Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Rotor Cranks - would they help square, masher pedallers like me more than they would efficient pedallers?
Quote | Reply
Well, that's the question.....

.....apart from eliminating the dead spot which is plain to see from the design, would Rotor Cranks also help the pedalling style (efficiency thus) of people like me who mash the pedals and probably pedal in squares?

Are there greater benefits the worse your pedalling style is????? I'm sure this covers about 80% of all of us out there so.....

....I just can't 'pull the pedal back as if were brushing something off it on the road" when I'm trying hard to go fast.....know what I mean!!!!!

Stephen Perera
Gibraltar, Europe
graphics@gibraltar.gi
Quote Reply
Re: Rotor Cranks - would they help square, masher pedallers like me more than they would efficient pedallers? [sperera] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Look at the "effective chainring" chart on the Rotor Cranks site...specifically: the crankarm position related to the "effective chainring" between 3:00 and 5:00. It seems to me that the "mashers" would benefit from this characteristic, whereas "spinners" might benefit more from the minimizing the "dead spot". SO, perhaps the answer is YES to both pedalling types, for these two reasons. This is simply my opinion, not a scientific essay.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Sojourner [ In reply to ]
Re: Rotor Cranks - would they help square, masher pedallers like me more than they would efficient pedallers? [sperera] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, I believe it benefits both mashers and spinners. I am somewhere in the middle at 90 RPM. The Rotor system optimizes the angular rate of each crank independently in addition to providing variable effective chainring size. Varying the angular rate of the legs may sound a little odd at first, but it actually makes a lot of sense. Just as the swimmer's arm is slower when it is in the water, pulling against the load, and faster when it is recovering through the air for the next Power Phase, the Rotor System enables the cyclist to spend more time in the Power Phase. By virtue of its mechanical linkage, the Rotor System allows the cyclists to spend more time generating power during one revolution. The variance in angular rate is subtle to the rider, however, making the Rotor Crank System easy to adapt to.

You might think that spending more time in the power stroke is going to make the cyclist more tired. Actually, the opposite is the case. The kinematics of the Rotor system enable the cyclist to develop more power for a given level of effort by increasing the effective chainring size for the pedal down-stroke (power phase) while decreasing the effective chainring size for the pedal up-stroke.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by The Committee [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: The Spin Doctor: Oct 21, 04 8:08
Re: Rotor Cranks - would they help square, masher pedallers like me more than they would efficient pedallers? [Gary Tingley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Gary,
As you know I'm from Gibraltar and you commented I could get them from the factory in Madrid directly....

....can you give me the contact number in Madrid or do i just order them from the bike shop I normally buy from. I know they sell them as have seen one on the shelf before. What's best?

Normally when dealing directly they sell at the MSRP, but shops give you better prices!

The fact that you can give them back after 30 days with a full money-back guarantee is the clincher.....can't argue with that eh?! Is that implicitly stated when buying - the 30 days bit - we're talking Spain here....not the USA.

Another thing....do they fit in with Dura Ace 10-speed system...i.e. can they take the chain etc etc. and how do they compare to the Dura Ace 2004 10-speed crank in weight etc.

Stephen Perera
Gibraltar, Europe
graphics@gibraltar.gi
Quote Reply
Re: Rotor Cranks - would they help square, masher pedallers like me more than they would efficient pedallers? [The Spin Doctor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Shown in independent scientific studies to have no effect on heart rate, lactate threshold, efficiency, or performance."

The test was performed at 75 rpm, making it pretty much irrelevant to anyone who actually rides a bicycle. I would call that one "further testing required..."

Cousin Elwood - Team Over-the-hill Racing
Brought to you by the good folks at Metamucil and Geritol...
Quote Reply
Last edited by: The Spin Doctor: Oct 21, 04 8:52
Re: Rotor Cranks - would they help square, masher pedallers like me more than they would efficient pedallers? [The Spin Doctor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Care to explain what these mechanisms might be?"

Not germane to my post. NO ONE pedals at 75 rpm. If I test wattage, HR or lactate on a good cyclist (who would pedal between 90-105 rpm) and tell them to pedal at 75 rpm, the results of the test would be meaningless, because they wouldn't be comfortable nor efficient. Same goes with forcing them to pedal at an extremely high cadence.

Part of my off season base work with athletes that I coach is having them work specifically on cadence. I have to have them do most of this work on a spin bike or CT, because dramatic increases in cadence cause your efficiency and speed to drop.

A test using unrealistic parameters will not yield meaningful results. They may be right or they may be wrong, but their test methodology doesn't prove either.

I don't think Gary's ideas on the RCs are all that hot either. I've been using them for eight months and noticed no improvement. But then my training hasn't been up to snuff either. So my jury is still out on the product.

Last edited by: Cousin Elwood: Oct 21, 04 9:06
Quote Reply
Re: Rotor Cranks - would they help square, masher pedallers like me more than they would efficient pedallers? [Cousin Elwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cousin E,

The Oracle/Not a PC'er/ and now known as the Spin Doctor, has actually tested Rotor Cranks.

As a matter of fact, if you check back on his previous posts, you will see one of his many handles was Rotorcranker.

He got a great deal on the system from us, and we hoped that he would test them and give us his opinion, as a renound scientist and university researcher. We never heard back from him. Eventually he did post some of his experiences on a message board.

Unfortunately he set his system regulation point up in the #1 position for all his testing, which we do not reccomend. He obviously did not adapt to the system - they did not work for him. It is very difficult to adapt to the system using this position and the position is there only for specific uses, like possibly downhill MTB racing. The vast majority of Rotor Cranks users use the #3 center setting, which we reccomend.

Yes, there is one test showing no benefits from the system if you pedal at only 75 RPM using our first model, the RCK, which is no longer sold and has not been available since 2001. The new RS4X and RS4 models are very different than the RCK, and there are several more studies showing performance increases when using a cyclists normal cadence, and not restricting it. The power curves on our newer models are very different than the RCK, and greatly improved.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, they are Dura Ace and Campy 10 speed compatible

Here is the contact for Spain:

Rotor Componentes Tecnológicos
Crta. Torrejón-Ajalvir, km. 3.3
28864 Ajalvir, Madrid
Phone: +34 91 884 38 46
Fax: +34 91 884 38 65
E-Mail: info@rotorbike.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I have never posted as Rotorcranker."

Are you sure?

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...=Rotorcranker;#29383

Rotorcranker

The Spin Doctor

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not germane to my post. NO ONE pedals at 75 rpm.
Tell that to Sergei Gonchar or Bjorn Andersson.
I'm not prepared to accept that either pedals much at 75 rpm, although both are known mashers. I'm a masher, and I pedal 85-90.

If I test wattage, HR or lactate on a good cyclist (who would pedal between 90-105 rpm)
So you are claiming that all "good cyclists" only and always pedal between 90 and 105 rpm?
All? Heavens no. I never say never... First, people who pedal at 75 rpm (even if your above statement is correct) are of no interest to me, because I don't and can't. The best out there (Lance and Jan) pedal at 105-110 and 92-96 respectively.

I think you are throwing the baby out with the bathwater: data collected at 75 rpm may not perfectly reflect what might be observed at higher or lower cadences, but if there were a significant effect of something like Rotor cranks then there is still a very high probability you would be able to detect it.
There is probability of many things scientifically, the results of this test are invalid.

Furthermore, many people do pedal at 75 rpm (or even slower), and not just when going uphill (as the examples above illustrate).
Many? Why have I never encountered any? As a coach, I work with a few cyclists and ride with a lot more.

Quote Reply
Re: Rotor Cranks - would they help square, masher pedallers like me more than they would efficient pedallers? [Gary Tingley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"The vast majority of Rotor Cranks users use the #3 center setting, which we reccomend."

Thanks for your response. Is there a way to determine what the best setting might be for any individual? I'm a partial masher (about 90-95 rpm and my spin scans indicate the imbalance though not severe). I've been on the RCs for about eight months, but my training hasn't been regular enough to say if they're helping or hindering. I came out about 2 minutes slower on a couple of big races this year.

Should saddle height be changed (with RCs)?

Quote Reply
Re: Rotor Cranks - would they help square, masher pedallers like me more than they would efficient pedallers? [Cousin Elwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A higher setting on the regulation point will increase torque, and possibly slow cadence. I used the #2 setting for a few months but found that I could not manage more that 80-85 RPM whereas I normally ride at 90 RPM. The #3 setting is more comfortable for me. It is a personal preference.

Are you set in the #3 position?
Last edited by: Gary Tingley: Oct 21, 04 9:59
Quote Reply
Last edited by: The Spin Doctor: Oct 21, 04 10:07
Quote | Reply
You must have your own idea of what performance gains are. To me, lower lactate production, lower heart rate at a given wattage output, and less stress on ones knees are definately performance gains.

These were all the findings in the tests.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"To me, lower lactate production, lower heart rate at a given wattage output, and less stress on ones knees are definately performance gains. "

I have less stress on my knees just sitting here, I'm not going very fast.

Any tests that show increased continuous power output?
Quote Reply
Re: Rotor Cranks - would they help square, masher pedallers like me more than they would efficient pedallers? [Pooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I have less stress on my knees just sitting here, I'm not going very fast."

> Are you pedaling?

"Any tests that show increased continuous power output?"

> None have been conducted as of yet. We are working on it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Faster times are performance gains

Styrrell
Quote Reply

Prev Next