon team talks extensively about how out of balance he is. In his training log he logs the amount of time he does doing mobility work. Roughly he does 1 hour of mobility work every day. That allows him to put in 120 mile weeks. You won’t need an our a day but maybe 15 minutes a day will get that glute worked out and more balance in your running.

Dave Jewell
Free Run Speed

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is pretty simple. Get your hips right. Especially glute medius and adductors. Baseball squats and deadlifts heavy, side planks, crab walk.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are describing me EXACTLY!! I have played around with everything over my last 39 years of triathlon. The best solution *I* have found are Aetrex insoles. Just enough arch support to help with the right foot, but does not interfere at all with the left. I have tried two different (left and right) solutions/prescriptions over the year but always felt unbalanced.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: Running (shoes/gait) - pronate on one foot only [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks everyone, much as i thought but good to have it confirmed
Quote Reply